Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver-side headlight won't pop up...

Old 10-13-2011, 09:04 PM
red-in-la
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Now I remember why it seemed important to me about the arms. I just reviewed the removal/installation procedures in the FSM. It specifically says to take note of the linkage to motor relationship for reassembly.

Then during the installation, it says to place the pivot arm in the position noted prior to removal.

The pivot arm nut only gets 5.6Nm torque while the other two get 6.8Nm.
I saw that part about putting the pivot arm in the same position. Unfortunately, the more I think about my situation and look at what the previous owners left I'm thinking they had the same problem. They were just more inept and had less mechanical skills or desire to fix the problem.

So I've got to find that sweet spot for the pivot arm I'm thinking I'll take the light apart at the pivot points and see if I can puzzle out the geometry. On the road till Sunday, so I'm going to start on it Monday.

The things that I have to puzzle out are the motor runs till it hits the stops; the stops are not adjustable; and all you have to do is rotate the motor to align the gear shaft and actuator arm to slide it on. I'm sort of at a loss as to what's really adjustable at this point so I'll spend some time staring at the damn thing

btw, u fly for a living?
Old 10-13-2011, 09:29 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Use to, not for a while now. Not sure I could tolerate TSA these days just to get to my bird to do my job. Others are more tolerant than I, I suppose.

Sorry man, I feel for ya these things can be aggrevating. All I remember was the passenger side went on easily but the drivers side did not. I recall having to reposition the shaft and the pivot arm several times, and several cursing binges before it finally went on correctly. The arm is keyed so it is possible to not have it seat properly. It's been a few years since I R&R'd mine. Again, forum mechanics is difficult cause we can't see what your seeing.

I just looked at my original motors they are in the closet in the boxes (I plan to rebuild them one day) and it is possible for that arm not to seat.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM
red-in-la
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Use to, not for a while now. Not sure I could tolerate TSA these days just to get to my bird to do my job. Others are more tolerant than I, I suppose.

Sorry man, I feel for ya these things can be aggrevating. All I remember was the passenger side went on easily but the drivers side did not. I recall having to reposition the shaft and the pivot arm several times, and several cursing binges before it finally went on correctly. The arm is keyed so it is possible to not have it seat properly. It's been a few years since I R&R'd mine. Again, forum mechanics is difficult cause we can't see what your seeing.

I just looked at my original motors they are in the closet in the boxes (I plan to rebuild them one day) and it is possible for that arm not to seat.
Good for you. I'm still doing it but on the corporate side. TSA isn't the pain it is on the other side.

hehe.... When I get home and open the light up again I'll get you on Skype ! Thanks for the "keyed" tip. I'll double check that part.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:16 PM
goober51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rathi134
I have been having a similar issue atfer the gear change. The one thing I do that makes it work for a bit is to manually turn the **** just a bit. Honestly the **** feels really tight. Once I turn the **** a bit , the lights work perfectly. After sitting for a bit then the driver's side will not open unless I turn the **** a bit. I may go ahead and try to cleaning the connection, especially since it has been off and on so much for replacing the gear.
My passenger side just started doing exactly the same thing. I did the Brent Franker gear gear install a few mos. ago..It did fine until recently..I am going to tk the motor back out and chk everything.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:17 PM
red-in-la
Instructor

Wondering if anyone has taken the actual motor apart?

NOT the gear box.

If so, any tricks, tips, gotchas that would come in handy?

Was going to post a pic of the gear box but can't find a menu item to do that.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:12 PM
goober51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goober51
My passenger side just started doing exactly the same thing. I did the Brent Franker gear gear install a few mos. ago..It did fine until recently..I am going to tk the motor back out and chk everything.
ok,here is what I have discovered: If I turn the lights off w/ the engine running, there's a good chance the passenger side will not come up the next time I turn them on. I then have to turn the **** CCW a few turns to get it to come up. If I turn the lights off after shutting engine off, the lights work ok every time. makes no sense to me.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
PilotofCorvette
Instructor

Same problem, check hood alignment. Mine was rubbing the hood when opening.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:14 PM
wschenker
4th Gear

I just replaced the battery and now the drivers side headlight door opens, but won't go down. the passenger side door won't come up at all. Everything worked perfect before I replaced the battery. What did I do? Is there a reset?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:08 PM
c31980
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have the same issue befor turn out that they were 35w .NOTE: the oem is 55w so yo need a 55w in order to work correctly .then i switched to the 55w version evrything working ok.
so either to switch to 55w or use a resistor
The following users liked this post:
STALION (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 AM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Previous posts range from 10 to 3 years.
The following users liked this post:
STALION (05-29-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 08:51 AM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by laurent_zo6
Previous posts range from 10 to 3 years.
Agreed and shows this is a long term problem that all have not solved. Changing the bump stops and rebuild was the fix for me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver-side headlight won't pop up...