Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Headlights - How good are they?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:14 PM
TXTBOOK
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C5 Headlights - How good are they?

I'm starting to do some research to buy a 2004 C5 sometime this summer. I have a few questions about the headlight situation, namely the actual effectiveness of illumination.

How good are the stock C5's headlights as far as illumination of the road goes?

Are they plastic or metal (the actual lens)? What options are there for upgrades?

It may sound trivial, but I'm a stickler for great headlights. Ideally I'd like to look into converting them to the HID type, but I've seen pictures of this and it just doesn't look natural to me. I'm big on keeping mods look stock or at least natural to the car, and the one's I've seen are just goofy looking.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 PM
Blitzkrieg
AKA "The CLOWN"
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The stock headlights are not that great, however you can change the bulbs for cheap, or you can go with HID's, If you want to change out the housing then I suggest that you talk you Mr. Bill, he has a very nice set up and I'm sure he would be glad to tell you the details on his mod, it looks very nice and almost factory! Good luck with your choice
Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
ourblk96
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXTBOOK
I'm starting to do some research to buy a 2004 C5 sometime this summer. I have a few questions about the headlight situation, namely the actual effectiveness of illumination.

How good are the stock C5's headlights as far as illumination of the road goes?

Are they plastic or metal (the actual lens)? What options are there for upgrades?

It may sound trivial, but I'm a stickler for great headlights. Ideally I'd like to look into converting them to the HID type, but I've seen pictures of this and it just doesn't look natural to me. I'm big on keeping mods look stock or at least natural to the car, and the one's I've seen are just goofy looking.

Thanks for your help.
The headlights are terrible on the C5. For a vast improvement; upgrade to HID sold through many supporting vendors. I purchased my HID upgrade through Jonnathon at JW Motoring, a great supporting vendor. I went with the ACA HID style headlights with 5000K H9 bulbs along with the HID 5000k foglights...I'm completely satisfied.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:32 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

The stock OEM C5 halogen headlights IMO are very poor compared to today's halogen and HID options. However in fairness to GM, the headlights are based on a platform that is now 15 years old and a lot has changed since then.

Perform a search under HID lights and you will find many, many threads showing various options. Up until recently, most of these options centered around exposed headlights where you remove the pop-ups for a C5R racing look. Although these are great options, many (like me) chose to stay with the pop ups and simply upgrade the lighting because we like the stealth look. Plus, IMO the pop-ups help to define the C5 design.

Below are my ACA HID projectors. They are true HIDs and are not simply HID bulbs in a stock OEM halogen housing therefore they are not blasting out light at oncoming traffic. Combined with my HID fogs and LED tails/corners, they provide fantastic lighting and certainly upgrades the 15 year-old lighting design.

Last edited by MSG C5; 02-10-2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:38 PM
TXTBOOK
Cruising

Thanks so much for all the quick replies and the pictures.

I'm liking the ACA HID's. Your picture above and Mr. Bill's pictures in his install thread might be exactly what I'm looking for. The lens and "bulb" frames looks like they have enough attention to detail and refinement to where they could have been a stock option. Very nice.

I definitely want to keep the pop-up lights.

Is there a known temporary solution that might involve the Toshiba HIR bulbs and a clear lens, without going all out with a true HID kit?

I'll do some more forum searches.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

I put Silverstar Ultra bulbs in and they made a big improvement over stock. Hid's are too pricey for me. Got them on the auction site for $29. Good enough for me and as I said big improvement over stock. I have read that they do not last that long though but that will vary with how much night driving you do.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:48 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,688 Likes on 1,487 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by TXTBOOK
Thanks so much for all the quick replies and the pictures.

I'm liking the ACA HID's. Your picture above and Mr. Bill's pictures in his install thread might be exactly what I'm looking for. The lens and "bulb" frames looks like they have enough attention to detail and refinement to where they could have been a stock option. Very nice.

I definitely want to keep the pop-up lights.

Is there a known temporary solution that might involve the Toshiba HIR bulbs and a clear lens, without going all out with a true HID kit?

I'll do some more forum searches.
I chose the ACAs because I wanted something that would look as close to OEM as possible. Even though nobody really sees the housing at night when the lights are on, I didn't want anything that screamed "after market".

A few Corvette buddies saw the lights and could not believe the difference to the stock lights when we did a side-by-side comparison.

Plus, most of my driving is done during the day when the lights are down anyway. Which IMO is even more of a stealth look than the C6.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

C5 stock headlights SUCK! My F150 fog lights are brighter!

The only good thing about stock lights is that no one cares if you leave your brights on,,,,or can tell! Gonna fix this prob soon...JWM is gonna make money and help at the same time!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:36 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

you can get halogen ACA projectors on fleabay for around $350. The light output and pattern is 99% as good as HID lamps. You just dont get the fancy purple/blue colors. In fact, my halogen ACA's, even with the extremely crappy bulbs they came with, put out more light than a lot of cars ive ridden in with HID projectors. Now if you put in farenheights or silverstars, the halogen versions might even be brighter than the HID's.

i would also admit that the output of the stock headlights is pretty freaking terrible, and they look like they belong on a 1985 volvo.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:19 PM
Carcass
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

C5 Headlights - How good are they?

They aren't.

I got a $70.00 set of HID's from JW Motoring,and,IF ADJUSTED PROPERLY,they are about 3 times as bright as stock,and ,contrary to popular belief,they won't blind oncoming drivers.

They also keep the stock "look"-nothing really changes looks-wise,except the headlights actually let you see when you're driving at night,something halogen bulbs just don't do.
I tried Ultrastars for about 6 months before going with the HID's,and,while they are better than stock bulbs,the HID's are still at LEAST twice as bright.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I have tried them all, HID's, HIR's, Sylvainia's Ultras and have found what I have been missing, They are the ACA Projectors, They add a lot of light and really update the looks of the car.
Mr.Bill

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM
ChromeC5
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The stock lights are great! That is, if you like guessing what is on the road ahead of you.

Switching over to these soon. But they won't be for anyone wanting to keep the stock look.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...velopment.html

If you want better lights with the stock look, I suggest:

ACA's as shown above
TheRadioFlyer Light Cannons (similar to ACA's but allow for better adjustment I have heard)
JWMotoring (sp?) Sun Guns. Also a very nice option.

Last edited by ChromeC5; 02-09-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 PM
str8fan
Intermediate

im sold on the ACA HID projectors where do I get them and about how much?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

ACA is out of business isn't it?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
ACA is out of business isn't it?
I believe someone else took over the sale of them. You can still get them and they say ACA on them.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:40 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I believe someone else took over the sale of them. You can still get them and they say ACA on them.
where?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
where?
Last I checked JWMotoring.com was selling them I believe.
http://shop.jwmotoring.com/product.s...8&categoryId=4

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Headlights - How good are they?

Old 02-10-2011, 01:42 AM
JuicedZ
Racer

love my aca lights
Old 02-10-2011, 07:56 AM
memmer
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I solved the lighting problem I don't drive at night. LOL
Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM
mfile2000
Pro

These questions crack me up.....basically is new better than old? New is almost always better than old, however, my old C5 headlights light up the road just fine for me and I do plenty of night driving, just as they did for people when they first came out. If you want better headlights, get a C6.

Quick Reply: C5 Headlights - How good are they?