Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG adj coilovers are far superior to Pfadts!

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM
bswift405
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG adj coilovers are far superior to Pfadts!

Hello all,
I first want to say that the following statements are my opinions. I base them off the experiences I’ve had over the last year. I am sure some will agree with my assessment and many others will not. I am not interested in starting a debate here. In the end I am simply trying to outline my experiences so others may use that knowledge as they wish.

On to the story, I purchased a set of Pfadt Racing Coliovers a year ago from a CF vendor. They were installed on a low mile 03 Z06. This is my second vehicle which is more of a weekend toy than anything else. The car was lightly modded at the time. I planned on a SC and elaborate audio/video install, so I wanted to tackle the suspension before those items.

The install was straight forward. The coilovers were the new style, but with their old bushings. Immediately after the install the fronts were making noise. A quick call to Pfadt and they told me to tighten up the front top nut, which silenced the front. Next the rear started making noise. So I dropped the rear tightened the top nut used more tread locker and reinstalled. The noise was still there but not as loud. Remember I don’t drive the car much (few times a month) as I travel for work a lot, and had the car down doing other things to it. The car was sitting for close to 4 months with very little use. Each time I took the car out I could hear the rears making noise.

Earlier this year I finally finished the car, and was happy with everything we did. The only thing left to take care of was the annoying noise the car would make while going over uneven surfaces in the road at low speeds. The sound was a metal on metal sound, like a coil moving. I called Pfadt, and they said they had some new bushings that would take care of the issue. I installed…..and same problem. I called again they told me to check various items and at times implied it was my install or another part on my car. So I basically took the entire rear of the car apart trying to find this noise to no avail. After 10 plus calls to Pfadt they told me to send in the rear coilovers. I get a call and a bull**** story of what the problem was along with a guarantee that they solved the issue (which naturally cost me more money). I was excited to hear the issue would be resolved. They came in a few days later and guess what, still making noise.

Feeling like I got screwed I made a few more calls to them. With no forward progress I decided to get an independent third party involved. A well know local turner (thanks for all your help guys) went through the entire rear suspension, and they came to the same conclusion I did. They also mentioned I was not the first person that has had this issue.

Pfadt was not interested in resolving this so I bought a new set of LG adjustable coilover. The shop I was working with contacted LG and I was sent the new set within a few days.

Folks, there is a huge difference in the LGs and Pfadt coilovers. Many of you are only looking at glossy online photos. You need to compare them side by side to really appreciate the differences! I had them both setting out in the garage. My girlfriend (that only knows cars have 4 tires and a key) immediately pointed out how much better engineered the LGs looked. I was shocked at how two different companies provided two very different solutions for the same problem.

In my opinion the LGs are better in every way. They have a much better way of mounting to the car. They have rubber isolators the coil sits in to insure they stay quiet, and rubber boots that cover the shock shafts to insure they stay clean. They also have the remote adjuster for the rears, which is huge for me as I have audio eq in the trunk.

The LG install was easier due to the fact they are already assembled and you don’t have use old mounting parts. Once installed, I took her out for a spin. Guess what, no noise from the rears!!!!

In my opinion Pfadt has done great at marketing and hyping up their products on the forums (that’s the reason why I bought them). However, LG is offering a far superior product for the same money. If I would have purchased the LGs a year ago I would have saved myself a lot of headaches.

Thanks to all the guys over at LG for helping me on the initial set up. The car is dialed in and perfect.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:11 PM
z06joe
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Nice write up!!! I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on come CO's myself and the 2 I were deciding on are these 2 manufactures. Thanks for your personal opinion!!!!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:22 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Wow, I did not have that issue with my PFADTs, in my next C6Z I have have to look at the LGs COs
Old 08-10-2010, 04:32 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Love my LG GT2's once I added more spring preload and up'd the dampening settings.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:44 PM
BHRZ06
Burning Brakes

love my lg's
Old 08-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Good writeup. I got my Pfadt's installed earlier this spring by a Corvette racing shop, and like you, I drive my '03 Z06 casually and not as often as I'd like to. So far, so good. No squeaks or rattles of any kind. I'm hoping they stay solid for years to come. I've seen pix of the LG's and I agree they look like a quality piece. I got a deal too good to pass up on the Pfadt's, which is why I got them (I've never seen the LG's even close to the price I paid for the Pfadt's...yet). Enjoy your new LG's!
Old 08-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

I'm loving my LG Coil overs ! There was no hesitation for me. I wanted the LG GT2's. Its an entirely different car to drive now. I should have done this years ago.

Toque
Old 08-10-2010, 06:38 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll be in the market for some Coil-Overs in a couple months.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:43 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks for your thoughts.
For those guys with CO's, I know the track will be more enjoyable, but what about highway and around town driving compared to the stock C5 Z06 set up?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:49 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by zipity
For those guys with CO's, I know the track will be more enjoyable, but what about highway and around town driving compared to the stock C5 Z06 set up?
interested in hearing this as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Here are my thoughts on what i noticed when I installed my LG GT2's.

I'm just cruise in my car around town on weekends.

1.) Body roll is gone in the turns. WOW, I was not expecting that, and it just made me smile.
2.) The car does not "bounce" over bumps like it used to. I had it slammed before on stock suspension. I'm at the same slammed height as I was before the install, and it drives even better than when it was at stock 4x4 height.
3.) Car feels much more connected to the road. Hard to describe in words.
4.) Goes over bumps a LOT easier. No drama like there was before.
5.) So easy to adjust vs stock.
6.) I have the front, and rear set to 9 (12 is stiffest setting). At 9 my car drives a LOT softer than it used to. Its just amazing ! I plan to play around with the settings to see what I like best.
7.) The car drives smoother in every aspect. Its hard to describe, but the car just does not feel as stiff as it used to. It feels more capable performance wise in every aspect.
8.) No front end dip when you hard brake
9.) The car does not "hop" over bumps when going around turns. It just flows over the bumps in turns now. You have to feel it understand.

Its cool to feel what a "true" independent suspension on these cars feels like !

Toque

Last edited by Toque; 08-10-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM
BHRZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toque

1.) Body roll is gone in the turns. WOW, I was not expecting that, and it just made me smile.
2.) The car does not "bounce" over bumps like it used to. I had it slammed before on stock suspension. I'm at the same slammed height as I was before the install, and it drives even better than when it was at stock 4x4 height.
6.) I have the front, and rear set to 9 (12 is stiffest setting). At 9 my car drives a LOT softer than it used to. Its just amazing ! I plan to play around with the settings to see what I like best.
7.) The car drives smoother in every aspect. Its hard to describe, but the car just does not feel as stiff as it used to. It feels more capable performance wise in every aspect.
9.) The car does not "hop" over bumps when going around turns. It just flows over the bumps in turns now. You have to feel it understand.

Its cool to feel what a "true" independent suspension on these cars feels like !

Toque
100 percent one of the best mods
Old 08-10-2010, 09:30 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 670 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Toque
Thanks for the post.
Did you upgrade the stock sway bar too or are you stock?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Thanks for the post.
Did you upgrade the stock sway bar too or are you stock?
I have the 04 Z06 stock sways... bigger than regular C5's. It seems great to me and the type of driving I do.

Toque
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

How are the LG GT2's for drag racing?
Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by black98c5
How are the LG GT2's for drag racing?
Dial down the dampening and they should work well.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Toque
This side-hopping, while reduced somewhat when I swapped in non-runflats, is my biggest complaint about the C5. I've always liked the LG design and I believe many folks use cost as the determining factor for deciding which tires, coilovers, etc to purchase. Even the LG non-adjustable coilovers with Bilstein shocks are a work of art.

Get notified of new replies

To LG adj coilovers are far superior to Pfadts!

Old 08-10-2010, 11:38 PM
Bakeman31
Instructor

Thank you, I think I might get these but I need to gain 2 " in the rear. Can they be raised up a little?
Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 AM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Very interesting write-up, thanks for sharing.
I want to go coil overs, now I have some very solid opinion shared and backed up by personal experience. Sorry for your "long road" travelled.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:22 AM
tstar
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Toque
Add no Wheel Hop to the list... At least for me.

I do track my car and the difference is night and day. Granted I swapped out original parts from 99 (or 98) that were more then likely just plain wore out to begin with. No wallowing, chattering or sidestepping, the car is very predictable and stable with the COs and they are adjustable...

Quick Reply: LG adj coilovers are far superior to Pfadts!