Sponsored by:

[Z06] Switching Passenger and Driver Seat To Keep Seats Fresh

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
superboop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching Passenger and Driver Seat To Keep Seats Fresh

Anyone ever tried switching the pass seat with the driver and vice versa? I have an 01 Z with only 41k miles in which I'd like to keep the driver seat from getting broken down where you "plop" down. Is there anyway to just switch them easily or do you have to take the foams off and covers? Also one is power the other is manual standard in 01'
Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Never tried it, but the immediate problem I see is that your seat switches and levers would end up against the tunnel down the center of the interior, making them near impossible to reach. Other than that, I don't know if they are otherwise interchangeable.

What's more common is to replace the seat foams. They aren't too expensive at all when compared to new seats, and they will make a worn seat feel like new again. If you're going to do that... consider buying some new, quality seat skins too! Might get a good deal that way from a vendor.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:05 PM
superboop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I understand the problem with the seat switches, thats why I was wondering if you could simply switch the seat foams with the covers still attached. So basically can you take the seat cover and foam as one unit and put on it on the passenger side and then bring the passenger side foam and cover over to the driver side? Or are the foams unique between driver and passenger side. If you were able to do this then the bolster that gets worn would be next to the tunnel were it doesn't get noticed or abused anymore.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

new seat foam is cheap... its a bit time consuming to do the seat bottoms... the tops I think can be interchanged easily.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:31 PM
boss302
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The seat swap is a fairly straight forward, but not a "10 minute" job. I did it with my /98 about 5 years ago and it worked out very well. I posted a detailed description of the process but it seems to have gotten lost. The seat backs are directly interchangeable, although if the passengers' is manual, that may not be the case unless it has the same pneumatic system. On mine there is a fabric on the side of the seat back that is now on the wrong side but not a huge deal. The seat is a little more complicated as I recall (fading memory), because you have to remove the seat cushion cover and cut out some foam to make a recess for the control panel and then fill in some foam in the now vacant recess on the other side of the seat. Same thing with the seat back control lever and you have to make a hole through the leather cover for the control lever as well. While you are at it, be sure to place some heavy material like burlap, nylon fabric or thin carpet between the wires supporting the underside of the foam and the foam itself. With time these wires will cut right through the foam. Have fun!

Get notified of new replies

To Switching Passenger and Driver Seat To Keep Seats Fresh

Quick Reply: [Z06] Switching Passenger and Driver Seat To Keep Seats Fresh