C5 Clear Headlight Housings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:06 PM
08JSBZ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Clear Headlight Housings?

I like the Pop up headlights....

I dont want to change to a fixed headlight .

What im searching for is a New Housing that is clear instead of OEM color and blurriness. They Arent clear enough to see the Bulb. Putting HID's in and Want maximum exposure out of them!

Anyone?
Old 08-05-2009, 02:18 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Say what???
Old 08-05-2009, 02:32 PM
08JSBZ
Racer

lol say for instance the headlights in this auction ...there not the same as the stock tahoe ones http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-02...ayphotohosting
Old 08-05-2009, 02:41 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

I don't know if anyone makes anything for the C5 like that, but this is the best deal on pop ups right now (used) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...sing-hids.html

The new ones will be back in production soon also.
Old 08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

some people have cut off the stock lenses and replaced them with a clear sheet of lexan. not easy to do! the best bet for replacing the stock lights but retaining stock-like popups is to replace them with a projector assembly like the radioflyer light cannons or the ACA lights.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:03 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Another option is the Euro Spec glass headlights

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...ssemb-new.html
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 PM
New Jersey
Racer

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W
I don't know if anyone makes anything for the C5 like that, but this is the best deal on pop ups right now (used) http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...sing-hids.html

The new ones will be back in production soon also.
yeah bro, email me an offer
Old 08-06-2009, 12:17 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Doesn't help if you want HIDs but mine are the Euros

Its a glass lens instead of flat plastic and the facets shape the beam

Old 08-06-2009, 12:42 AM
karateboi87
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Doesn't help if you want HIDs but mine are the Euros

Its a glass lens instead of flat plastic and the facets shape the beam
That's HID? That's the first time I've seen HIDs in euro housing.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:44 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by karateboi87
Just throw an H4 HID bulb in there. I've sold a few to guys running Euros.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:19 AM
08JSBZ
Racer

Just got my HID's put in and let me tell you.. Not fun lol

I cant get the headlights to close unless I turn the brights on?/
Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Not HIDs

135/90 dual filament high wattage bulbs
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 AM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Not HIDs

135/90 dual filament high wattage bulbs
They look decent.

Obviously projectors are the best way to go but not everyone wants to spend that much.

I've had my C5 for a few months now and I still haven't seen how the stock lights are worse than other stock cars. I have driven my car plenty of times at night..

I have driven like 5 cars since I was 16 and the C5's halogen headlight is just as bright as other cars I've had...

If I win the lottery, I'll get a set of ACA or "light cannon" though
Old 08-06-2009, 10:38 AM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

How's this for clear:

The "light cannons" are HIDs with projector optics. A smooth and powerful headlight patttern using a DOT approved module garunteed NOT to blind oncoming traffic while still retaining plenty of output.

Video Comparison between stock and my kit:

Here's some of my customer's shots:

If you're interested in a set, let me know. The base kit starts at $750 shipped and includes everything you'll need to swap out your lights including my cell phone # for tech support should you need it.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
08JSBZ
Racer

Looks nice but not spending $750 for a new housing ...haha

Nice product though
Old 08-06-2009, 11:17 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Originally Posted by 01redZ
Just got my HID's put in and let me tell you.. Not fun lol

I cant get the headlights to close unless I turn the brights on?/
You need this: http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...8&categoryId=4

I'm expecting my shipment of 300 units in tomorrow. I just ran out of the 250 I got in 3 weeks ago.

They look decent.

Obviously projectors are the best way to go but not everyone wants to spend that much.

I've had my C5 for a few months now and I still haven't seen how the stock lights are worse than other stock cars. I have driven my car plenty of times at night..

I have driven like 5 cars since I was 16 and the C5's halogen headlight is just as bright as other cars I've had...

If I win the lottery, I'll get a set of ACA or "light cannon" though
No way. Stock is bad! My Camaro had better lights stock. I run HIDs now in all and have no complaints.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:37 AM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jhonathan_W
You need this: http://www.shop.jwmotoring.com/produ...8&categoryId=4

I'm expecting my shipment of 300 units in tomorrow. I just ran out of the 250 I got in 3 weeks ago.

No way. Stock is bad! My Camaro had better lights stock. I run HIDs now in all and have no complaints.

C5 stock headlights are absolute crap! you just haven't "seen the light" yet!

stock housings with silverstars:

Stock housings with HIDs...much more light, same poor stock-light pattern.

reflector HIDs vs Projector HIDs

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Clear Headlight Housings?

Old 08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

I wasn't saying HID isn't lighting up the road.. I already mentioned projectors are the BEST lighting possible.

But what I was saying is, comparing to all the previous vehicles I've driven, I don't see the stock light any worse. That includes.. 1993 Acura Integra, 1997 Toyota Camry, 2000 Toyota Avalon, 2006 Nissan Sentra. I'm not talking about lumens, just how well my eyes can see when I'm driving down the road.

As I said, if I win the lottery then I'll pay that $600-800 for a headlight set.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:52 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

I wasn't saying HID isn't lighting up the road.. I already mentioned projectors are the BEST lighting possible.

But what I was saying is, comparing to all the previous vehicles I've driven, I don't see the stock light any worse. That includes.. 1993 Acura Integra, 1997 Toyota Camry, 2000 Toyota Avalon, 2006 Nissan Sentra. I'm not talking about lumens, just how well my eyes can see when I'm driving down the road.

As I said, if I win the lottery then I'll pay that $600-800 for a headlight set.
I was just trying to illustrate how poor the stock headlights are. all those cars you've had had headlights this bad?

that curb is what 30-40 ft away? with stock lights you out-drive the low beams at about 35mph or less.

I remember it being terrifying to drive through central VA at night, which I did often. Often under cloudy skys. there would be sections where there were no other people, no towns, no cities and no street lights. if another car came up heading the other way you have no choice but to dim for them. I remember being nervous as those cars passed me because you could look up ahead of you and with no supplemental light coming from anywhere...my gosh there is no illumination on the pavement at all more than 35ft in front of my car.
I had to wire the fog lights and low beams to stay on with the high beams just to make that safe.

I have an SHO, also known for poor headlights, better than the Corvette's. and a focus, also better than the Vette's. my girlfriend's old 88 honda had 35W low beams and they were about as crappy as the vette's stock lights. My dad has in his fleet a 94 silverado and its stock headlights are simply awesome! I don't know who approves headlight designs or anything, but I honestly feel that the stock low beams on a C5 are dangerously underpowered. They simply don't put enough light on the road.
Old 08-06-2009, 04:47 PM
karateboi87
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcgilles
I was just trying to illustrate how poor the stock headlights are. all those cars you've had had headlights this bad?
that curb is what 30-40 ft away? with stock lights you out-drive the low beams at about 35mph or less.

I remember it being terrifying to drive through central VA at night, which I did often. Often under cloudy skys. there would be sections where there were no other people, no towns, no cities and no street lights. if another car came up heading the other way you have no choice but to dim for them. I remember being nervous as those cars passed me because you could look up ahead of you and with no supplemental light coming from anywhere...my gosh there is no illumination on the pavement at all more than 35ft in front of my car.
I had to wire the fog lights and low beams to stay on with the high beams just to make that safe.

I have an SHO, also known for poor headlights, better than the Corvette's. and a focus, also better than the Vette's. my girlfriend's old 88 honda had 35W low beams and they were about as crappy as the vette's stock lights. My dad has in his fleet a 94 silverado and its stock headlights are simply awesome! I don't know who approves headlight designs or anything, but I honestly feel that the stock low beams on a C5 are dangerously underpowered. They simply don't put enough light on the road.
Well, my first experience on the C5 night driving was on my way back to Illinois from Florida (where I bought my car), and I drove on the interstate with those headlights.. before I got home, I had to drop off my friend at a city like 40 minutes away, and the road was rural, no headlights. I felt fine going 50-60. And I've taken several night drives since then, and the lights work fine for me. I don't out run it.

I noticed how bad your photo made it look, but I don't think my headlights are this bad. I'm also sure they are completely stock, not HID or anything (since it's still yellowish).. also doubt they are 55watt replacements.

So who knows.. to help the OP, does anyone have photos of the euro headlights output? Like output to a wall or something, so he can see if they are worth the improvement.

Quick Reply: C5 Clear Headlight Housings?