Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For guys that store their Vettes for the winter, question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 515 Likes on 314 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Why Winter Woes

Originally Posted by DFOR
Mine will be put away for the winter in a couple of weeks or sooner. Like others have said, it is the sand and the salt on the roads that keep me from driving it.

Doesn't matter if we have a February thaw. Mine is a weekend driver only and no winters. I pretty much knew that when I bought it.
Here in Pennsylvania they start laying 'Brine' on the roads just before the temperature hits 32 degrees. Now 'Brine' is just 'saline solution' with a punch. Basically salt water ! But it gets better, once the season gets a little worse, then they go to plan 'B' were they (PennDOT) lays out a few millions pounds of rock salt, Which once it get run-over a thousand times and heated by the sun on clear days becomes "Salt Dust" which will climb in any crevice or opening it can. My DD came from Long Island, NY and the front foot of the hood looks like it was hit with a shotgun blast of rock salt. Took me two days to clean and treat the undercarriage with 'Extend' or POR 15 to slow down the corrosion. But once rust starts, nothing can stop it. Steel and the elements,. . . the elements always win.

But I knew when I bought the car it wasn't going to be out in the winter. AND, if for no other reason the tires are clearly stated either on the door sticker or in the owners manual that the tire "Are not meant to be used at or below freezing ! Anyway, It's only four or five months and I knew that going into owning a Corvette or other classic vehicle. If I had a 72 Chevelle or Camaro I'd do the same thing.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:19 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just waxed it, vacummed the inside, changed the oil and filter added 20 oz. of techron to the fuel. Hooked up the battery tender. Then put the cover over her for 5 long and cold months.
Also I have a few mouse traps under the car just incase some rodents are walking around the garage.
Every so often(my garage is heated) I open the rear hatch and let the heat inside the car.
I know, my wife says I'm nuts over that car and SHE'S RIGHT. Its my baby.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,350 Likes on 14,004 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I park mine for a good part of the winter (Nov - mid-March), but there are occasional days that are very nice and the roads are clear of salt/cinders. On those days, I have been known to get the car out and enjoy a nice winter drive.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:30 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I stored my vette in an old body shop turned storage place after just 2 weeks of getting back from changing the color after I bought it.It is at 60 all winter.A Corvette is something I wanted since watching Route 66 on TV.I have had 5 now.I never drive them in salt.Its a vert and if I can have the top down I will temperature permitting.Pretty hard with Canadian winters.Driving this car is a treat , because I do not need to use it for a dd.I see what winter does to my other cars and I am anul about them to.I just want to keep it as good condition as I can.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
dcandel
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by JohnnyT

First year I've ever had the need to store a vehicle. Vacuumed the inside, washed it thoroughly, waxed it, took the battery out and hooked it to a battery tender, sta-bil in the gas tank, wheel chocked it, covered the car and wheels, and plugged in an ultrasonic pest repellent just in case.

It can get pretty nasty here in MN. Even if the weathers clear, there's still salt and powder on the roads 'til April. No sense taking the chance of driving on a clear day with super stiff (and nearly bald) tires either.
What's an "ultrasonic pest repellent"?? I'd like to know what it is and where to get one.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
fireman591
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NEREVOLUTION
Just curious. Do you guys who live in the north who work on your cars in the winter have heated garages? If so, what do you heat with? I have a detached two car+ garage and am thinking of heating it
I have a 32 wide x 48 long x 14 high garage that is heated with a gas fired forced air unit from Sterling. It is a 90,000 BTU unit. It will get the garage up to tee shirt weather in 30 minutes or less.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:05 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

I bought mine knowing that it would be a fair weather car, but even if I wanted to I wouldn't be able to get it out the alley if there was snow. I couldn't get my Infiniti G35 coupe out and it doesn't sit as low as the vette.
Les
Old 11-24-2010, 10:43 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fireman591
I have a 32 wide x 48 long x 14 high garage that is heated with a gas fired forced air unit from Sterling. It is a 90,000 BTU unit. It will get the garage up to tee shirt weather in 30 minutes or less.

Damn, your garage almost looks like my parent's garage in Mexico, yes I’m Mexican. You can literary park a semi truck with the trailer in there. My dad has a '89 Mustang LX, and he will park the car for about a year at a time . It is in better condition than my vette to say the least . He also has a 1996 Mustang, which was my 1st car, and I gave it to him about six or seven years ago. He drives my car, now his, more than he does his vert stang.
We get snow here in Kansas, yet I will drive the car on nice days without SALT on the roads. I will wait for about a week before the roads clear out. You can see the salt left over on the road after the snow melts. They will use both salt and sand here in Kansas. I park the car in the garage in the alley, so the snow has to melt before I can even try and attempt to drive it. I will not be able to get it out of the garage if it is even muddy. I do plug the car to a battery tender for the time I’m not driving it from a couple of days to a couple of weeks.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I put my vette up for 6 months and we don't have salt here in the pacific horthwest but we have trucks that love to throw gravel all over that beautiful paint job.Another thing is you have to notify the insurance co. 24 hours before full coverag will go into effect if you are on storage ins.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NEREVOLUTION
Just curious. Do you guys who live in the north who work on your cars in the winter have heated garages? If so, what do you heat with? I have a detached two car+ garage and am thinking of heating it
I have a detached shop with a 4 post lift. Since it does not have easy access to the gas line and everything was open,,I got a smaller version of the commercial electric jobs that look like a box hanging from the corner rafters.I turn it on late fall early winter when the temps start hitting the freezing mark on a regular basis. I have a thermostat that goes down to 45,,and mounted it about 5 1/2' above the floor. keeps all my liquids from freezing like that without using much power. When I go out to work,,kick it up to about 60,,and its warm in minutes!! Will do even better when I get the insulation done!! the shop is 18x20 with a 12' ceiling!!
Old 11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I want to enjoy my car as long as I can so I don't store it in the winter. If the streets are dry, regardless of the salt dried on them I'll drive it. I just detail the living S*it out of it on a regular basis and I've seen no adverse effects from this practice. The way I see it it's kinda like the guy who buys rubber floor mats for his new car to save the carpet underneath - for the next owner. $.02 deposited
Old 11-25-2010, 03:10 PM
daveream
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put mine away in Oct and head south till may. Always feels like driving a new car when i get it back on the road
Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

If the weather cooperates and there is no salt......then yea, I would bring her out for a ride.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:16 PM
snowbird12
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get the rodent repeler at most hardware stores.It omits a high freqency that drives the rodents away. It plugs into the wall then you put it near the car or under it.It works well.I also put a picture of my x wife near the car ,it helps also, along with her broom.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 PM
RedC5
Melting Slicks

Received 132 Likes on 88 Posts

I drive mine when decent in Michigan winters....sitting cars can develop more issues, I beleive.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 AM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
I want to enjoy my car as long as I can so I don't store it in the winter. If the streets are dry, regardless of the salt dried on them I'll drive it. I just detail the living S*it out of it on a regular basis and I've seen no adverse effects from this practice. The way I see it it's kinda like the guy who buys rubber floor mats for his new car to save the carpet underneath - for the next owner. $.02 deposited
Old 11-26-2010, 01:34 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a large wood burning stove in my 3 car garage if I ever need to work out there. I feel so lucky to live down here in Ky where it never gets bad for very long and rain is frequent enough to wash the salt off quickly. If it's a nice, clean road day and I haven't driven it for a while, down the road we go. There is a nice spacious 4 lane highway 100 yds from my driveway perfect for a warming spin. I feel bad for you guys that get all that salt and brine dumped on you every winter. But I know you love your cars as much as me so you're protecting them. I would do the same in your shoes.

Quick Reply: For guys that store their Vettes for the winter, question???