Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Airbag cover melting!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 10:04 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wiped on silicone lubricant then polished with a microfiber towel. Repeated several times in the mall parking lot while I waited.............and waited!

Significant improvement if not total cure - no badd effects so far

Cheers, Andy
Old 06-26-2011, 11:48 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi. Had the same goo (noticed during/after APSIS steerings wheel upgrade.) The airbag felt like and resembled the sticky side of black electrical tape. Here's what I did, and it looks feels new. Go buy some GOOF OFF 2 low odor plastic cleaner. Comes in a plastic orange pump spray bottle. Says safe on plastic. Grab a towel to save the drippings from you seat, horn, etc.. Grab a handful of microfiber towels. Pull horn fuse (under hood). Spray some cleaner near a spoke of your steering wheel. You're gonna have to scrub with a microfiber rag, else will leave lint etc.. It took me about an hour to get the whole bag clean. I was blown away by the goo that had "morphed" into the crap that ruined 4, maybe 5 microfiber towels. Try it, I highly recommend it. Thought I was gonna have to go get a new bag, so I was ready for anything to fix it. Plastic cleaner and microfiber towels, a lot of elbow grease, you should be good as new. I am.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:22 AM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

For the cause of the goo... I think a strong non diluted leather cleaner was the culprit. It (the bag) ain't leather. Keep in mind, the cleaning will take patience and you'll think your bag is disolving. Mine didn't and looks new. I'd describe the result as no shine, no sheen, no sticky, just right, and the same as the new APSIS wheel. If I knew how to post a pic, I'd do it in a second. If you like, you can email me and I'll send you b4 and after pics. rgt1962@att.net Hope this helps. Sticky is meant for tires.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'd also be thinking it was the stuff you've been using to clean it

My Vert lived in Vegas for 3 years and even with temperatures of up to 126 degrees it never showed any signs of softening.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:20 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Gone real sticky again after a summer in storage in FL. I'm nervous about the goop off route, so I tried the talcum powder. Kills the stickiness and looks OK once you wipe and polish with a microfiber cloth.

Will report further if it goes sticky again
Old 11-06-2011, 12:03 AM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by andynpz
Gone real sticky again after a summer in storage in FL. I'm nervous about the goop off route, so I tried the talcum powder. Kills the stickiness and looks OK once you wipe and polish with a microfiber cloth.

Will report further if it goes sticky again
Hi andynpz
Honestly, I thought my airbag was melting, or (after doing some reading)disolving. Get some water-based vinyl cleaner and some micro fiber towels, pull the horn fuse, place a large towel to catch the drippings and scrub that thing clean. I would not mislead you. It occurs to me that your ab still has some type of emulsion taking place. Scrub that sucker as if you had a new spare. You'll be amazed. I thought I was rubbing the finish off of the bag, but, it was actually the "gunk" that had accumulated onto it. I could actually scrape some off with a fingernail, thinking, "Oh $hit". Well, the result is priceless. You have a cleaner/preserver on there that is made for leather (or something), screwing up your perfectly good vinyl. If your steering wheel ab looks like the gleam on my console, SCRUB!

Last edited by BLUICIDE; 10-02-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:10 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Well, Bluicide, that's quite a speech! And it was a litle sticky this morning, so I'll go to Ace Hardware tomorrow and give it a go.

Your photo is certainly very encouraging.

It's tough being a perfectionist, isn't it?!!

Cheers, Andy
Old 11-07-2011, 06:00 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Well, Bluicide, that's quite a speech! And it was a litle sticky this morning, so I'll go to Ace Hardware tomorrow and give it a go.

Cheers, Andy
Hi Andy, Tom sent this email after his success. He used a different product, though basically the same label. Let know how your results turn out. Maybe take a before & after pic for other members. Take care.

To: rgt1962@att.net
Sent: Sat, October 8, 2011 11:40:39 PM
Subject: Re: Corvette Steering Wheel melting!
GT,

Thanks for the input. I tried like crazy to find the "Goof Off 2" but after calling every hardware store, auto store, and home improvement stores, nobody had it! One hardware store however had " Lift Off 3" which was a water based cleaner safe for plastics, and was for graffiti, lip stick etc. so I tried it and like you, after about an hour and several microfiber towels had a nice looking airbag cover that had no stick and a nice finish! I was so delighted with the success, especially after pricing the cost of a used airbag on Ebay or worse, the dealer for a new one!

Thanks for the tip!!!! It saved me an airbag.

Tom
Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Cheers, Andy
I have found this forum to be FULL of perfectionists. It's all about helping folks out, and their grin factor afterwards.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 PM
andynpz
Instructor

You're right about that.

Like Tom, I haven't yet found GOOF OFF 2, but I did find Goo Gone... and it is orange colored.... and it is claimed it will deal with anything sticky. Will search further before I do a test area.

Cheers, Andy
Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM
KN6VV
Intermediate

You're right about that.

Like Tom, I haven't yet found GOOF OFF 2, but I did find Goo Gone... and it is orange colored.... and it is claimed it will deal with anything sticky. Will search further before I do a test area.

Cheers, Andy
Andy, I'm the "Tom" in the email above! Do not use Goo Gone. I had some but it is a petrolium base and not good on the plastic in my opinion. I found the LiftOff 3 at a local hardware store, a water based cleaner and similiar to the GoofOff mentioned and my airbag cover is still looking new weeks after the cleaning!

Would you believe that I later found a local store with the GoofOff that you might try. It was in our local Harbor Freight tool store!

Don't rush this until you get a proper cleaner. The good news here is you do not need a new airbag and the sticky stuff will clean off with the right cleaner!

Tom - KN6VV
Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by KN6VV
Andy, I'm the "Tom" in the email above! Do not use Goo Gone. I had some but it is a petrolium base and not good on the plastic in my opinion. I found the LiftOff 3 at a local hardware store, a water based cleaner and similiar to the GoofOff mentioned and my airbag cover is still looking new weeks after the cleaning!

Would you believe that I later found a local store with the GoofOff that you might try. It was in our local Harbor Freight tool store!

Don't rush this until you get a proper cleaner. The good news here is you do not need a new airbag and the sticky stuff will clean off with the right cleaner!

Tom - KN6VV
See attachment, this is the stuff.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:52 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

Found a good b4 and after set. You can tell the pink microfiber towel was new (where new Apsis leather wheel meets air bag) which is why you need to prevent dripping, etc.. The picture in the earlier post is the finished product. No regrets.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:41 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Hey, just in time! I didn't even test it yet.

I looked in several stores today but no luck, and having checked the websites for both goof off 2 and lift off 3, I see the similarity and the necessity to use the water-based product.

Tooling around hardware stores in a Corvette with the Florida sunshine is not a hardship

Thanks for the before and after pics - clearly vital to have a silk finish airbag cover with that APSIS wheel.

Cheers, Andy
Old 11-09-2011, 09:54 PM
KN6VV
Intermediate

Hey, just in time! I didn't even test it yet.

I looked in several stores today but no luck, and having checked the websites for both goof off 2 and lift off 3, I see the similarity and the necessity to use the water-based product.

Tooling around hardware stores in a Corvette with the Florida sunshine is not a hardship

Thanks for the before and after pics - clearly vital to have a silk finish airbag cover with that APSIS wheel.

Cheers, Andy
Andy,

If necessary, I see the Lift Off 3 and Goof Off 2 available on Amazon.com so you can always have it shipped to you if necessary.

Also reference the post by BLUICIDE earlier, there is some scrubbing that is necessary but I did not push "down" too hard on the vinyl while cleaning. Remember the membrane for the horn button is under there. These can be broken if too much down pressure is placed in the horn button locations.

Here is what they look like and cost to replace them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/C5-1997-98-9...item3a6bf5cf2e
Old 11-10-2011, 12:23 PM
smithd7
Instructor

I've used 303 aerospace protectant on my '99 since new,no problems.
I use it for almost everything. Check their web site out.

303products.com

Old 11-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Some plastics degrade even when they have never been touched by anything. I think it might have been in a bad batch from the factory.
I've used Armor All for the last 10 years and my C5 sits out in the sun all day -no issues. Sorry to hear about your issues, but I don't think its the cleaning or lack of cleaning products.

rr

Get notified of new replies

To Airbag cover melting!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 PM
andynpz
Instructor

Default success - 100% success!

A thousand thanks to Bluicide and KN6VV for their advice and encouragement about overcoming "STICKY AIRBAG SYNDROME" with Goof Off 2.

Looks and feels like new now, guys - took about an hour and a half - time well spent to get one step closer to perfection

Cheers, Andy
Old 11-26-2011, 08:34 PM
BLUICIDE
Burning Brakes

A thousand thanks to Bluicide and KN6VV for their advice and encouragement about overcoming "STICKY AIRBAG SYNDROME" with Goof Off 2.

Looks and feels like new now, guys - took about an hour and a half - time well spent to get one step closer to perfection

Cheers, Andy
Old 03-28-2012, 10:54 PM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

will home depot have this goo off 2 or similar product?

How about h7 degreaser? Will that work?

Quick Reply: Airbag cover melting!