Sponsored by:

No supercharger for me!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM
gleds
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
FWIW I only tossed out 500hp as a comparison number. I know driveability comes into play with a stock LS1 that has been pushed to 500hp without a blower.

But as for this thread, I wouldn't build my car based on what the competition is. I don't plan to have it as a competition car, just something I can be happy with. So personally I would rather have a GM 427 with headers, cam etc etc as opposed to a blown 346. Although there are obvious reasons to have a blower. For pure enjoyment of the car for street and everything else I would use it for, I would prefer all motor. Build an upgraded tranny and diff and call it a day. However if I were looking for something that I would take to Texas Mile, I would slap a blower on that and then work from there.

-Alex
N2O seems to be best at the mile. As for blower versus H/C/I..... I am pretty stock except for an A&A and put down 494/468. I dont plan on going to the track and I dont think many blower guys build their cars for the track which is possibly why they were loosing to the all engine cars. Add the right suspension, trans, and tires to a 500rwhp n/a vette and it would take a 800rwhp vette set up for fun on the street all day long.....
Old 06-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Mister Peebody
Drifting

Location: Ok! So you don't believe in conspiracies, but will you acknowledge the possibility of there being coordinated activities in secret places? Texas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
Okay superchargers look damn good, sound great and give you a lot of HP but, those nice pieces of bling cost some serious bucks!!!
and almost all the CHARGED cars at the track where getting beat up on in the 1/4 mile, you hear them coming but you see them losing...

the cam and head cars whooped A$$ all day and the fastest cars at the track were C5Z's with auto trans,that seems like the way to go for me.....(JMO)

what do you guys think?
As others have noted, but has been overlooked - your reasoning for going heads/cam vs FI seems to be price. You won't reliably outrun a FI car by spending an equal sum of money on a NA engine. So with money being your deciding factor, FI would be the correct choice of the two.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:53 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

franktank i respect your opinion, but i also have one of my own.

you keep on saying apples to apples, when the bottom line is HP is HP
no matter how you get it (NA, FI, JET, rocket) you get the point, whether it is 500 NA or 500 FI it is still 500 HP those are all the apples you need!!!

a green apple (NA) or a red apple (FI) still a apple.....

and yes the only real proof is at the track, when i started this thread i did not intend to **** any of you off....JUST STATING THE FACTS OF THE DAY, last Sunday at the track, and that was......

WHY ARE ALL THESE GUYS SPENDING ALL THIS CASH ON SUPERCHARGERS AND STILL GETTING SPANKED BY HEAD AND CAM CARS?

okay i understand that all SUPERCHARGED cars are not slow, but on that day at the track i was at, over half of those guys where having problems......for what ever reason that may have been, I really think most of it was driver error.

so if any of you got your boxers in a bunch.....take a couple of deep breaths and CHILL.....

side note - im going to the track tonight, in my slow (NA) stock motor bolt on vette.....just trying to crack the high 12's any tips?
First off, no boxers are in a bunch here I've got way bigger things to worry about in life then some thread on this forum I've been around here long enough to know, most people here are way to sensitive.

Second, in your first post, you are stating that heads/cam cars were spanking SC cars, so some of us asked, show us an example, we want to know more details, to which you had/have none, just your general statement. Thats why I said it was a blanket statement, back it up with some specfic proof.

From your post you are saying heads/cam cars are faster, and why waste money on a supercharger, hence the title of your thread "no supercharger for me"
I brought up apples to apples to present a logical arguement... HP is HP your right... in my experience, if you have a 346CI FI motor vs a heads/cam 346 CI NA motor, 9 out of 10 times the FI motor will make more power and be more streetable, that is just the reality..heck there is a whole FI section on this forum for gods sake

If you don't compare similar size motors, one with FI and one NA...then to say a heads/cam car is faster or making more power than a SC car makes no sense and has no logic.

We are not trying to pick on you here or pick apart your thread, but you post here on a public forum and make a general statement like you did, be ready for people to call you out on it. ..no one is pissed, we just don't agree.

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-09-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 10:57 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Mister Peebody
As others have noted, but has been overlooked - your reasoning for going heads/cam vs FI seems to be price. You won't reliably outrun a FI car by spending an equal sum of money on a NA engine. So with money being your deciding factor, FI would be the correct choice of the two.
Exactly why i'm going FI next week instead of the H/C swap i was planning. More total HP for the $$ plus that big fat power curve
Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ArcticWhite
high HP cars are a lot harder to launch and maintain traction, a lot of the time making them slower than lower HP, NA cars that can get a better launch and better traction
I think a lot of people overlook this fact. Everyone assumes that GM gave the C5 ~345 HP because that's all they could get out of it (legally/smog/etc).

Maybe it was because as you add more power you don't actually get any faster at the track. Look at how many suspension/weight mods they did to the C5Z just to make it 385 (and later 405) HP.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jedblanks
I think a lot of people overlook this fact. Everyone assumes that GM gave the C5 ~345 HP because that's all they could get out of it (legally/smog/etc).

Maybe it was because as you add more power you don't actually get any faster at the track. Look at how many suspension/weight mods they did to the C5Z just to make it 385 (and later 405) HP.
The first LS1s used a base model cam and head design that was gradually improved on through the generation until 2002 when the LS6 got the 405 Hp stamp. The camp specs for the early LS1s were quite mild because they were designed to be similar to other cam designs used in other vehicles.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,011 Posts

So much BS here on both sides of the discussion.

Bottom line is properly set up and driven cars with the same HP will run pretty close to the same times regardless of how the power is being created.

The issue at hand is defining HP. The biggest mistake being everyone quotes PEAK HP when fact is HIGHEST AVERAGE HP across the run is what wins races.

Last edited by Vega$Vette; 06-10-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

yeah i didnt think anyone would get there boxers in a bunch about it

sure ya didn't.

the N/A C5Z with the auto ran a 9.7 in the final....i cant remember the MPH

Thats haulin azz for sure. At that point setup played a big factor. Car was converted to auto and the mods didn't stop there. My point is same HP cars don't net same results due to difference in setup, not just motor but suspension, tires, trans, stall ect. not to mention driver. A well sorted out car with equel power will win comparing to an all around car, not sayin this is the case just sayin it could have been.

dont get me wrong guys, i am not saying that i would never want a supercharger, it's just not near the top of my mod list!

i just dont see the need for one if you are not racing.
Actually if your not looking to race can't really see the need for a H/C car either. I don't race but I want more so go figure, to each there own.

Darion

Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette

Bottom line is properly set up and driven cars with the same HP will run pretty close to the same times regardless of how the power is being created.

The issue at hand is defining HP. The biggest mistake being everyone quotes PEAK HP when fact is HIGHEST AVERAGE HP across the run is what wins races.
Good point, and let's not forget about Torque as well. It use to always bug me when people/vendors would post up in the Tech section, or here for that matter about I picked up 80RWHP, cam only...or with said cam from said vendor I dyno'd at 420RWHP...but then you look at the graph and the power does not kick in until 4800RPM That's great for the track, but sucks for the street.

That is one valuable lesson I learned when I got my cam. I was lucky enough that the tuner/shop I chose pointed that out for me...so I did not fall into that trap of running a monster cam that does not kick in until way high in the RPM band and is a dog down low.

Quote-209time
"yeah i didnt think anyone would get there boxers in a bunch about it

sure ya didn't.

the N/A C5Z with the auto ran a 9.7 in the final....i cant remember the MPH

Thats haulin azz for sure. At that point setup played a big factor. Car was converted to auto and the mods didn't stop there. My point is same HP cars don't net same results due to difference in setup, not just motor but suspension, tires, trans, stall ect. not to mention driver. A well sorted out car with equel power will win comparing to an all around car, not sayin this is the case just sayin it could have been.

dont get me wrong guys, i am not saying that i would never want a supercharger, it's just not near the top of my mod list!

i just dont see the need for one if you are not racing"

End Quote

________________________________________ ________________________________________ _
Now that I can agree with, same HP cars will not always produce the same results at the track. That was not the original post you started out with .

Actually most people buy Superchargers because they want the power, but want to be able to drive on the street , and have stock street manners vs.. big power with a NA set-up , you are going to compromise some street manners, I dont care how good the tune is.

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-10-2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Originally Posted by FrankTank

Actually most people buy Superchargers because they want the power, but want to be able to drive on the street , and have stock street manners vs.. big power with a NA set-up , you are going to compromise some street manners, I dont care how good the tune is.
This is why I will get a SC in the future. I will 1/4 mile it a few times but I will not be setup to make a max pass. I will run my current suspension, street tires (PS2's) and MN6 trans. I'll get killed by some N/A, SC and nitros cars but I'll be there for me and to have a good time with my car.

As I said to each there own,

Darion

Old 06-10-2010, 11:41 AM
209TIME!!!
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

and learning @ the same time!
Old 06-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Darion
Safety Car

I hear ya!
Old 06-10-2010, 12:41 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

which is why NA wins. the area under the curve cant be beat. And no, I dont want to see anyones dyno chart...I see those all day long and they continue to be unimpressive at the track. Buddy of mine has a TT z06 that makes 530 on the same dyno I made 465 on. He gets .10 faster times than me. Same track, same day, same race, same clutch, almost same gearing, similar tires and 60's. Granted his trap is higher, but for ET, the FI fails..
Old 06-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Darion
Safety Car

Your C5 1/4 Mile Quick List from the Perf. Results section

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/perf...uick-list.html

Just throwing this up. Thanks to Capthuff for keeping this going, was last updated 5-21-2010.

Darion

Old 06-10-2010, 04:07 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Darion
Your C5 1/4 Mile Quick List from the Perf. Results section

Just throwing this up. Thanks to Capthuff for keeping this going, was last updated 5-21-2010.

Darion

Thanks for posting, that pretty miuch settles it. And no, I am not saying either that every single SC car is gonna be faster than any NA car, but these results speak for themselves. And, there is no one that is better overall. To each his own.

Internal Engine Modifications AKA NA

-> 346

1) 10.71x @ 127.32 - sixspdvet Details
2) 10.752 @ 126.91 - paint it black vette Details
3) 10.753 @ 124.48 - JON CONA Details/Slip/Video
4) 10.769 @ 121.66 - Hot_Wheels Details/Slip
5) 10.819 @ 130.08 - Fartpipe Details
6) 11.05x @ 120.50 - FACE Details
7) 11.18x @120.3x - PRE-Z06 Details
8) 11.201 @ 123.xx - Nickolbag Details/Video
9) 11.29x @ 121.0 - Nysbadmk8 Details
10) 11.309 @ 123.xx - DA GOAT! Details

-> 346+

1) 9.584@142.22 - DBN Details
2) 9.76x @ 139.26 - redvette1077 Details
3) 9.95x @ 137.xx - STEALTH 99 C5 Details/Slip
4) 10.274 @ 130.02 - REDGAR Details
5) 10.499 @ 129.38 - YOEL Details/Slip/Video
6) 10.81x @ 130.13 - simpleman68 Details
7) 10.827 @ 125.14 - ALLTHROTTLE&NOBOTTLE Details
8) 10.83x @ 130.6x - msghuff Details
9) 10.85x @ 123.xx - 404StrokedC5 Details
10) 10.9xx @ 128.xx - VGLNTE1 Details

Power Adders (supercharger, turbo, nitrous)

1) 8.54x @ 164.97 - bloweryboy Details/Video
2) 8.63x @ 154.xx - Doug @ ECS Details
3) 8.783 @ 153.74 - 4DRUSH Details/Slip/Video
4) 8.874 @ 155.29 - STEALTH 99 C5Details/Video/Slip
5) 9.247 @ 145.27 - uniquec5 Details/Slip
6) 9.253 @ 152.90 - stonabones69 Details/Slip
7) 9.331 @ 149.18 - STEALTH 99 C5 Details
8) 9.33x @ 147.21 - Asmokegars Details
9) 9.518 @ 141.17 - racerrob333 Details/Slip/Video
10) 9.60x @ 143.19 - FUSW Details/Video

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-10-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Darion
Safety Car

For those interseted in the details or video of the above cars open the link below and then open the hyperlink next to the time. Many of the cars have setup information plus video of the run. Also opening the link will show many more examples, so from mild to wild.

Thanks again Capthuff and all who particapated,

Darion

Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

You can make anything fast nowadays with enough money. Your setup has a lot to do with it to. Im NA 12:1cr with TFS heads and a healthy cam. Ive beaten a good number of FI cars that had 100+(dyno)rwhp on me. Maybe they werent setup right? Who knows. I still like old school hp all motor. I do respect guys that build fast NA cars a bit more than FI though, I just think NA takes a bit more brains to have as efficient and to get the combo right. Still, if it makes power, I'll drive whatever.

Get notified of new replies

To No supercharger for me!

Old 06-10-2010, 04:30 PM
C5Natie
Safety Car

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Darion
For those interseted in the details or video of the above cars open the link below and then open the hyperlink next to the time. Many of the cars have setup information plus video of the run. Also opening the link will show many more examples, so from mild to wild.

Thanks again Capthuff and all who particapated,

Darion

Im #16 on the ->346 list with my old setup. Not to shabby.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
which is why NA wins. the area under the curve cant be beat. Buddy of mine has a TT z06 that makes 530 on the same dyno I made 465 on. He gets .10 faster times than me. Same track, same day, same race, same clutch, almost same gearing, similar tires and 60's. Granted his trap is higher, but for ET, the FI fails..
Note highlighted in RED.

That is just a plain dumb *** statement.

For example my Roots blower will get more power under the curve all day long then your NA car.

If his 60' is the same how are you claiming under the curve power advantage?

btw FI Fails??? at .10 better he is still beating you driving away or am I missing something here
Old 06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Note highlighted in RED.

That is just a plain dumb *** statement.

For example my Roots blower will get more power under the curve all day long then your NA car.

If his 60' is the same how are you claiming under the curve power advantage?

btw FI Fails??? at .10 better he is still beating you driving away or am I missing something here
I love general statements like that...no sense at all.

Quick Reply: No supercharger for me!