Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] MS3 cam with vararam and catback only?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:05 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,313 Posts

pm sent
Old 01-03-2011, 07:07 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1fast97gsx
Well by driveability I meant more that I don't want the car to be excessively loud ( like from headers ) where all you hear is the drone of the exhaust when at cruise since I do a lot of highway driving and to me it just makes the car much less enjoyable. Is there a smaller cam I would perhaps be ok without having to touch anything else that would give me some decent gains?
Ok, makes sense. I think your biggest problem is the aftermarket catback. Try to trade your aftermarket for the stock Ti catback and your drone will be gone and sounds great with headers and or cam and you won't be giving up anything in performance.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM
1fast97gsx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ctusser
Ok, makes sense. I think your biggest problem is the aftermarket catback. Try to trade your aftermarket for the stock Ti catback and your drone will be gone and sounds great with headers and or cam and you won't be giving up anything in performance.
Hmm that's an interesting idea. The thing is my 97 vette also has a vararam and a corsa catback and the car is very quiet. The ZO6 is just plain loud with the same mods but then again the exhaust was already on the ZO6 when I got it so maybe they are naturally much louder than a normal C5. Suppose I were to give in and do headers and consider finding a stock catback, any suggestions on which ones to go with? I see texas speed sells some cheaper ones but I haven't heard much about them. Seems like kooks and lg are the popular ones?
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM
BuddhaZ06
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

here's my story; lol

i did cam(xer273) only with vararam, headers, and no cats and borla straight pipes. that was LOUD. ran great but was very loud.

then i put stock manifolds and cats and stock ti's back on with cam only setup cuz the headers i had were ****ty fitting. that was horrible. it was way too quiet and lost all of its *****. i wanted to sell the car

now i have stock manifolds, no cats, and stock ti's with a much bigger cam and some big heads on stock cube. the car sounds AMAZING exactly how it is. i got a good deal on heads/cam so i went ahead and did it and built the motor and what not, and am gonna do headers after the engine is all broken in and everything. and im gonna go with xspower headers and cat less xpipe with stock ti's. should sound great. and the car actually runs amazing for being untuned. runs better than the xer273 cam with headers. just my experiences. sorry so long, hope it helps!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:06 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmm that's an interesting idea. The thing is my 97 vette also has a vararam and a corsa catback and the car is very quiet. The ZO6 is just plain loud with the same mods but then again the exhaust was already on the ZO6 when I got it so maybe they are naturally much louder than a normal C5. Suppose I were to give in and do headers and consider finding a stock catback, any suggestions on which ones to go with? I see texas speed sells some cheaper ones but I haven't heard much about them. Seems like kooks and lg are the popular ones?
I have lg super pros,high flow cats, and stock ti's . this is the perfect set up if you want quite cruise and idol ( no drone)and a wicked sounding machine at WOT perfectly streetable and benefit almost all the power from your cam (manifolds choke the ls6)

Steve
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM
legman
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by machz800ps
I have lg super pros,high flow cats, and stock ti's . this is the perfect set up if you want quite cruise and idol ( no drone)and a wicked sounding machine at WOT perfectly streetable and benefit almost all the power from your cam (manifolds choke the ls6)

Steve

Come on....you already have the vararam, complete the package and add some LT's, free-flows, x-pipe and finish with a set of TI's.

I have LG streets, hi-flows, x-pipe, and had TI's and then I decided on a deeper sound. Sound was great with LG's big 3 catback but I didn't like the situations in normal traffic where normal driving sounded like full throttle. There was some drone at cruising speeds too.

So now back to TI's. Can still hear the fans kick on inside and you'll have a nice,knarly WOT.....

Last edited by legman; 01-04-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:01 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Z06 will be louder than a regular C5 b/c of the opening to the trunk and less sound deadening. If you don't have a trunk partition yet I'd strongly advise getting one as that will dramatically cut down on cabin noise. As far as header sets they all seem to dyno within a couple HP of each other on bolt-on cars so I'd look at the cheaper sets if you want to save money and still get good performance. I've heard good things about the Texas speed sets and they are a reputable shop, so I don't think you can go wrong there. I'll post a link to another popular economy brand that has good reviews to give you another option.

http://oversteeringonline.com/C5_Headers_X-pipe.html

Quick Reply: [Z06] MS3 cam with vararam and catback only?