Sponsored by:

Need Advice -- Poor Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM
wcdaniel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice -- Poor Wheel Locks

I really did it to myself this time. When I bought the '03 QuickSilver 50th back in September, I was excited and ordered a cheap set of Wheel Locks via the Internet.

They went on just fine.

But now that I need to get the back pair off, it voices the same complaint that my wife usually has:
The 'male' piece is too small and does not make good contact with the 'female' portio of the wheel lock.

So I cannot get them off.

What are my choices from here ??
1. Obviously, don't buy cheap wheel locks.
2. Accept that I cannot make my wife happy. :o
3. Can I just ask my wheel/tire folks to cut-off the poor wheel locks ??

I appreciate anyone's insight and advice.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM
garage-ghost
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Big pair of ViceGrips.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

Gorilla Wheel Locks.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:11 PM
flynbyu2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Les Schwab can remove most wheel locks.

I had it done on my son's 4Runner last month. It runs about $60. I bought new Gorilla Locks and had them installed at the same time.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:21 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Some use an over sized hex socket which is hammered on over the lug nut/wheel lock. SEAR'S sells a set of sockets which bite into the lug nut/wheel lock and work on the same principle.

DISCOUNT TIRE would probably remove them for you for little if anything if you buy a set of chrome or black GORILLA lug nuts/locks from them. They're regular stock items. They're sold in sets of four or twenty with a socket type key which doesn't deform with repeated use like McGARD type locks do.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:22 PM
Indy
Melting Slicks

Are you sure the key wont go on? I had wheel locks once that were a pain to get the key onto. With a lot of wiggling, it eventually worked.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:26 PM
az57chevy
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sears and others sells fastener removal sockets. They have sharp flutes on the interior of the socket that will bite and dig into the stubborn lock. Most tire shops have similar tools. Or if you have a socket that you don't really like you can tap one on that is just slightly too tight/snug and it will usually come off - but the socket might be dinged up.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I opt for option

2. Accept that I cannot make my wife happy.

I sledged hammered the F-out of my hand trying to get a 21mm socket over them, and I failed miserably. Anyhoops, I had my local tire/exhaust place take the locks off my rustang about 10 days ago, and since I'm a re-ocurring customer and talk to the owner they didn't even charged me to have them taken off; I just paid for the mount/remount and balancing of tires. IMHO, I don't really like lock-nuts, so I had them put regular lug nuts on the car. If somebody wants the wheels, they will steal them.

Last edited by damilleniumboy; 01-01-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:52 PM
wcdaniel
Pro

Originally Posted by Indy
Are you sure the key wont go on? I had wheel locks once that were a pain to get the key onto. With a lot of wiggling, it eventually worked.
Yep, I tried it and the male end would not bite on its nor get anywhere near biting with some angled help.

Very frustrating.

I had driven 35 miles to save $40 on a set of tires for the back and now I have to deal with this. Will probably have to drive back there come Saturday morning.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:03 PM
wcdaniel
Pro

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
I opt for option

2. Accept that I cannot make my wife happy.

I sledged hammered the F-out of my hand trying to get a 21mm socket over them, and I failed miserably. Anyhoops, I had my local tire/exhaust place take the locks off my rustang about 10 days ago, and since I'm a re-ocurring customer and talk to the owner they didn't even charged me to have them taken off; I just paid for the mount/remount and balancing of tires. IMHO, I don't really like lock-nuts, so I had them put regular lug nuts on the car. If somebody wants the wheels, they will steal them.
Interesting. I thought I was the only one that pulls that stuff. I made a full-on hammer of my hand one day. Actually I broke the palate of the hand between the index finger and thumb on my left hand. At least I got one good working hand.

Also, I knew I was in trouble when the Doctor started laughing at the story I told him about how it happened. :o:o
Old 01-01-2010, 02:42 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by wcdaniel
What are my choices from here ??
1. Obviously, don't buy cheap wheel locks.
2. Accept that I cannot make my wife happy. :o
3. Can I just ask my wheel/tire folks to cut-off the poor wheel locks ??
4. Post pictures of said wife.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by az57chevy
Sears and others sells fastener removal sockets. They have sharp flutes on the interior of the socket that will bite and dig into the stubborn lock. Most tire shops have similar tools. Or if you have a socket that you don't really like you can tap one on that is just slightly too tight/snug and it will usually come off - but the socket might be dinged up.
Harbor Freight sells a set of two sockets for removing wheel lug nuts. They are around $10 if I remember correctly. Your probably never going to use them again, so you probably don't need the Craftsman set. As mentioned above, any good tire shop should have the tools to get them off.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:12 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

My C5 had wheel locks and no key when I bought it. Tapped an undersized socket on the wheel locks, and they spun right off.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:25 PM
westez
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Women don't like it when the male piece is too small............
Old 01-01-2010, 07:27 PM
ROJ#79
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by garage-ghost
Big pair of ViceGrips.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wcdaniel
Interesting. I thought I was the only one that pulls that stuff. I made a full-on hammer of my hand one day. Actually I broke the palate of the hand between the index finger and thumb on my left hand. At least I got one good working hand.

Also, I knew I was in trouble when the Doctor started laughing at the story I told him about how it happened. :o:o
Yup, I couldn't grip anything with my tumb either for a couple of days. Eveyone at worked laughed when I told them the story too. I think what helped me a bit is that I used to teach Karate, so my nuckles are kind of harder? Buy boy I felt like I was going to faint. I still have a small bruise on the side of my nuckle from ten days ago when I hammered it.

Originally Posted by Greg_E
Harbor Freight sells a set of two sockets for removing wheel lug nuts. They are around $10 if I remember correctly. Your probably never going to use them again, so you probably don't need the Craftsman set. As mentioned above, any good tire shop should have the tools to get them off.
Yup, it's like when you buy a bolt extractor. It never gets used again. Also, I think you can go to a tire changing place and have a new key ordered for <10 bucks. I know they do it in another tire shop here in town, so you might want to check in to that.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice -- Poor Wheel Locks

Quick Reply: Need Advice -- Poor Wheel Locks