Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does heat exit engine bay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 10:48 AM
jjc508520
Melting Slicks

Received 386 Likes on 286 Posts

I prop my hood open about 3in after a hot run - no sense in letting all the rubber and plastic bake. Just enough to not have the underhood light stay on...
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (08-29-2018)
Old 08-27-2018, 11:19 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

As an FYI, cutting the rear hood seals might lower temperatures at low speed, but would introduce air under the hood at higher speeds (I believe about 30+ mph) because the base of the windshield is a high pressure zone. Air underneath the hood means more lift and drag. There is a reason cowl induction hoods are named induction, because they bring in air from the base of the windshield.
Harbgrogan (09-14-2018)
Old 08-28-2018, 09:05 AM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heat under the hood

Originally Posted by jjc508520
I prop my hood open about 3in after a hot run - no sense in letting all the rubber and plastic bake. Just enough to not have the underhood light stay on...
I do this too but I would like something more permanent....
Old 08-28-2018, 09:14 AM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Default Heat under the hood

Originally Posted by Tsumi
As an FYI, cutting the rear hood seals might lower temperatures at low speed, but would introduce air under the hood at higher speeds (I believe about 30+ mph) because the base of the windshield is a high pressure zone. Air underneath the hood means more lift and drag. There is a reason cowl induction hoods are named induction, because they bring in air from the base of the windshield.
I have been contemplating this now for several days. Under highway speeds the the openings in the seals will draw air into the engine compartment so therefore I do not believe there will be a hood lift.. I had a scoop on my old pickup truck with the opening in the back and if there was a leaf near that opening, the air would suck the leaf into the the engine... There is just too much air follow under the car. The opening(s) will provide more air flow into the engine area and also vent when is parked. The question is where the openings would be more effective and safe just in case I get rain on. Just my thoughts
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnny the Greek
I have been contemplating this now for several days. Under highway speeds the the openings in the seals will draw air into the engine compartment so therefore I do not believe there will be a hood lift.. I had a scoop on my old pickup truck with the opening in the back and if there was a leaf near that opening, the air would suck the leaf into the the engine... There is just too much air follow under the car. The opening(s) will provide more air flow into the engine area and also vent when is parked. The question is where the openings would be more effective and safe just in case I get rain on. Just my thoughts
You're thinking of it backwards. The hood does not have negative pressure. The base of the windshield has very high pressure. Hood vents relieve under hood pressure by allowing air to escape out the low pressure zone at the front of the hood. As air moves towards the back of the hood, pressure increases until the base of the windshield, where it is at its highest, and is higher than under hood pressure.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tsumi:
Harbgrogan (09-14-2018), Johnny the Greek (08-28-2018), Shomp (03-31-2019)
Old 08-29-2018, 01:06 PM
The Rabbi
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 333 Likes on 236 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '14,'18

Don't latch the hood down.

This reminds me back in the early '80s outside of Chicago I had a rv trailer parked at a campground with a lake. On the weekends the city folk would come for the day and immediately opened their hoods. Never knew why.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:31 PM
stief
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

underneath the car, up through the floorboards.......
Old 08-29-2018, 07:50 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Not overheat problem, just nowhere the heat to go when you are not moving!
Old 08-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Johnny the Greek
Not overheat problem, just nowhere the heat to go when you are not moving!
The only permanent solution that doesn't negatively affect driving dynamics is hood vents towards the front of the hood, ideally right behind the radiator.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:28 PM
Johnny the Greek
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tsumi
The only permanent solution that doesn't negatively affect driving dynamics is hood vents towards the front of the hood, ideally right behind the radiator.
With my cold air ram overheating is not an issue. The issue is that heat is retained in the engine area when the corvette is parked, even in my garage. The hottest place under the hood is around the engine near the headers and heads and it bakes the hood and everything around it....
Old 08-29-2018, 08:31 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

The hoods with three vents have vents for the headers. The Track-spec kit also comes with three vents, two at the side for the headers. However, if that is your only issue, just pop your hood open when you park it if you're so concerned about it. I wouldn't worry about it.
Johnny the Greek (08-29-2018)

Quick Reply: How does heat exit engine bay?