Would this work:

http://www.thehoffmangroup.com/autol...&refint=footer
Old 02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
I accept your challange

we'll see how much space i have to work with, but the LED flashlight is a really nice idea....and i just happen to have a crap load of LEDs laying around
make this your next product for us RadioFlyer - I would buy one!
Old 02-25-2010, 05:20 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by redrckt97
make this your next product for us RadioFlyer - I would buy one!
This would be a modification to an existing Corvette flip-key fob. I do not have the tools to manufactuer the units themselves...or I would have one by now.

Originally Posted by groovyjay
Assuming you could somehow get your existing key to mount, those would work but only with aftermarket alarm systems.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:32 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

NEET!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Crewrow
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got off the phone with that Hoffman company, vette owners would have to by a transponder bypass unit to use their keys. It's about $50 so the total with key and unit would be a little less than $150...that's a lot for a cool key...
Old 02-26-2010, 02:38 PM
Crewrow
Racer

Default corvettekey

Anyone have news on these guys? I know there was a thread going around not too long ago but someone having a hard time getting the key they ordered....
Old 02-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Retro99
Racer

Originally Posted by Crewrow
Just got off the phone with that Hoffman company, vette owners would have to by a transponder bypass unit to use their keys. It's about $50 so the total with key and unit would be a little less than $150...that's a lot for a cool key...
i would just buy it and customize a GM blank with the correct Vats chip to fit in their flip unit just like their blank. its not that hard.. cut the head off ur key and shape it the same as the blank they send u. anyone with a dremmel and a steady hand could do it

..this way is cheaper, aaaand ur not bypassing the security feature of having a vats chip in ur key

Last edited by Retro99; 02-27-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Crewrow
Racer

Originally Posted by Retro99
i would just buy it and customize a GM blank with the correct Vats chip to fit in their flip unit just like their blank. its not that hard.. cut the head off ur key and shape it the same as the blank they send u. anyone with a dremmel and a steady hand could do it

..this way is cheaper, aaaand ur not bypassing the security feature of having a vats chip in ur key
Hmm that's actually an interesting idea.....have to figure if I know anyone with those qualifications...
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by YLO Z06
I picked one up from a Forum member a few weeks ago. The key was already cut for another car, and that key had a differnet VATS number, but after a little R&R, it came out great
  1. Bought a replacement double-sided key blank with the correct VATS # from that auction site for like $7,
  2. Had local hardware store cut key
  3. Removed old key from switchblade remote (remove the dowel pin holding the key to the switch)
  4. cut head of new key to match old key for insertion into the remote (I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel)
  5. Reinsert dowel into new key and remote base
Did you remove the dowl roed with the key mechanism still in the housing or did you figure out how to remove the key from the FOB?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:22 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08

Update: I was able to completely dis-assemble the Flip-key FOB. I had a rather challenging time disassembling the top portion trying not to makee perminant marks in the housing with the screwdrivers. In the end, this made acceessing the dowl rod that holds the key MUCH easier:

Unfortionatly, there just doesn't look like there's enough room for a LED and a button like i'd hoped. I'm still looking into this and considering tapping power from the FOB remote to a PLCC2 LED and a VERY tiny button-switch to be placed in the cavity next to the key hinge. Stay tuned for that one....

This picture shows the dowel rod position. By cutting the sharp eedge from a traditional nail, I held the nail with pliers and gently tapped it with a hammer to push the dowl out.

Cutting my spare key was rather easy once i had a good view of the original key. Three cuts with a dremel cut-off wheel and a small slit where the dowl would sit. I set the newly cut key in the hinge mechanism then used a 1/16" drill bit to make sure the notch would be a good seat for the dowl rod.

The rest of the transfer was following the install guide.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Retro99
Racer

awesome bro! thats exactly wat i was picturing in my head!

Quick Reply: Corvette "switchblade" key FOB