Cold air Screen Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 03:19 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold air Screen Installation

Hi There,
I have these cold air screens which are a exact replacement for the black plastic insert that surrounds the fog lamps.I was wondering if there is another way to install them?I,am not interested in drilling holes or going through the h/ light assy. to install.Are their panels that will allow access?
Thanks
robsc501
Old 09-13-2010, 03:29 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,679 Likes on 1,481 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

You have two choices for the installation. (1) you remove the headlight assemblies and go in from the top which IMO is the easiest or (2) you remove the lower panels/radiator support, etc. from underneath similar to a Vararam installation.

Either way, you need to pull out the Fog light assembly, remove the stock housing and then install the new housings and reverse engineer everything you removed.

I also have a set of these open air fog light housings as I was planning a Vararam mod, however have since decided not to go with the Vararam (ordered it and did not like the quality/fit). I might still install these fog housings depending on which aftermarket air system I eventually go with.

If you perform this mod, please post pics, etc. of the process/install.

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2010, 03:51 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

These instructions will put you in the area that you have in question.

http://www.cajundude.com/vararam.htm
Old 09-13-2010, 03:57 PM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robsc501
Hi There,
I have these cold air screens which are a exact replacement for the black plastic insert that surrounds the fog lamps.I was wondering if there is another way to install them?I,am not interested in drilling holes or going through the h/ light assy. to install.Are their panels that will allow access?
Thanks
robsc501
Bob, you have a pm.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Hi There,
A big thanks to msgc5 & bumble-z. I would like to try the h/light method, but afraid of the h/ light retracting on my guitar fingers. bumble-z I received your pm. Thanks thats what I was looking for. I had those panels out a few years ago to change t/signal bulbs. The hardest part of that job was jacking the car up.
Thanks guys
robsc501
Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Hi There,
Thanks
robsc501
All I did was drill three 1" holes in each of the existing fog light panels and sold those screens I bought on the auction site. Took maybe 20 min tops.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Hi There,
A big thanks to msgc5 & bumble-z. I would like to try the h/light method, but afraid of the h/ light retracting on my guitar fingers. bumble-z I received your pm. Thanks thats what I was looking for. I had those panels out a few years ago to change t/signal bulbs. The hardest part of that job was jacking the car up.
Thanks guys
robsc501
Always make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable before doing any lighting mods. That way, they will never open/close unless you want them to! Good luck!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:37 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flasunshine1
All I did was drill three 1" holes in each of the existing fog light panels and sold those screens I bought on the auction site. Took maybe 20 min tops.
Exactly what I did. Three holes in each one, and I'm sure air moves through them.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:00 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

General Question....Does drilling holes or installing these fog light shrouds with mesh/vents actually help with the air flow/HP regardless of what intake system you have installed? I understand the Vararam design element, but what about other air intakes such as dual cone or Blackwing, Honker, etc.?
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Location: This is not a Song, It's an Outburst: Or, The Establishment Blues; Sixto Diaz Rodriguez

Originally Posted by MSG C5
General Question....Does drilling holes or installing these fog light shrouds with mesh/vents actually help with the air flow/HP regardless of what intake system you have installed? I understand the Vararam design element, but what about other air intakes such as dual cone or Blackwing, Honker, etc.?
I have a blackwing. In addition to the three 1" holes drilled in the fog light enclousures, I also have the license plate cold air screen, and cut an opening on the radiator shroud, underneath, where the blackwing sits. I figure any opening in front where air will enter has an advantage.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:10 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by renegad44
I have a blackwing. In addition to the three 1" holes drilled in the fog light enclousures, I also have the license plate cold air screen, and cut an opening on the radiator shroud, underneath, where the blackwing sits. I figure any opening in front where air will enter has an advantage.
I'm sure more air helps, however I wonder if anyone has done a before/after test after installing or modding the open airflow fog light shrouds.

If you're running Z06-like screens, I guess you could drill the OEM solid fog light shrouds for the same effect. However, if you're not running Z06-like screens, I don't think a drilled OEM shroud will look to good. I actually saw a C5 with the oval hole fog light shrouds and no screens and it looked really good. However, this is a PITA install as far as fun projects go.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:51 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

I'm sure more air helps, however I wonder if anyone has done a before/after test after installing or modding the open airflow fog light shrouds.

If you're running Z06-like screens, I guess you could drill the OEM solid fog light shrouds for the same effect. However, if you're not running Z06-like screens, I don't think a drilled OEM shroud will look to good. I actually saw a C5 with the oval hole fog light shrouds and no screens and it looked really good. However, this is a PITA install as far as fun projects go.
I don't have any pics of the 3 holes drilled in each the fog light enclosures, but I do have the Z06 screens, and the other cut's I mentioned above. Didn't do any testing of air flow afterwards, but we do both agree, more cold air helps. Forum member "flasunshine1," I believe once posted pics of his fog light holes he drilled, mine are exactly the same, maybe he'll see this post again, and post a pic of his fog lights.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:59 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by renegad44
I don't have any pics of the 3 holes drilled in each the fog light enclosures, but I do have the Z06 screens, and the other cut's I mentioned above. Didn't do any testing of air flow afterwards, but we do both agree, more cold air helps. Forum member "flasunshine1," I believe once posted pics of his fog light holes he drilled, mine are exactly the same, maybe he'll see this post again, and post a pic of his fog lights.
Cool. Would love to see the pics if Pat still has them.

I might someday install my set of fog light shrouds with the oval air-holes, however I'm going to wait until I have another lighting project or bulb replacement as my ACA HIDs/Fogs are working great and I don't want to pull out the lights. I could go at it from underneath similar to the Vararam install, however that's a tougher install IMO.

If I had remembered I even had these when I installed my ACA, that would had been the time to install them as I had all the light guts out and I had a lot of room to work with in the light wells.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:56 PM
renegad44
Safety Car

Cool. Would love to see the pics if Pat still has them.

I might someday install my set of fog light shrouds with the oval air-holes, however I'm going to wait until I have another lighting project or bulb replacement as my ACA HIDs/Fogs are working great and I don't want to pull out the lights. I could go at it from underneath similar to the Vararam install, however that's a tougher install IMO.

If I had remembered I even had these when I installed my ACA, that would had been the time to install them as I had all the light guts out and I had a lot of room to work with in the light wells.
If Pat doesn't show up soon, I'll pop my screen and try to get a pic in the next couple of days.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:03 PM
0331MARINE
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: You know your drunk when you swerve to miss the tree then you realize its your air freshener! Covington Ga

Originally Posted by flasunshine1
Same thing I did. I wasnt going to spend the money on something I could do myself. Now I took them off and put Z06 screens on.

Get notified of new replies

To Cold air Screen Installation

Quick Reply: Cold air Screen Installation