Sponsored by:

Short shifter broken?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
andrewjhaley
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Short shifter broken?

I noticed some slop today when changing into 2nd and 4th gear. When I shifted to 6th, the shifter pulled out of its socket. I must push down on the shifter now to get proper engagement. I haven't been able to take the console off to look at the shifter yet. I believe it's broken in the pivot point since the shift rod assembly can be lifted a few inches with very little effort while in neutral.

What caused it? Has anyone experienced this before? If so, is it something that can be fixed without requiring a weld?
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sure it is broken or perhaps just come out of the socket. You need to open up the console to see what the situation looks like.

Last edited by Jet-Jock; 07-29-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Boulty1961
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andrew,
I don't think that it is broken but without looking at it there is no way to tell. The shifter is a strong piece of steel. The shifter assembly is held in car with 4 bolts. It is my guess that they have worked loose. The shifter assembly itself has 4 rivets holding it together. Those rivets hold the shifter rod retaining ring to the metal plate that bolts to the car. Those may also be the trouble. If the rivets are broken, drill them out and replace them. If you are not able to use rivets, you could use the same size bolt and nut with some lock-tight (I would use blue so it can be removed if you need to).
Old 07-29-2010, 11:00 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmmm!

Seems like a great time to replace it!
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It has a plastic cap on the ball end, its very likely the cap separated.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:19 PM
BAMvette
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '17

What "short shifter" is in the car?
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Check this page 2 of this post, scroll down you'll see what I mean from the pictures:

Shifter install
andrewjhaley
Racer

Originally Posted by BAMvette
What "short shifter" is in the car?
B&M Precision
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 AM
herZ06
Racer

Originally Posted by Boulty1961
Andrew,
The shifter assembly is held in car with 4 bolts. It is my guess that they have worked loose.

I have a B&M in mine, and this happened to me. We were on a road trip in the vette. We live in Indiana, and we were in TEXAS. We had to break the console down in an autozone parking lot and all of these bolts except for 1 had backed out completely and the last one was about halfway out. It's an easy fix, but it sucks when it happens! Whoever had installed mine though, for whatever reason, used gasket maker on the bolts. I guess they confused it for loctite? It's happened 2x since, even with properly using loctite on the bolts. Last time, we used helicoils... so hopefully, it's fixed for good... it's been ok thus far!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If you used the 4 stock 6mm bolts to install the shifter - they are too short. The base of the after market shifter is thicker and you don't get enough purchase using the stock length bolts. Don't just retighten the bolts. Replace them with longer ones.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 AM
GFCmgb71
Racer

happened to me too. got longer bolts with some washers and some threadlock and it wont happen again!
Old 07-30-2010, 11:23 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by WKMCD
If you used the 4 stock 6mm bolts to install the shifter - they are too short. The base of the after market shifter is thicker and you don't get enough purchase using the stock length bolts. Don't just retighten the bolts. Replace them with longer ones.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:08 PM
andrewjhaley
Racer

Originally Posted by Boulty1961
Andrew,
I don't think that it is broken but without looking at it there is no way to tell. The shifter is a strong piece of steel. The shifter assembly is held in car with 4 bolts. It is my guess that they have worked loose. The shifter assembly itself has 4 rivets holding it together. Those rivets hold the shifter rod retaining ring to the metal plate that bolts to the car. Those may also be the trouble. If the rivets are broken, drill them out and replace them. If you are not able to use rivets, you could use the same size bolt and nut with some lock-tight (I would use blue so it can be removed if you need to).
It was the 4 bolts holding the assembly in, thank you.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:10 PM
andrewjhaley
Racer

Originally Posted by WKMCD

I noticed that when re tightening the bolts, they just weren't grabbing. I am headed to the hardware store to pick some longer bolts. Thanks for the re-assurance, thought I was having issues.

Get notified of new replies

To Short shifter broken?

Quick Reply: Short shifter broken?