Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front license plate. how are you displaying yours?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 01:13 AM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

If it is a law, then display as it should be accordingly to the law in your state. I have been pulled over and wasted an hour or so w/out displaying the front plate. Why bother, buy a stock GM one and paint it to match. One less thing to worry about
Old 09-30-2009, 01:20 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I wouldn't last an hour in England without a plate. I tried the color coded insert but now I have the retractable type plate holder. Theres a manual version and one with a cockpit switch and motor

Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by DeeGee
I wouldn't last an hour in England without a plate. I tried the color coded insert but now I have the retractable type plate holder. Theres a manual version and one with a cockpit switch and motor

Your James Bond type may not cut the mustard here smash: Glad to see you posting Dave That is a great upgrade if you can pull it off
Old 09-30-2009, 01:32 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1
Your James Bond type may not cut the mustard here smash: Glad to see you posting Dave That is a great upgrade if you can pull it off
The police seem to cut us some slack here if the car is not able to take full sized Brit plates. Its been on a while now and no stops yet
Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have the plate mounted in the stock location but the cover fits back over it. Even though it isn't visible I just have to pop the cover off and there it is. 10 years though without being asked where my plate is, LEO's seem to cut Vettes slack on the front plate issue.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:18 AM
thebkguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is this front plate u speak of
Old 09-30-2009, 06:31 AM
mojo1
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Old 09-30-2009, 11:52 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
It means if your going to own a sports car, there are certain things that come with it. Civics’ are cheap to own.. I said this before but I say it one more time, If $150 is to much money, you might want to drive something else. You got to pay to play the game. I've got $150 in one center cap. Its the same principal for owning a Ferrari and doing the maintenance. If you cant afford the maintenance, you don’t need it.
Wow, you have $150 in one center cap!? Are you bragging that your wheels are so expensive or that you have found a stupid way to **** away $600? Hey bro, if you can justifity spending money in such a way then that is well and good. Different strokes for different folks. I for one don't see it necessary to fine people $150 for a plate that is not necessary in the first place. Think about it, if it was really a problem, why don't ALL states make it big deal? Anyway, I am very impressed with how much money you make and put into your car, how much else more do you have invested than I do. I'm just a regular guy that works hard to pay for what I want, so once I get to your level of income, maybe I won't see $150 as a lot of money. However, I do manage to mod my car, make the payments on it, and do all the maintenance at the same time but thanks for assuming that I cannot douchewaffle. Oh, and no one "needs" a Corvette, they are toys not necessary means of transportation.

Originally Posted by joshtownsend
The theory behind the "plate in the windshield" idea is when a cop drives past you, they do not look at your front plate, they look at your windshield to see you inspection, registration...ever wonder why its a differ color ever year??? easy visual inspection on there part and they know for instance, if yellow was the color for 2008 and it 2009, your out of date. the can pull you over and do their thing. When they drive by and see a plate in the windshield, they know its not in the front and your trying to make up for something. You an easy target for them to stop. if a car looks nice, such as a vette, generally they will not say anything,. Cops are humans too and a lot of them are car guys. Rules are rules so it is illegal, but so is doing 61 in a 60..how many time you get caught doing that?
I never said cops are not regular people too, hell one is a good friend of mine. However, he does understand my problems with SOME of them when I tell him the stories I have about getting pulled over for not speeding or breaking any laws, told to get out of my car and have them search it, taking three hours of my time only for them to tell me that nothing was wrong in the first place. Also the one time on Christmas day in 2003 when I was dating a White female and we were just enjoying hanging out in my car at the park and a cop comes over to "check to make sure everything is okay" while he asks me to get out of the car, makes sure my pants are up and stays parked at the park to spots down until she said she was feeling nauseated by the cops actions and just wanted to leave. So you go make sit on your "holier than thou chair" and look down upon me all you want, just do not talk to me about it unless it's via pm.

Respectfully,

-Alex
Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

ALEX my man you got to relax! some people will never understand because they dont want to. Me on the other hand i have been there so i know, just let it go and move on or you will be responding to this stuff for days!
Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good advise man

-Alex
Old 09-30-2009, 01:02 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Timbrr
I bought a clear plate holder from West Coast Corvette. Taped off the inside and used the spray can lid and silver dollars for the top and bottom raduis. Then sprayed the inside to match the car.

Usually I think the painted molded covers look tacky. But yours looks good (so does SLYDER's). Plus you're from Iowa so you can do no wrong.

In Missouri front plates are required. I run the factory plate surround in black (car's MSG) with a clear cover, just over the plate. Looks good to me, and no hassles.
Old 09-30-2009, 02:51 PM
Warped Sol
Racer

Drove 11 years in a supercharge Honda Del Sol and one year in the Z06 without a front plate with not being stopped once. Nada.

Police friend of mine said that if they stopped every Corvette with out a front plate to had out tickets............they wouldn't have time to catch bad guys.

Generally ignored. I bet it is used as an excuse to pull someone over to fish for other issues. Profiling probably. Otherwise, plateless forever!
Old 10-01-2009, 12:47 PM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

The whole front plate issue is a real PITA!
Old 10-01-2009, 02:04 PM
LoudassZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

Mine is nicely displayed underneath the corvette logo cover haha... I always carry a screw drive to take it off if need be. But knock on wood nobody bothers me
Old 10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
JerG
Pro

It's the law in NJ to fully display your front plate so that's what I do when driving. At a car show or cruise night, I place my cover over the plate ... it's held nicely with a strip of
velcro on the bottom between the screw holes. The only problem is remembering to take the cover off for the drive home, most of the time I forget.

Jerry
Old 10-01-2009, 09:11 PM
KGVette
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mojo1
Show Off!
Old 10-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 139 Likes on 130 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I dont display it, its under the passengers floor mat

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate. how are you displaying yours?

Old 10-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by DeeGee

Honestly, I do not see the point of that invention.

1. Ok Its good to have when you want to hide the plate at car show. But then you put it back up when driving so that you wont get a ticket. It looks even worse on the side like that.

2. So when you get pulled over, you going to tell the cop, "wait, let me pull it up" Most cops will tell you "its too late, I did not see it when i stopped you so heres your ticket."

3. When its in hiding mode, It looks like something is bolted up under the bumper that doesnt belong there

Last edited by Ikester; 10-01-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:09 PM
cookrent
Pro

St. Jude Donor '08

This works for me

I tried this way and it did not work

Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 PM
AU Eagle
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11, '14

Originally Posted by cookrent
This works for me

I need to find one of these.

Quick Reply: Front license plate. how are you displaying yours?