Sponsored by:

Wired FM modulators?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:03 PM
volk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wired FM modulators?

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to connect my ipod to my Bose stereo. Would a wired FM Modulator work? (see: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4wvQmAP...on.html?page=5 )

Are there any other better solutions?
Old 07-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Rupert
Instructor

I went with the wired fm modulator. I put the plug/switch in the center console and mounted the unit in the back by where the connections are to the power antenna. The way the plugs and the two piece console are arranged I thought it would be easier to put it in the back, as the plugs will be under the water fall instead under the radio surround so I can easily disconnect it if I have to remove the console. From a sound quality perspective it works well, but you have to do some adjustment to the volume on the IPOD as it is not a pre-amp output like you find on wired IPOD controllers.

I got a little fancy with the wiring. Since there is no switched power in the back of the car, I used the power lead for the power antenna and put a relay in line that is actuated when the power antenna is up so the unit is off when the radio is off and on when the radio is on.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '15-'16

I had a wired FM modulator in my old car. It was REALLY quiet; I had to crank the iPod to 100% and turn the volume way up on the factory stereo. It also dramatically reduced the sensitivity of the radio antenna.

This was some cheapy $50 unit from Best Buy. I was not at all pleased with the outcome. Make sure you read up on which one you end up buying. By the time you buy a quality unit you're probably close to the cost of that Peripheral iPod connector.

If you want real cheap you can wire your own aux input into the stock radio. Or you can sell your CD radio for a tape unit and run one of those cassette adapters. You'd probably make money on that swap.

My iPod is actually my iPhone which can pair via bluetooth to my Jabra car speakerphone. The Jabra has a built in FM transmitter, so I can listen to all the iPhone/iPod functions on the radio. It ends up behaving like the newer cars where you're listening to music, and it fades out and connects to a phone call, all over the car speakers. The FM transmitter is the only one I have ever used that is strong enough to overpower any other radio station in the area. Since I live in the Los Angeles area most FM transmitters are useless.

Anyway, a few more options for you to consider.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:38 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Just get the Ipod 2 Car kit. You're not going to be happy with the FM thing. They're horrible. Save the time and frustration and do it right the first time.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:48 PM
volk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr.TT
I had a wired FM modulator in my old car. It was REALLY quiet; I had to crank the iPod to 100% and turn the volume way up on the factory stereo. It also dramatically reduced the sensitivity of the radio antenna.

This was some cheapy $50 unit from Best Buy. I was not at all pleased with the outcome. Make sure you read up on which one you end up buying. By the time you buy a quality unit you're probably close to the cost of that Peripheral iPod connector.

If you want real cheap you can wire your own aux input into the stock radio. Or you can sell your CD radio for a tape unit and run one of those cassette adapters. You'd probably make money on that swap.

My iPod is actually my iPhone which can pair via bluetooth to my Jabra car speakerphone. The Jabra has a built in FM transmitter, so I can listen to all the iPhone/iPod functions on the radio. It ends up behaving like the newer cars where you're listening to music, and it fades out and connects to a phone call, all over the car speakers. The FM transmitter is the only one I have ever used that is strong enough to overpower any other radio station in the area. Since I live in the Los Angeles area most FM transmitters are useless.

Anyway, a few more options for you to consider.
Hmm. I love the idea of wireless (that way I can take it in both of my cars easily) but I didn't know they made one powerful enough yet to sound decent. Is there any distortion at all in the signal? Would you say CD quality? Which model Jabra do you have?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:11 PM
DFOR
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have a 12 disc CD player in the trunk. If so, you can get a GM10AUX35 and connect an ipod/mp3 using RCA audio inputs.

I haven't gotten one yet, but will soon.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by volk
Hmm. I love the idea of wireless (that way I can take it in both of my cars easily) but I didn't know they made one powerful enough yet to sound decent. Is there any distortion at all in the signal? Would you say CD quality? Which model Jabra do you have?

Thanks for the replies.
It's a Jabra SP700

http://www.jabra.com/sites/jabra/na-...abrasp700.aspx

It is definitely not CD quality. Any FM modulator/transmitter (wired or not) does not have the bandwidth to support CD quality sound. Neither does the bluetooth profile. It basically sounds as good as a clear FM station. No distortion, and no static, and no interference with competing stations, but it doesn't have the crispness or high fidelity of a CD. My C5 is noisy enough inside that this is good enough for me and I like having it seamlessly integrate phone calls and music. It does really well on phone calls, much better than a cheap bluetooth headset.

But yeah, if you're interested in sound quality, skip any kind of FM modulator and the tape adapter and go straight to the iPod 2 Car.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 AM
volk
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W
Just get the Ipod 2 Car kit. You're not going to be happy with the FM thing. They're horrible. Save the time and frustration and do it right the first time.
Yeah I need to do something wired. I want the best quality I can get. how much is the ipod 2 car kit?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:35 AM
volk
Instructor

What about this?
http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Yeah I need to do something wired. I want the best quality I can get. how much is the ipod 2 car kit?
I think I paid like $100 a few years ago.

Here is a good thread that I saved when I was looking:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...ipod2-car.html
Old 07-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Mr.TT
Melting Slicks

That product looks like it just adds RCA outputs to the factory unit so that you can drive your own amplifiers. Completely separate from adding an iPod connection.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That looks like an output not input.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:05 PM
volk
Instructor

Originally Posted by jedblanks
That looks like an output not input.
Yeah I saw that after I posted. Im checking out the ipod2car kits now.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM
volk
Instructor

I guess what I need is a PIE GM10-AUX, because I want to stream pandora over my iphone, and that will only play out through the minijack port.

You can get the gm10-aux adapter for cheap on ebay, but the cord to hook it up seems to be like $50-$60. Is there anywhere to get a cheaper cable?

Here's PIE Cor-Har Cable: http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p...iring_Harness/

Last edited by volk; 07-08-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:54 PM
DFOR
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If I am correct, this is the cable that connects into the gm10aux. Then to the ipod or mp3.

3.5mm mini plug to 2-RCA stereo audio cable. $5 on the big auction site.

Get notified of new replies

To Wired FM modulators?

Quick Reply: Wired FM modulators?