Sponsored by:

Corvette vs Viper on SPEED channel

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:30 PM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
That is what makes the show full of crap.

Bad Drivers and driver styles.

A good driver, would never drift a car, one it is just slower, and two it is bad driving style.

Maybe great showmanship and TV Viewers love it, but still is crap driving.
Good point...Still great to see that American iron blasting up a runway at 180MPH!! Like anything else on the tube, got to make the ratings. It entertained my son and I, mission accomplished since I'll never have ZR-1 level disposable income.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
That is what makes the show full of crap.

Bad Drivers and driver styles.

A good driver, would never drift a car, one it is just slower, and two it is bad driving style.

Maybe great showmanship and TV Viewers love it, but still is crap driving.
Maybe so, if you're opinion is bias towards road racing. Obviously, spinning the tires intentionally is not the quickest way to go from point A to point B, but Tanner is a really good driver regardless. At least he's very level headed, and articulate. He describes the driving experience much better than Paul, who's got a real chip on his shoulder. It's an intertainment program, so there's gonna be compromises. I just love seeing these great match-ups, and fab cars, some of which I've never heard of, instead of another scripted "reality" show.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:41 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just curious and I know it has a lot to do with road conditions and the driver, but isn't 4.1 seconds in the 0-60 awful slow for the ZR1?? The Z06 has been clocked in the 3 second range. Something is a little off about this. I love watching the show but I don't really put too much stock in the results of each test. I think a whole bunch of this show is about getting the audience stirred up to get people watching more. I am pretty sure a ZR1 is much faster to 60 than that.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Yup entertainment is the name of the game

Video I have driving the ZR1 up to 178 mph on VIR and 172 on Road America is boring. Nice smooth driving, even braking, smooth downshift and swish around the corners and gone.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:43 PM
03WhiteConv
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 91redragtop
I am just curious and I know it has a lot to do with road conditions and the driver, but isn't 4.1 seconds in the 0-60 awful slow for the ZR1?? The Z06 has been clocked in the 3 second range. Something is a little off about this. I love watching the show but I don't really put too much stock in the results of each test. I think a whole bunch of this show is about getting the audience stirred up to get people watching more. I am pretty sure a ZR1 is much faster to 60 than that.
They were in the hills and pointed UP...seemed weird for a 0 to 60 but that was the reason for the times.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:47 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03WhiteConv
They were in the hills and pointed UP...seemed weird for a 0 to 60 but that was the reason for the times.
Not really up on all the stats for the ZR1, but does anyone know the fastest 0-60 time clocked by a stock Z?? I would love to know the official fastest time. I remember them saying they were pointing uphill but it looked like a small grade I wouldn't think it would have affected it that much.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvettepete
Just caught the last 10 minutes of the show with the one-mile race. I have Comcast cable. They don't have this particular show on their On-Demand yet, so will look for it on the Speed Channel website. Nothing like watching it in full 1080 HD on my 61' Sammy, though.
' = foot
" = inches

If you have a 61 foot Samsung then I could probably watch it from my home in ChicagoJ/K
Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Cosmic Charlie
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MG RED 99
' = foot
" = inches

If you have a 61 foot Samsung then I could probably watch it from my home in ChicagoJ/K

The space shuttle could watch !

Quick Reply: Corvette vs Viper on SPEED channel