Double din HeadUnits on C5

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 07:34 AM
ramez75
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Double din HeadUnits on C5

Guys/Gals

I did some googling / research but its hard to make up ones mind just by looking at pictures (cost$$ is a factor too). I wanted to ask the C5 owners with the below Double Dins.

1. Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT
2. Pioneer AVIC-F900BT
3. Kenwood DNX6140

The reason I chose the above 3 only coz they are below $1000 had to put a budget otherwise sky is the limit. Also I didnt want the detachable face the one that slides down to be able to use the CD/DVD feature. Also I want to keep my Bose Speakers, I have a Kenwood amplifier too I want to use and the below are required.

Bluetooth (for phone);
XM Radio
FM/AM Radio
CD/DVD Playing (if needed depends on traffic )
GPS Nav
Touch Screen
Voice Recognition (optional)

I could not see what the differences are between Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT and Pioneer AVIC-F900BT hope some one can shed some light on that.

Also is the GPS data built in I mean the MAPS etc or is it read from a CD/DVD hence using the DVD/CD slot at all times when NAV is being used. I want to be able to play CD's while using the GPS NAV system.

From what I read so far a Bezel modification is required. The bluetooth option is ready for use I dont need any extras to buy just sync the phone and use the built in mic and the speakers of the car (Please correct me if I miss intrepreted something).
To use XM I will need GEX-P920XM (is that only for 90BT or can it be used with 900BT) I already have subscription.
I will need an antenna harness, mounting brackets, Harness adapter. Also at one place i read i need BOSE integration adapter.

So are there any other cables/wiring adapters needed that I might have missed.
Also any recommendations from anyone who owns anyone of the above 3 headunits (pros and cons).

Thank you in advance

RB

Last edited by ramez75; 07-13-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: words
Old 07-13-2009, 08:17 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by ramez75
guys/gals

i did some googling / research but its hard to make up ones mind just by looking at pictures (cost$$ is a factor too). I wanted to ask the c5 owners with the below double dins.

1. Pioneer premier avic-f90bt
2. Pioneer avic-f900bt
3. Kenwood dnx6140

the 90 and 910 are last years pioneer models and only available from ebay or a dealer who might ave some left. The new x910bt is the replacement.
i personally like the 6140 better but you will need to purchase the blutooth and xm as additional peices.

the reason i chose the above 3 only coz they are below $1000 had to put a budget otherwise sky is the limit. Also i didnt want the detachable face the one that slides down to be able to use the cd/dvd feature. Also i want to keep my bose speakers, i have a kenwood amplifier too i want to use and the below are required.

Bluetooth (for phone);
xm radio
fm/am radio
cd/dvd playing (if needed depends on traffic )
gps nav
touch screen
voice recognition (optional)

i could not see what the differences are between pioneer premier avic-f90bt and pioneer avic-f900bt hope some one can shed some light on that.
the 90bt has the ipod cable

also is the gps data built in i mean the maps etc or is it read from a cd/dvd hence using the dvd/cd slot at all times when nav is being used. I want to be able to play cd's while using the gps nav system.

All the ones listed you do not need a cd running for the nav. Kenwood has garmin based nav and if this is your main goal then you want kenwood. The nav is great. I have not seen what the new series of pioneer is like for nav but i sell more kenwood than pioneer for what its worth.
Clarion also has a new dd with built in nav as well i have heard is decent its below 1000.00 as well

from what i read so far a bezel modification is required.
you will need bezel modified yes. This is something i do as well
www.doubledmods.com
the bluetooth option is ready for use i dont need any extras to buy just sync the phone and use the built in mic and the speakers of the car (please correct me if i miss intrepreted something).
To use xm i will need gex-p920xm (is that only for 90bt or can it be used with 900bt)
both
i already have subscription.
I will need an antenna harness, mounting brackets, harness adapter. Also at one place i read i need bose integration adapter.

You will need mounting brackets or make some. I have them too. If not changing out the rest of the system you will need an adapter for the bose to work properly. I have the soundgate gmcrv2 peices in i use in my packages

so are there any other cables/wiring adapters needed that i might have missed.
Also any recommendations from anyone who owns anyone of the above 3 headunits (pros and cons).

Thank you in advance

rb

let me know if i can help you more with this. It is also a good idea to check out the audio section and do a search as there is a ton of info on installs.

Dennis
Old 07-13-2009, 08:52 AM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You know, both Chrysler and GM use 1.5 DIN openings. Ford is usually double DIN.

So why aren't there more 1.5 (none) and double Din (Few) radios manufactured?

IMO the plate that you have to put to make the single din radios fit is ugly.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:42 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by jedblanks
You know, both Chrysler and GM use 1.5 DIN openings. Ford is usually double DIN.

So why aren't there more 1.5 (none) and double Din (Few) radios manufactured?

IMO the plate that you have to put to make the single din radios fit is ugly.

There are alot of them, just not all of them have the option of NAV. Kenwood makes these for around 199.99 with no dvd or nav. Pioneer Clarion, Dual, JVC to name a few more options.

The thing is if your going to do this mod most people want to do it correct the first time and get something of quality and the features they want. If there is a need for people who do not want NAV or DVD in then i get get something in the 200.00 range for great sound quality.

Its all what the person wants. It just seems most of us on here have expensive taste
Old 07-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Lancejoker
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dennis is definitely the guy to talk to. I would go with a 7140 from Kenwood. With the rebate you can get that under a grand right now I believe.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:57 AM
ramez75
Pro

BearsFan

What about the Nav system does it run from the CD/DVD or are they built in for both Kenwood and Pioneer models.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:58 AM
ramez75
Pro

Originally Posted by Lancejoker
Dennis is definitely the guy to talk to. I would go with a 7140 from Kenwood. With the rebate you can get that under a grand right now I believe.
I will google Kenwood 7140. It seems from all the reviews I read. Everyone praise Pioneer for the resolution and built in systems whereas Kenwood for Speed and Garmen Nav.

Last edited by ramez75; 07-13-2009 at 10:11 AM. Reason: words
Old 07-13-2009, 11:20 AM
zbfast84
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THe kenwood is a better unit hands down the NAV is hard drive based it is much faster then the Pioneer you can listen to cds/dvds while Nav is running.The interface is extremely easy to use as well. Also the Ebrake bypass (watch movies while vehicle is moving) is much easier to do on the kenwood then Pioneer.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM
hattitude
Drifting

The 6140 comes with built-in bluetooth, but you will need the XM radio extra add on.

I have the 5120 (bluetooth is an add on) and I just ordered the 6140 from Dennis. I like the Kenwoods so much, I'm moving the 5120 to my truck and putting the 6140 in the vette.

I like the 5120/6140 because I prefer a volume ****, which they both have.

The Garmin GPS in the Kenwood unit is excellent. It doesn't require a CD to work. You can download an updater from the Kenwwod website to a CD, as an annual gps system upgrade, but it doesn't stay in the unit. It cost about $50.00. The Dodge NAV update CD for my truck cost $199.00, and their NAV unit is nowhere near as good as the Kenwood.

I vote go Kenwood........ Go with Dennis........

Good Luck,

Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
mosimann
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know about Kenwood, bu Pioneer uses Windows Mobile. It's unbelievable that it does not work on cell phones neither a car radio.

Some people like it because it's easy to customise but the system is soo slow, has so many glitches that I don't think it worths.

One of my GPSs was a very nice Navman, huge screen, internal HD. I had it replaced/fixed twice. Interface was beautiful but I got over it freezing once in a while and sold it as soon as they sent me a new unit.

My Garmin Zumo simply works, it's on the third map update (2010) and had no problems in almost 3 years.

My brand new Pioneer F700BT doesn't even have my road that it's here for years.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:20 PM
ramez75
Pro

Ok so if I go with something like Kenwood 6140
I will need of course to buy a modified bezel, I believe Dennis sell those.
And will need the Ken 6140 along with Kenwood KCA-XM100V XM Radio Adapter since I want XM Radio. The unit comes built in Bluetooth so I dont need anything extra there right?. For playing DVD/CD its all setup and all I need is maybe a bypass . Do I need anything to hook up my MP3 player I dont see any USB or SD Card Reader on the unit. Usually on the Laptop I hook it up through USB and it syncs how does it work with such unit.

What else is needed. The other thing is POWERING it up is there any modification I will need to do. What about the FM/AM radio part do I use the antenna that already exist part of the stock radio unit. Any adapters needed to hook it to the existing BOSE speakers. Also I have a Kenwood Amp I would like to use that too
Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by hattitude
The 6140 comes with built-in bluetooth, but you will need the XM radio extra add on.

I have the 5120 (bluetooth is an add on) and I just ordered the 6140 from Dennis. I like the Kenwoods so much, I'm moving the 5120 to my truck and putting the 6140 in the vette.

I like the 5120/6140 because I prefer a volume ****, which they both have.

The Garmin GPS in the Kenwood unit is excellent. It doesn't require a CD to work. You can download an updater from the Kenwwod website to a CD, as an annual gps system upgrade, but it doesn't stay in the unit. It cost about $50.00. The Dodge NAV update CD for my truck cost $199.00, and their NAV unit is nowhere near as good as the Kenwood.

I vote go Kenwood........ Go with Dennis........

Good Luck,

Thanks Bernie
Your second unit is on the way should be at my house tomorrow. It will then be out and on its way
Old 07-13-2009, 03:19 PM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Go to http://www.avic411.com for answers to your Pioneer questions, those guys have it going on. You want the "F" series.
However Pioneer has a new one out this month , the "X" series. I have had the F900BT for over a year, and it did have quite a few glitches in it, Pioneer has a new update coming out this month that should already be installed on the new units, like if you are in 2-d map mode now, the car icon will not orient up, so you have to think in reverse, that is fixed in the new update. The unit was slow to boot, but that is pretty much resolved, it uses Windows CE version 5.0 as the O/S, so there are a lot of hacks available to load onto the system.
Personally, I do not know if I would go this route again, the portable Garmins that are out now seem better than even the factory stuff I have seen.
One advantage is playing DVD's, that is a matter of choice as what you want out of the unit.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 PM
De_Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Ok so if I go with something like Kenwood 6140
I will need of course to buy a modified bezel, I believe Dennis sell those.
And will need the Ken 6140 along with Kenwood KCA-XM100V XM Radio Adapter since I want XM Radio. The unit comes built in Bluetooth so I dont need anything extra there right?. For playing DVD/CD its all setup and all I need is maybe a bypass . Do I need anything to hook up my MP3 player I dont see any USB or SD Card Reader on the unit. Usually on the Laptop I hook it up through USB and it syncs how does it work with such unit.

What else is needed. The other thing is POWERING it up is there any modification I will need to do. What about the FM/AM radio part do I use the antenna that already exist part of the stock radio unit. Any adapters needed to hook it to the existing BOSE speakers. Also I have a Kenwood Amp I would like to use that too
I love my 6140. It is an awesome headunit. In addition to the KCA-XM100V you also need a Minituner that actually plugs into the XM Adapter. Seems to me it rarely gets mentioned. The mini tuner can be had for $25 or there about. I prefer the physical **** on the 6140, it comes in handy when you want to raise or lower the volume quickly and it's still a very large screen. Dennis is absolutely great to work with when it comes to getting a modified bezel

Old 07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
ramez75
Pro

Originally Posted by De_Vette
I love my 6140. It is an awesome headunit. In addition to the KCA-XM100V you also need a Minituner that actually plugs into the XM Adapter. Seems to me it rarely gets mentioned. The mini tuner can be had for $25 or there about. I prefer the physical **** on the 6140, it comes in handy when you want to raise or lower the volume quickly and it's still a very large screen. Dennis is absolutely great to work with when it comes to getting a modified bezel

It looks sweet, I love the setup.........so once you had everything you installed it your self i believe you take out you stock ite. Did you have to move the A/C unit higher or it is still in its same location????
Old 07-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Silverbullet6spd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the F90BT. nav and ipod takes roughly 30-45 seconds to boot up. Radio comes on in about 5-8 seconds. I got it from Amazon.com for $600 brand new. The kenwood might be a little nicer, but could not justify the $. The nav is built in and seems to work great. Bluetooth operation is very good. i don't use the voice command very much, so can't elaborate on that.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Thanks Bernie
Your second unit is on the way should be at my house tomorrow. It will then be out and on its way
Thanks Dennis.....

Ok so if I go with something like Kenwood 6140 I will need of course to buy a modified bezel, I believe Dennis sell those.

1) And will need the Ken 6140 along with Kenwood KCA-XM100V XM Radio Adapter since I want XM Radio.

2) The unit comes built in Bluetooth so I dont need anything extra there right?.

3) For playing DVD/CD its all setup and all I need is maybe a bypass .

4) Do I need anything to hook up my MP3 player I dont see any USB or SD Card Reader on the unit. Usually on the Laptop I hook it up through USB and it syncs how does it work with such unit.

5) What else is needed. The other thing is POWERING it up is there any modification I will need to do.

6) What about the FM/AM radio part do I use the antenna that already exist part of the stock radio unit.

7) Any adapters needed to hook it to the existing BOSE speakers.

8)Also I have a Kenwood Amp I would like to use that too

Based on my install experience......

1) I don't know about the XM radio as I don't use it.

2) The bluetooth is built-in on the 6140, the 5120 had a separate module

3) CD/DVD's just drop in the slot and play. If your co-pilot wants to play DVD's while you are driving, just ground the emergency brake wire.

4) It has a USB input, that's where I hook up the IPod adapter. You can also use the USB input to add custom pics to the display

5) You will need to run a power wire (easy) for the unit to power up

6) You will need an adapter for the antenna to hook up to the stock AM/FM antenna

7) You need an adapter to have the head unit work with the stock Bose system.

8) I am unsure about connecting to an aftermarket amp as I have not done this.

Dennis sells both HU & antenna adapters with his bezel install kit, along with the custom mounting brackets.

Good Luck...

Last edited by hattitude; 07-14-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Double din HeadUnits on C5

Old 07-16-2009, 07:31 AM
ramez75
Pro

hattitude

Did you have to move the A/C unit location to accomodate for the Kenwood DNX6140
Old 07-16-2009, 08:56 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Where do you (Post DD Mod) guys run the power cord for your radar detector after you lose the cigarette lighter? I know you can hard wire them, however is that the option you all choose?
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

hattitude

Did you have to move the A/C unit location to accomodate for the Kenwood DNX6140

Hey Ramez
sorry i missed your call yesterday. I got message late last night.

on a bezel with no ash tray you will need to lower the controls yes

Quick Reply: Double din HeadUnits on C5