Sponsored by:

Help, too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Help, too good to be true?

Hey all... Just went and looked at a Z06 today and I want to get some opinions... I think I want to pass on it, but I could just be paranoid.

It's a 2003 MY Z06. It has just over 27K miles. Guy wants $21,500 for it.

OK, the background. The guy lives at a marina. I wasn't sure if he kept the car there or not, but when I called him to see the car he said he'd "drive it home". So I figured, perhaps it's not kept where he lives.

When I got there I first checked to see if I could find any rust on the car's frame or anything underneath. I didn't see any rust. I asked him where he stored it and he said he "keeps it at his shop." That was kind of a red flag for me.

Anyway, I got in the car and looked to see what kind of codes it would have. There were 8 codes from LDCM and 4 for the RDCM. I know that thoes are the door control modules and that sounds kind of weird to me. The guy asked what I was doing and I let him know I was checking to see what codes it'd thrown in the past. All the codes were marked with an 'H' so I know they're history.

I asked him if he had any traction control messages or active handling or anything of that sort and he told me that he just has the TCS module replaced because "the squiggly line light was on". Yet another red flag for me. You don't own a shop and not know what the traction control light is.

I cleared all the codes and took the car for a spin to see if any codes would come up. None came up. The car ran nice and shifted great. In fact, it really seemed like the car ran perfectly. It did sound different from mine... Maybe a little louder. But I looked and there's bone stock exhaust. The guy says the car was just smogged and passed without a problem.

Finally the last red flag; he told me that he'd purchased the car from an auction. He said he had a carfax report for it but he didn't bring it from his house (so not sure why he told me that) but I asked him what kind of shop he owned. He replied "a body shop." He also stated he's had the car for 10 months.

So, something really doesn't add up here to me. He's a body shop owner that bought a car from an auction. He loves the car and has had it 10 months, but now wants to sell it. He doesn't know anything about these cars at all supposedly... That sounds odd.

I don't know... I just don't feel right and I'm pretty sure I'm going to pass on it. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I guess at that price you'd have some $$ flex if you had problems.

If the codes are clear a reasonable test drive should throw up any issues

May be worth a punt in my book.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Hammer99
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO I have learned to listen to my gut. Each and every time I go against a gut feeling, I regret it. I say PASS. Lots out there to choose from.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I guess not all body shop owners are good mechanics and perhaps the guy just doesn't like the car after he bought it - but if your gut feeling is throwing up warning flags, it might be best to listen to them. That's a good price for the car, but there are a lot of C5s for sale out there that may not make you so hesitant to make the purchase.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM
kennya35
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have never priced z06's, so I dont know how good the price is. My gut would tell me that if it didnt throw any codes on a good test drive, I might try to get him down to $20k at least and have a fun drive home. Most would have passed on the one I bought, but with nothing mechanically wrong with it, I took the chance and have been happy ever since!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:44 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

He's a "body shop" owner, not a mechanic or "mechanic shop" owner. If you're that worried about it run a carfax on the car. Better yet, he told you he had one already.

If it bothers you that much.... walk away from it. Simple as that ! geez......
Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Hammer99
IMO I have learned to listen to my gut. Each and every time I go against a gut feeling, I regret it. I say PASS. Lots out there to choose from.
Great advice.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammer99
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
I guess not all body shop owners are good mechanics and perhaps the guy just doesn't like the car after he bought it - but if your gut feeling is throwing up warning flags, it might be best to listen to them. That's a good price for the car, but there are a lot of C5s for sale out there that may not make you so hesitant to make the purchase.
I'd have to add that A LOT of body shop guys don't have a clue about the mechanicals. Simply ask him if the car was damaged and ask what repairs were necessary. You'll pick up on whether hes telling you the truth.

Its funny, but if he adverised it at $25K, some of that suspicion might not even be there! Its human nature, I guess.

Like the others have said, trust your gut. You're either picking up the bad vibe from the seller or the car, or both. Find another. MY was popular (my 2nd choice), there should be another close to you.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

If you have a bad feeling about it just pass. The world is full of C5's for sale.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:37 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Devils advocate here,,,IMO it would depend on how much of a DIY guy you are too. I'd get it on a lift,,and do a real good under car inspection and give it a good overall going over to look for signs of repairs. Me,,I'm a bit of a gambler,,but have resources to check them out and go in fairly aware of what I'm getting into. I must admit there have been a couple of times i did get caught though!! Depending on your resources for getting it checked out,,and your own abilities,,follow your own instincts!! That IS a tempting potential deal though!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 09:57 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a Carfax report on it. I'm betting it doesn't come back perfect.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:01 AM
BCH & VET
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

perhaps he's selling it because he needs the $$$ - in this economy, wouldn't be the 1st
also agree w/body shop guys not necessarily mechanics.
at that price, give it another look (and carfax), get a truthful reason why he's selling, and if your gut is feeling better, make a offer...
Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Just because the CarFax was clean, it doesn mean that the car did not have problems..( reported problems ) He may have bought a wreck from an action, and got it cheap... real cheap.. and put some money in it to sell it... Keeping it at the shop is a normal thing. He either bought it to have fun when nopt working, or he bought it to just make a profit.. we are just coming out of the winter. The codes are clear, everything works... and the price is good. I always say I can not afford to buy anything too cheap... but with that sometimes your turn your back on a real bargan. I think you a a bit paranoid, your red flags do not throw a flag for me, but I am not buying the car.... The car had low mileage, and leaving it at ther shop only helps to keep the mileage low...My gut feeling is he bought a body damages wreck.. used his shop and skilles to make it perfect again. If you wanted to feel comforable... ask to see the sales receipt of the price he paid at the auction. If it was a weck, you could get some idea of the damage... or you could ask him if he bought a wreck from an auction and fixed it up.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Bowtie_Brigade
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
He's a "body shop" owner, not a mechanic or "mechanic shop" owner. If you're that worried about it run a carfax on the car. Better yet, he told you he had one already.

If it bothers you that much.... walk away from it. Simple as that ! geez......
One better - if you're serious, pay the money to run a CarFax and Autochek report. I've found one will show something that the other one didn't on several occasions
Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 PM
Jump1979man
Instructor

sounds like he bought a wreck and fixed it since he is a body shop owner.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you don't feel right about it, walk.
Old 04-07-2010, 02:14 PM
madchevy559
Instructor

Did you run a carfax or an AutoCheck? Ask him, what auction did he purchase it from.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, too good to be true?

Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jump1979man
sounds like he bought a wreck and fixed it since he is a body shop owner.
that's exactaly what I think. not saying you shouldn't buy it but there are a lot of vette's for sale. get a smoking price on this one or walk away!! just remember if he fixed the vehicle, there may be no report to carfax (ie unit was wrecked, sold at auction and fixed without any insurance company getting in volved). could even have been a repo.
good luck with your choice
Old 04-07-2010, 03:00 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
i would pass also
Old 04-07-2010, 03:36 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm a bit of a gambler myself and that's a great price for that low mileage car. Does CA have salvage titles? If so check the title. It would be unusual for a car to be totaled and auctioned without any report that would show up on Carfax or the other reports.

Ask the guy the questions. Has the car been repainted? Did you do any body work? Any mechanical issues other than the TCS? Take the car somewhere you can get it on a lift and get a good look underneath. If there's been serious frame damage you should be able to see it.

If the car drives OK and doesn't throw codes I think you've found a good deal.

Quick Reply: Help, too good to be true?