Sponsored by:

steering wheel puller????

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default steering wheel puller????

I am looking for info on what type of steering wheel puller is used to pull the steering wheel off.pics would be appreciated. i dont think the standard puller works since it is threaded. any help would be great.

Thanx
Rick
Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 AM
NVTHIS
Le Mans Master

Location: Piedmont, SC Currently Own: 99 Nassau blue FRC. Previously Owned: 84,95,98 Indy Pace,01 Z06
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Gitusum
I am looking for info on what type of steering wheel puller is used to pull the steering wheel off.pics would be appreciated. i dont think the standard puller works since it is threaded. any help would be great.

Thanx
Rick
You need to find one that has J-hooks. I used three different ones including a snap-on. Let it sit overnight with pressure and still couldn't get the wheel off. Finally I ended up taking the steering column out with the wheel and used a air hammer,lol. Hopefully yours will not be that tight.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NVTHIS
You need to find one that has J-hooks. I used three different ones including a snap-on. Let it sit overnight with pressure and still couldn't get the wheel off. Finally I ended up taking the steering column out with the wheel and used a air hammer,lol. Hopefully yours will not be that tight.

so basically i am better off taking it to the stealership?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:18 AM
HowlinC5
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are usually 2 threaded holes in the wheel for using the standard steering wheel puller. I'd be scared of the hook kind breaking the steering wheel.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by HowlinC5
There are usually 2 threaded holes in the wheel for using the standard steering wheel puller. I'd be scared of the hook kind breaking the steering wheel.
there are no threaded holes in my wheel
Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Here's what kind of puller and legs are called for in the instructions I have for steering wheel removal:

A Steering Wheel Puller (Kent-Moore tool # J1859-A, or KD Tools tool # 2291)

A set of Steering Wheel Puller Legs (Kent-Moore tool # J42120, or KD Tools # 3510)

These legs are the J-hook legs and have no threads. As well, the wheel has no threads either. As for a puller, I borrowed a standard puller from a mechanic at work and my J-hook legs worked fine with it.

I found the proper legs locally at NAPA. They had the KD Tools set, #3510.

I wouldn't worry about the legs breaking the steering wheel... If anything, its the legs that will break. Some people have had to use a 2nd pair of legs due to them breaking. Some wheels come off much easier than others... Mine came off pretty easy and I didn't have to let it sit overnight. I just set up the puller, applied a fair amount of force... yanked on the wheel a bit... applied a little more... tapped on it a little with a hammer and then slowly the wheel began to pull off.

The best tip I can give you is, be ABSOLUTELY sure your J-hooks are seated perfectly. If only a portion of the J is engaged in the notch on the steering wheel, it is more likely to snap. (Picture hanging from the edge of a skycraper while using only two fingers on each hand instead of all four). Don't apply too much force too fast; but if you're careful the legs should take quite a bit of force before they break.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:11 PM
beaners
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaskanpilot
Here's what kind of puller and legs are called for in the instructions I have for steering wheel removal:

A Steering Wheel Puller (Kent-Moore tool # J1859-A, or KD Tools tool # 2291)

A set of Steering Wheel Puller Legs (Kent-Moore tool # J42120, or KD Tools # 3510)

These legs are the J-hook legs and have no threads. As well, the wheel has no threads either. As for a puller, I borrowed a standard puller from a mechanic at work and my J-hook legs worked fine with it.

I found the proper legs locally at NAPA. They had the KD Tools set, #3510.

I wouldn't worry about the legs breaking the steering wheel... If anything, its the legs that will break. Some people have had to use a 2nd pair of legs due to them breaking. Some wheels come off much easier than others... Mine came off pretty easy and I didn't have to let it sit overnight. I just set up the puller, applied a fair amount of force... yanked on the wheel a bit... applied a little more... tapped on it a little with a hammer and then slowly the wheel began to pull off.

The best tip I can give you is, be ABSOLUTELY sure your J-hooks are seated perfectly. If only a portion of the J is engaged in the notch on the steering wheel, it is more likely to snap. (Picture hanging from the edge of a skycraper while using only two fingers on each hand instead of all four). Don't apply too much force too fast; but if you're careful the legs should take quite a bit of force before they break.

If it is that tight. Don't be afraid to smack it with a hammer and it should pop....
Old 05-20-2010, 12:17 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

If you do it let me know how it goes...might be attempting it myself in the near future. Did you find some info on how to safely disconnect the airbag?
Old 05-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by rpm462
If you do it let me know how it goes...might be attempting it myself in the near future. Did you find some info on how to safely disconnect the airbag?
I have a pdf file that goes over this (it's instructions for removing the steering wheel). I can send it to you if you PM me an email address!
Old 05-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

I have a pdf file that goes over this (it's instructions for removing the steering wheel). I can send it to you if you PM me an email address!

rikk_t@hotmail.com
Old 05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gitusum
you has mail!
Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM
TOOGECKO
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done five SW swaps now and if you get the proper tool (Kent Moore) and understand the directions, it is pretty straightforward. This is one of these "do it by the book" procedures due to the risk of deploying the airbag. It is not bad as long as you are certain that you disable and then properly enable the SRS system before and after...
Old 05-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Greg34
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the instructions please
G-
Old 05-20-2010, 02:28 PM
rpm462
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

PM sent...thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To steering wheel puller????

Quick Reply: steering wheel puller????