C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Shan15
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?

Hi,

I was just wondering what you guys thought about the idea of an 18 year old owning a corvette?

I have been a corvette fans for as long as i loved cars (7 years old) and have always wanted to own one. I now have a stable enough job to where i can most likely (90% sure) finance a c5 vette for about 17k. I currently drive a 2009 rabbit that my parents bought be in highschool, i really appreciate it and all, but i just need something with more grunt to it.

My initial idea was to get a Pontiac Trans Am ws6 (4th gen ls1's). It would be cheaper, possibly cheaper to mod, and cheaper insurance... But there is just something about the corvette that keeps me drawn to it.

So yea just wondering if i should buy this car? it will be a DD for me also, and also at up to what mileage can the vettes be reliable?
Old 11-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I see nothing wrong with it at all, Ihave both a WS6 and a C5 and they are both nice cars, I belive a nice WS6 can cost as much as a C5 if not more, You sound like you would do just fine is a C5 or a WS6, They are 2 different beasts, My C5 is a lot more fun to drive and a great car for road trips, The WS6 is a bit faster than my C5 in a stright line, Just a hair.
Bill

Old 11-28-2009, 01:30 AM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go for it but respect these car
Old 11-28-2009, 01:35 AM
dachevy
Burning Brakes

I guess this is a question for yourself and possibly your parents...Do you feel you are mature enough for a car with this potential power and not have the urge "as even adults " to speed on public roads? In the day lol, when I was your age I purchased a 1965 chevelle SS 327 , 4 speed , she was a beauty ...and babied it.... Surely a big step from a VW.. You also may want to check with your auto insurance and check prices, hopefully that will not be the deciding factor; but could be quite expensive based on being 18 and a male. Wish you the best ... and good luck .. Regards to high mileage on a vette, if overall it's given proper maintenance, should not be a major concern.. As you know will not be much room for your buddies to ride with you , just a draw back to a sports car...
Old 11-28-2009, 01:38 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd say go for it! Nowadays, C5's are getting to be fairly affordable for even high school kids. I was 20 when I bought mine, and have loved it ever since... As for the WS6 vs. Vette dilemma, the vette definately grabs more attention and is a more fun car to drive. My brother had a Trans Am and although it was a blast to drive, once I stepped foot into my vette I never looked at his car the same. Just something better about a 2 seater with more hp. If you can, I would spring for a lower mileage (less than 75k) '01 or newer, but that might be at the upper limit of your price range. But who knows, lots of people are facing financial difficulties nowadays so you might find that great score! Good luck in your search!

Btw Bill, awesome WS6 you got there!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:42 AM
1sickz51vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for sure man, owning a corvette will change your life. I'm now 23 and have had two corvettes, started at age 16!
Old 11-28-2009, 01:50 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by dobewillie
Go for it but respect these car
this

get track time in too. if you're anything like i was at 18 you're likely to drive hard from time to time. learning how to handle your car is something you should do. that and do your best to keep racing ON the track. street racing isn't dangerous most the time because of you and who you're racing. it's the family pulling out in the street or half asleep guy who moves in front of you.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Shan15
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dachevy
I guess this is a question for yourself and possibly your parents...Do you feel you are mature enough for a car with this potential power and not have the urge "as even adults " to speed on public roads? In the day lol, when I was your age I purchased a 1965 chevelle SS 327 , 4 speed , she was a beauty ...and babied it.... Surely a big step from a VW.. You also may want to check with your auto insurance and check prices, hopefully that will not be the deciding factor; but could be quite expensive based on being 18 and a male. Wish you the best ... and good luck .. Regards to high mileage on a vette, if overall it's given proper maintenance, should not be a major concern.. As you know will not be much room for your buddies to ride with you , just a draw back to a sports car...
i do believe i am mature enough to handle a car of this much power. I have been driving for 2 1/2 years (yes i know that is very little compared to most of you) but i have gotten that need for speed out of my system within the first 6-8 months of driving. Now im more relaxed and easy going when driving.

Insurance is the only thing im worried about, as you stated i am 18 and a male, AND live in Los Angeles. So that could be a big factor.

Ive never driven a ws6 or a vette so i dont know how they stack up against one another, but i would definitely take a vette over the ws6 performance wise, but for looks i believe the ws6 takes the cake...they are really rare around here and vettes are dime a dozen.

So a properly maintained vette should last a good time?
but i would assume it also matters on how the previous owner took care of it.

And i prefer not to have passengers anyways, and if i do it will only be a girl :P

CUlookin, thanks for your opinion of your car and ws6.

i will definitely be looking for something under 75k for my car.

This car will have to last me 5-6 years, or until im out of college, then i will hopefully be getting my dream car...c6 z06!

Speaking of z06's can a c5 be had for around 17k with decent mileage?
Are they more prone to problems and more expensive to maintain?

Btw Bill, love the ws6, looks beautiful!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:02 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The only word of caution is that I had my last major accident on the road when I was 18. That was so long ago that I can't remember the date. Sadly my skills didn't match my style. That was driving a 1300cc car at 40 mph. The implications of getting it wrong in a Vette are somewhat more severe.

Being practical, it's worth getting the insurance quote before you get your hopes too high. I insured my son on his Camaro when we arrived in Vegas. For the first year the premium was running at an annual rate of $10,000. Yes you read it right. An 18 year old Brit on a UK license on a Camaro. My son still drives the car but shall we say his first 2 years weren't without incident. Hopefully your premium will be a lot lower but I'd still guess $2k+ in LA

I'd hold for a few years if I were you but if you do go for it, temper speed with judgement.

Best of luck with your choice.

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-28-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:05 AM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

I'm 21 (got my '03Z at 20) and pay $106/month for full coverage $250 deductibles though nationwide since I've owned it.

You'd be surprised at insurance cost's, I had a TA before the C5 and payed more for insurance on the TA; I'm guessing the claim rates on C5's are lower than TA's as generally Vette are owner by older more responsible drivers, and TA's by younger guy's who get into some trouble, but just my guess; either way insurance on my Z06 is cheaper than the TA.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:13 AM
SearayC5
Burning Brakes

I got my 03Z when I was 18 and am 20 now. I saved for it since I was 16. I have since done a h/c swap and I can not get enough of the car. One thing I will say is the insurance is killer. I actually pay my father for the insurance, just to insure the car through his name. I paid for the whole thing and we are in a joint title. Insurance for me even though I had no accidents, was going to be 5000 dollars a year. OUCH. Just check around for options. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Shan15
Heel & Toe

damn $10,000 a year just on insurance...

i can afford up to $3000 a year for insurance, and i will be under my dads name as i am now because it is a lot cheaper, my insurance still runs me about $200 month right now but that is because im insured on like 4 different cars, which is stupid cause i only drive one. When i get the vette i will change it to only 1 car, that also should drop the price.

@Dee Gee- i know i can control myself with speed, especially on public roads. But i will drive one and if it feels like too much for me performance wise and financial wise, then i will wait a couple years.

And thank you for your opinions so far.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Shan15

i can afford up to $3000 a year for insurance, and i will be under my dads name as i am now because it is a lot cheaper, my insurance still runs me about $200 month right now but that is because im insured on like 4 different cars, which is stupid cause i only drive one. When i get the vette i will change it to only 1 car, that also should drop the price.

@Dee Gee- i know i can control myself with speed, especially on public roads. But i will drive one and if it feels like too much for me performance wise and financial wise, then i will wait a couple years.

Great attitude and I hope it works out

I flew fighters for years and something that stood me in good stead was the old addage:

There are old pilots and bold pilots
There are no old, bold pilots............

I'm so much better at recognizing when I'm being an idiot these days

Last edited by DeeGee; 11-28-2009 at 02:29 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:56 AM
C5lady
Instructor

If it's your dream and, as you said you can temper your speed, go for it. Just don't make an emotional decision when you go to buy. Research (like you seem to be doing) and drive a lot of them. Be prepared to walk away from one, even if it's fun to drive, if something doesn't seem right about the car or the deal. Another one will come along.

In addition to insurance, keep in mind maintenance cost: tires, synthetic oil (though don't have to change it as often), etc. It's different from upkeep on a VW Rabbit. Some of the costs will seem crazy expensive. Watch out for "Corvette Tax". I prepared myself for that in maintaining my Vette VS my Saturn. Make sure you can afford the whole kit and caboodle because if it drains you financially, then you won't get the full joy out of the car...and they certainly can be a source of joy. Also, be prepared - you may get the "fever" full blown. For example, bought the Vette to be my DD but can't bring myself to subject her to that. So, the Saturn is my "beater" car (safely maintained but rarely gets washed or goes in garage), the Vette gets detailed for anywhere from 3-10 hrs and gets the whole 2-car garage so she has a huge "no ding zone" around her. For some of us, it's a whole different mind set (you could call it a sickness) - as they say, it's not just a car, it's a Corvette.

If you get one, as someone suggested, get track time. Check out a performance driving course like Spring Mountain (they use Vettes). I'm trying to get there myself to hone my skills even though I've been driving for 34 yrs.

And remember, if it doesn't happen now, there's a reason and just keep the dream alive and a Vette will come into your life sometime and will be worth the wait.

Last edited by C5lady; 11-28-2009 at 04:10 AM.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 PM
ls1impulse
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shan15

You may get a better price insuring 2 cars, the vette under a pleasure driver, and pick the oldest/cheapest of the others to insure as your daily driver.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Shan15
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ls1impulse
You may get a better price insuring 2 cars, the vette under a pleasure driver, and pick the oldest/cheapest of the others to insure as your daily driver.
thats what i was thinking, but i have a feeling my insurance company will come up with a BS excuse just so i will have to be insured primarily on the vette, so they can get more money.

@c5lady- yes i know i can temper my speed. Lol and i do have a problem of impulse buying which, in this case, can be a bad thing on such a big investment. I will probably take a local enthusiast or a specialized corvette mechanic to come with me, when buying and stop me from throwing my money away.

Also another question, how much does maintenance usually cost on the vette yearly? i know tires will burn a hole in my pocket, but what about routine maintenance like oil changes and fluid changes?

Also is there any preventative maintenance that i will have to worry about, like certain defects that may need to be fixed or just something that is recommended to upgrade over stock parts, so the cars life is increased?

Track time is something i have been looking forward to in a vette
Willowsprings isnt too far from where i live so that may be an option, i dont really know any other tracks around here (besides autocross).
Old 11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
PCK1221
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Shan15-

Hey man, I'm 18 and got my 98 coupe about 6 months ago. As for insurance, you'll be very surprised how much it doesn't cost! When I first got the car, Ins. was about $2700/yr.

Was.

Due to my raging 18 year old male hormones, my buddy convinced me to do a burnout for him. well, 3 weeks and a repair shop bill of about 5 grand later, (no one was hurt) my insurance company got the last laugh. Geuss who's finished doing burnouts?
<----That guy

So, I say go for it, but respect these things! you can and will get into trouble. When these guys say take it to the track, they mean it! I've ran the 1/4 a few times, and it really does get it outta your system

Buy the car and don't look back, they're great fun to drive and look at

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?

Old 11-28-2009, 02:51 PM
waleedalot
Advanced

A corvette is a money pit... I would go for the TA.. here's an example of pricing.. New full exhaust including headers on a vette.. You're looking to spend at least $3k. A TA would run you half if not less.. A vette would also be more expensive on the insurance side..
Old 11-28-2009, 02:52 PM
SugarDemon
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C5 of Year Finalist

Good advice, RedRaider. Peers and even middle school kids taunting you (good naturedly) to do burnouts or romp on it at stoplights is a fact of life with Corvettes, not to mention ricers pulling up beside you wanting to see who can pull away the fastest.

There's a youtube video of someone doing 150 according to the gauges. Since the cluster lights are on, it appears it was taken at night. That's just stupid, no matter what stretch of road you are on. But I'm sure he thought it would make a cool Youtube.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:55 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by dachevy

If you can't handle the responsibility, financial and driving, then don't do it. Better to wait then to get killed because some idiot said, " do a burn out " or " let's race ".

Quick Reply: C5 Corvette for an 18 year old?