Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Cut Out Installation in Middle Tennessee?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Default Exhaust Cut Out Installation in Middle Tennessee?

Iam really highly considering getting some DMH cutouts next week and want to know who you guys would trust to weld on the cutouts to the car. I plan on doing the rest of the installation myself. Also what is a reasonable price for the welding? Would you go to like a Midas or Meineki place? or is there someone handy on here with a welder and knows how to do this who might be local to me?

Thanks
Jeff
Old 01-19-2010, 04:26 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

hmmm nobody in around middle Tennessee has put these on? hmm I might be the first lol?

Come on somebody must have done this and if so where did you go to get the welding done? Install pics would be great too.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Take a three-hour drive and have Extreme Automotive do in in Memphis. If you need their addy or phone just drop me a line.

They did an unreal job on mine.....I am hard to please.....they did GREAT
Old 01-19-2010, 04:33 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
Take a three-hour drive and have Extreme Automotive do in in Memphis. If you need their addy or phone just drop me a line.

They did an unreal job on mine.....I am hard to please.....they did GREAT
Did they just do the welding or the whole job? What did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

I bought the cutouts directly from DMH (Dave) and had Extreme put them on. They did the welding (looks like they stacked dimes) and the wiring. They were great about asking me EXACTLY where I wanted the switch and even which way I wanted it wired....up for close or down for closed. About $320 and 6 hours out the door for installation.

I highly recommend them.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:14 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought the cutouts directly from DMH (Dave) and had Extreme put them on. They did the welding (looks like they stacked dimes) and the wiring. They were great about asking me EXACTLY where I wanted the switch and even which way I wanted it wired....up for close or down for closed. About $320 and 6 hours out the door for installation.

I highly recommend them.
wow that is really awesome and I only wish i had that kinda extra money to go to them. Unfortunately Iam just barely gonna have enough for the cutouts lol. hmmmm what to do...I mean I can wire it up myself just can't do the cutting and the welding...That and yeh 3 hrs to Memphis is quite a haul. Thanks thought I still will keep them in mind!

hmm anybody closer that can do welding?
Old 01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

You know you might just wait on the whole thing then. There is a lot to this, the holes must be the right size and correct orientation for each side. Then you weld the bracket on, and done well enough as to not be a problem later, and then install the units on the brackets. The wiring can be done by just about anyone, just a matter of running it up into the cabin and finding a circuit that will support whatever the amp draw is on the two units. Most of us have had our console out so many times that we can do it in our sleep.

I would suggest waiting until you can afford to do this RIGHT. I know you don't want to have to do it again......amybe even replace part of your exhaust system.

JMHO
Old 01-19-2010, 05:32 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

You know you might just wait on the whole thing then. There is a lot to this, the holes must be the right size and correct orientation for each side. Then you weld the bracket on, and done well enough as to not be a problem later, and then install the units on the brackets. The wiring can be done by just about anyone, just a matter of running it up into the cabin and finding a circuit that will support whatever the amp draw is on the two units. Most of us have had our console out so many times that we can do it in our sleep.

I would suggest waiting until you can afford to do this RIGHT. I know you don't want to have to do it again......amybe even replace part of your exhaust system.

JMHO
Oh I know man...believe me, I want to do it right just think that $320 for install I can do a little better then that considering Iam going to be doing all the hookups and wiring myself. I just need the holes cut, alignment done and the welding. I have seen the pictures off of Maryland Speed shop and it doesn't really look that difficult at all. Definitely not like building an engine. I did the header install and full exhaust install myself so Iam comfortable with the wiring of the things no problem. Just not a welder lol. Again thanks for the information. Maybe I can make a deal with them or find a competent welder a little closer to me.

Oh yeh How do you like em? Do you or have you had an problems with yours? How long have you had them?

My main intention is to gain attention especially at car shows! I get so tired of going and having all these old hot rods being next to me fire their cars up and I sound so wimpy next to them! lol
Old 01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is an idea that is a compromise!! Do the switch work and run the wiring,,,THEN maybe take it to them to have the cutouts mounted/installed. Might be able to shave off some time and cost!!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:25 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by itzza427
Here is an idea that is a compromise!! Do the switch work and run the wiring,,,THEN maybe take it to them to have the cutouts mounted/installed. Might be able to shave off some time and cost!!
Yep very true on that! I talked to our local exhaust shop here in town and it has very good ratings online. The guy seems to understand exactly what I want. The shop is called "Rays Custom Exhaust" and like I said, excellent reviews. I talked to Gary who would be doing the work and he ballparked me a quote of $80-$100 for the welding. I was thinking of just having that done then quickly throw on the cutouts un-wired of course just to block the sound till I get back home (which is only like 5 miles away) and then do the wiring. But yeh I guess your right could be done either way.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Another point,,probably no big deal driving home with open cutouts!! I ran around for a couple of weeks with full straight pipes.Did a couple of weeks in a row at the strip. Took the mufflers off and made a couple of turn downs to keep the exhaust from blowing in the the rear fenders!! It wasn't ALL THAT noticeable ,,unless you were giving it a lot of throttle,,THEN it did howl!! Now this WAS with stock manifolds and cats. Driving a few miles home,,with sensible driving probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow!!Have fun!!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:31 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by itzza427
Another point,,probably no big deal driving home with open cutouts!! I ran around for a couple of weeks with full straight pipes.Did a couple of weeks in a row at the strip. Took the mufflers off and made a couple of turn downs to keep the exhaust from blowing in the the rear fenders!! It wasn't ALL THAT noticeable ,,unless you were giving it a lot of throttle,,THEN it did howl!! Now this WAS with stock manifolds and cats. Driving a few miles home,,with sensible driving probably wouldn't raise an eyebrow!!Have fun!!
well I dunno...I definitely don't want to raise any eyebrows while just trying to get home lol. I have headers on the car plus high flow cats so it's a crapshoot on what the sound will be like even with low throttle (in limp mode I call it) lol.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Maverickpo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine installed a year ago here in Murfreesboro.Did a great job.I wired it myself .The Muffler shop on Broad St is the one next to the Bowling Alley.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Maverickpo
Instructor

Oh,,,you can hear what they sound like on my car if you like:
99 Vert with headers,hi-flo cats,x pipe & corsa tigershark. Just let me know.My cell phone is 931-580-1869.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:59 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maverickpo
Oh,,,you can hear what they sound like on my car if you like:
99 Vert with headers,hi-flo cats,x pipe & corsa tigershark. Just let me know.My cell phone is 931-580-1869.
wow were are really close...I got the corsa tigershark exhaust too. Do you hit any of the carshows Maverick? I'll be out an about all year at a lot of them! Oh what was the name of the muffler show you used?

Jeff
Old 01-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Maverickpo
Instructor

Jeff:
Its the muffler shop just north of the Bowling Alley [name skips me].Same side as the Bowling alley.Outside fools ya = inside & outside racks but they really are craftsman.I paid $40.00 & they installed right on the car with me there & did it without removing any of the pipes.The owner is a Stones River HotRod member that does alot for them.I occasionally hit the Friday nite cruise-in at the Avenue.My son has a 02 vette & my daughter has a 77.We normally park together.What color is your vette?
Old 01-20-2010, 05:02 PM
HP_Addict
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any muffler shop should be able to do this for you. But if you want a performance shop check out DBR in Spring Hill. They specialize in performance mods and do great work.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:26 PM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Maverickpo
Jeff:
Its the muffler shop just north of the Bowling Alley [name skips me].Same side as the Bowling alley.Outside fools ya = inside & outside racks but they really are craftsman.I paid $40.00 & they installed right on the car with me there & did it without removing any of the pipes.The owner is a Stones River HotRod member that does alot for them.I occasionally hit the Friday nite cruise-in at the Avenue.My son has a 02 vette & my daughter has a 77.We normally park together.What color is your vette?
Hmmm thats cool. I parked with the other vettes in the back row on friday nights. Mine was the electron blue one with the C5 Jake Airbrushed under the hood. My pics are in the corvetteforum garage in my profile. I look forward to bumping into you on a friday night and thanks for the information I'll have to look they up!

Jeff
Old 01-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Maverickpo
Instructor

If by chance you see an 02 Electron Blue with the wide body kit,,white stripes..thats my sons car in Murfreesboro.Mine is torch red =PRVTJET on plates.

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust Cut Out Installation in Middle Tennessee?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Cut Out Installation in Middle Tennessee?