Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 01:20 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Have seen samples of Pat's work here on the forum and all comments posted about them have been very positive. You won't go wrong ordering from him.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM
GPGG70
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the wiper cowl and wiper blade arms I received last month from Mr. Pat but havent had time to install them on my car yet. I know, my bad. The cowl and wiper arms look perfect. Hope to get them installed this week.
Now that I've seen the radio bezel and arm rest console, I may have to order them as well. I really like that gunmetal gray.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Z06 Nate
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pat, Ive heard you can do wheels too. What about deep dish wheels? Does that make a difference?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I will give you some great advice

Originally Posted by BWF07
I am getting ready to change out all of my stainless steel/chrome engine dressup to carbon fiber. I am looking at around $1200.00 all together. What I am not sure of is the difference in hydrocarbon and carbon fiber.

Also as I was shopping at different vendors, I found a prices difference on certain parts and thought I would order from a couple of different suppliers (all forum vendors). I also wonder if I order from two different vendors will the black CF match.
Whom ever you decide to go with stick with that same vender do to color reasons , I've got a buddy that went with 3 different companies and he has 3 different colors .... $1200.00 is great to start with .... But it's an addiction man ill post pics of what I've had done in hydro carbon from American Hydrocarbon ....
Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Old 05-28-2013, 12:38 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

The difference? Real carbon looks good and hydrocarbon looks cheesy/ugly as sin...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM
American Hydrocarbon

I took everyones advice and contacted Pat earlier today. I will be placing an order on Friday. I will be tied up alday tomorrow ,so that is why Friday. I'll post a few before and after pictures.

Thanks for all the imput.
If you have any questions please call me...
Pat Scorzetti
813-476-5638

FYI - I can cover over those ss pieces and sve you $$$$...
Old 05-28-2013, 12:45 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by MotoJB
The difference? Real carbon looks good and hydrocarbon looks cheesy/ugly as sin...
Here are the two for comparison. Can you tell?
Old 05-28-2013, 12:54 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by American Hydrocarbon
Whoops...didn't realize the MFG was on this thread.

I have my harsh opinions sometimes and yes, I can clearly tell the difference between real carbon fiber and the hydrocarbon stuff. Also, the "fake" carbon look is way more noticeable when on the car vs the photo you've shared here.

You put out a good product and I wish you/your business well...but the look just isn't for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Wow I have a chessy car
Old 05-28-2013, 01:21 PM
MotoJB
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by James2002z06
Wow I have a chessy car
Relax...don't take it personally. Love your car.

IMO, Your limited use of AHC stuff under the hood...in black color...looks ok. IMO, It's the overuse of those AHC parts, especially in the interior and in the other colors available, that looks cheesy. I can clearly tell the difference between real and fake carbon. Just don't like the look of fake carbon.

Again, just my opinion.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:27 PM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by American Hydrocarbon
Bingo...............
Pats Parts have been on mine for about 2 years (might be closer to three) and look as good now as they did when I got them.
It all depends on what you can sleep with.
If you want the real deal for the cost or something that looks just as good.
There are those that still want the Carbon Fiber in Racing but the Hydro Carbon is taking over that quickly. I have Hydrocarbon on the rail..
Not sure you knew that Pat. (mind slips at my age. Forget to mentioned it)
Just don't go over board thinking your going to get that much weight saving to make a hill of difference in a street car.
They both look great.....
Motorjb mentioned something, . You can over do it with both and make things look busy. I went or go for most extreme at the shows with the mirror back end and all the gauges and i'm sure mine would be over done to Moto but they give awards for this BTW so its like ****. One size don't fit all.
The CF is cool.. but if you ever bust a part, bring your check book and your first born cause they are going to want both and I've placed in every show the vette has been in so far so its not making that much difference to the Judges.
Goes back to what you can sleep with.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 05-28-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:02 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Default I was just being chessy .....

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Relax...don't take it personally. Love your car.

IMO, Your limited use of AHC stuff under the hood...in black color...looks ok. IMO, It's the overuse of those AHC parts, especially in the interior and in the other colors available, that looks cheesy. I can clearly tell the difference between real and fake carbon. Just don't like the look of fake carbon.

Again, just my opinion.
It's all good brother ...
Old 05-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW, GM uses both fake and real CF. Real in the body panels, fake on interior stuff. The difference is clearly the material. The weight difference won't ever be noticeable for interior pieces unless you are using a scale that measures in grams. For interior stuff I'd always go with faux cf and I ordered from Pat. Great guy and stands behind his work. For hoods, fenders etc, I'd go with real cf and pay the difference. Just my opinion.

-Alex
Old 05-28-2013, 04:52 PM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Double D Mods
I have had other companies want my business with hydrocarbon and have i tried them with a couple items.
The quality was no where near what Pat does and he will stand behind it.

Pat is the one who does all my hydro work on my double din bezels

My bezel Pat did for me

[/IMG]
imo there is no better bezel than the leather/carbon one above. it has a good balance and doesn't feel overdone with the cf
Old 05-28-2013, 05:18 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I plan on contacting Pat tomorrow and placing an order. He is actually only about an hour north of me.

I will do that. I will post a picture of the engine bay as it is now with the ss and after with the carbon fiber/hydrocarbon.

I plan on polishing some items such as the alternator brackets and the belt tension pulley.

I am planning on the Battery/fuse box cover (all one piece), Brake Booster cover, Power Steering Cover, Radiator Support, Fender Covers, Intake Cover, Front Nose Trim piece and I found a set of CF cap covers. I presently have painted FRC and the two tanks that are in Torch Red and Clearcoated to match the body. I want to keep those as is. If they don't work with the new CF look I may have to change those also.
Your plan sounds similiar to my setup. I liked the mixed look of paint/carbon fiber/ and chrome. I don't think you can go wrong.
I did end up going with real carbon fiber components, but have considered the wiper cowl setup in hydrocarbon. Good luck and be sure to post pics when it's finished. Also maybe include some close ups of the parts you get before installation so that others can see the quality.

Just to give you an idea of what I did.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-28-2013, 06:30 PM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

There is nothing like the real stuff but. There is some hydro that looks good . I've also seen some hydro that looks like garbage

Get notified of new replies

To Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber

Old 05-29-2013, 12:09 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With that being said, I've seen real cf that looks good and real cf that looks like garbage as well.

-Alex
Old 06-04-2013, 08:12 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by liveaboard74
Bingo...............
Pats Parts have been on mine for about 2 years (might be closer to three) and look as good now as they did when I got them.
It all depends on what you can sleep with.
If you want the real deal for the cost or something that looks just as good.
There are those that still want the Carbon Fiber in Racing but the Hydro Carbon is taking over that quickly. I have Hydrocarbon on the rail..
Not sure you knew that Pat. (mind slips at my age. Forget to mentioned it)
Just don't go over board thinking your going to get that much weight saving to make a hill of difference in a street car.
They both look great.....
Motorjb mentioned something, . You can over do it with both and make things look busy. I went or go for most extreme at the shows with the mirror back end and all the gauges and i'm sure mine would be over done to Moto but they give awards for this BTW so its like ****. One size don't fit all.
The CF is cool.. but if you ever bust a part, bring your check book and your first born cause they are going to want both and I've placed in every show the vette has been in so far so its not making that much difference to the Judges.
Goes back to what you can sleep with.
I better see you at Carlisle!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by Z06 Nate
Pat, Ive heard you can do wheels too. What about deep dish wheels? Does that make a difference?
Maybe...let me see the wheels.

Quick Reply: Hydrocarbon v. Carbon Fiber