Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top battery - expected life?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 12:54 AM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my 6 year old Optima Red Top with a new one. At least it didn't leak like the two previous batteries did.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 AM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Optima =
Old 03-16-2011, 02:25 AM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

My last one lasted 5 yrs as a garage queen using a trickle charger
Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WORST customer service in the world. Will never buy one again.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bobby777
COULDNT HELP FROM RESPONDING BACK ON THIS 6 MONTH OLD THREAD--FOR SOME REASON OPTIMA HAS A VERY BIG H---D ON FOR THE MOST POPULAR BY FAR CHARGER/MAINTAINER ON THE MARKET--ITS AS GOOD IF NOT BETTER FOR ANY AGM BATTERY ON THE MARKET-MAYBE THEY WOULDNT SLIP ENOUGH $$$ TO RECOMMEND THE BEST?

I was thinking the same thing when I read this.
There can be NO credibility to anything this person says. He is from a battery company that recomends the use of a tender,but has never heard of the Deltran battery tender plus. When an "expert" does not know his azz from a hole in the ground,it is hard to take him seriously.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd_Vette
Optima =

Fourth one just died in 6 years. or they just dont like battery tenders.

All the extras electronic drain were disconnected / turned off too. No bulbs in inside lights, no radio connect, no AC / heat, no clock.

Warranty or not, back to AC Delco.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:58 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rd_Vette
Optima =
red top is for ever day driver this one works if you let it set it will only chg back up to its lowest point. Then the yellow top will go back up to its highest point on the chg. I have yellow in three of my cars only had one problem out of one of them in over seven years.
Old 03-17-2011, 03:10 AM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

bobby777, I don't have any sales data on what is or is not a popular charger or maintainer, but if you do, please feel free to share it. Optima does not endorse any brand of charger or maintainer, although I am allowed to give general advice on what to look for in a charger or maintainer and I can speak from personal experience.

Sjohnson2615, I never said I hadn't heard of that brand of charger, just that I didn't have personal experience with it- I don't own one (I'm still using my 20-year old Schumacher when I need to charge a battery), but I do see them at the racetrack all the time. Here's a picture I took at an ALMS race last summer-

AU N EGL, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your batteries. Can you describe the circumstances surrounding these issues and the voltage of the batteries? Was the battery disconnected from the vehicle when this occurred?

robert miller, all batteries sulfate when they are left in partially-discharged states. A 10-amp charge for up to two hours can help break up this sulfation, but if the battery gets hot to the touch or begins to vent, charging should be discontinued immediately. YellowTops are more resilient in deep-cycle applications, but as long as battteries haven't suffered irreversible damage from abuse or neglect, they should be able to accept a full charge, regardless of whether they are YellowTops or RedTops.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.powerpacknation.com
Old 03-17-2011, 06:44 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

AU N EGL, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been having with your batteries. Can you describe the circumstances surrounding these issues and the voltage of the batteries? Was the battery disconnected from the vehicle when this occurred?
Nope. Car is a dedicated track car. not quite a race car, but close. During the off season, Dec through Feb, the car is not used. and really is only used 3-4 days a month.

During the cars none use time the battery is one a Battery Tender( this brand ) on jackstand or transport wheels.

There are no light bulds in the car for the doors or hatch or under hood light.

We have checked for battery drain, and or any type of shorts. No luck

Some one had mention, that the cars need to be driven more to keep the charge and less on a tender. Could be.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 03-17-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:09 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Going on 5 years here for my Red Top but I'm big on plugging in a battery maintainer since it my sit for awhile. I've been told that these Glass Mat batteries don't perform well unless charged on a regular basis either w/ a maintainer or running the car.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:03 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
bobby777, I don't have any sales data on what is or is not a popular charger or maintainer, but if you do, please feel free to share it. Optima does not endorse any brand of charger or maintainer, although I am allowed to give general advice on what to look for in a charger or maintainer and I can speak from personal experience.

Sjohnson2615, I never said I hadn't heard of that brand of charger, just that I didn't have personal experience with it- I don't own one (I'm still using my 20-year old Schumacher when I need to charge a battery), but I do see them at the racetrack all the time. Here's a picture I took at an ALMS race last summer-

robert miller, all batteries sulfate when they are left in partially-discharged states. A 10-amp charge for up to two hours can help break up this sulfation, but if the battery gets hot to the touch or begins to vent, charging should be discontinued immediately. YellowTops are more resilient in deep-cycle applications, but as long as battteries haven't suffered irreversible damage from abuse or neglect, they should be able to accept a full charge, regardless of whether they are YellowTops or RedTops.

Jim McIlvaine
www.powerpacknation.com
Thanks for the info was only going from what Auto Zone told me that is what the place told them where the OPTIMA batter came from... I do know I have had more problems out of the red top than the yellow top. I understand what you are saying on the chging of the batt and will do it like that from now on.. Thanks for your info on it Robert
Old 03-17-2011, 02:18 PM
Hi/Tek/Vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
I bought an Opitma Yellow Top for my car. Like you my car hardly gets driven. After 23 months it would not hold a charge. I took it back for an exchange under warranty.
When they tested mine it showed I had a dead cell on it. They told me that was very rare for a Yellow Top. Just my luck.
Just took my 7 month old yellow top back.. dead cell

minga ....

the price on new ones was$250 ...!!!!!
Old 03-17-2011, 02:53 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
WORST customer service in the world. Will never buy one again.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Red Top !

Originally Posted by peter pan
My red top stays on a trickle charge and it is a weekend warrior and the battery is 6 years old and I will get another when it goes south
Yeah, what he said !
Old 03-18-2011, 12:17 AM
OptimaJim

AU N EGL, generally speaking, cars that are driven daily tend to have far fewer battery-related issues than those that only see occasional use. However, you are correct to maintain your battery with a tender, instead of placing undue stress on your alternator. When you checked for a drain, what was the draw on the battery? Since this sounds like a recent failure, did this occur while it was in storage and connected to your tender? What were the settings on the tender you were using?

Tigershark3, no battery (AGM or otherwise) does well when it is allowed to sit in a partially-discharged state. You are making a wise decision by keeping your battery plugged into a maintainer. Hi/Tek/Vette, what were the settings on your maintainer when your battery failed?

Jim McIlvaine
www.powerpacknation.com
Old 03-18-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi/Tek/Vette
Racer

Hi/Tek/Vette, what were the settings on your maintainer when your battery failed?

Jim McIlvaine
www.powerpacknation.com

Ctek multi 3300, in pulse maintenance mode

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Red Top battery - expected life?

Old 03-19-2011, 01:00 AM
OptimaJim

I trust your warranty return was handled properly? Did they tell you what the voltage was when you returned it?

Jim McIlvaine
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 03-19-2011, 11:06 AM
vette.mix
Le Mans Master

I need a new battery and after reading this thread there seems to be no consistent information, wally mart might be the way to go since it seems to be the luck of the draw.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi/Tek/Vette
Racer

I trust your warranty return was handled properly? Did they tell you what the voltage was when you returned it?

Jim McIlvaine
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
dead cell

Advance Auto guy seemed to see plenty of returns on them

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top battery - expected life?