Sponsored by:

Missing my vert

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 11:30 PM
SpanishRice
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missing my vert

Hello All, been reading and enjoying the forum as a new member. A little about me and my vert, I was deployed ALL last year to Iraq , came back for R&R in May and within five hours on the ground the Mrs. and I found and bought our first vette . I searched the web and was initially going to pick up a light blue 98 coupe with 120,000 miles but the dealer showed us the 02 vert with 60k. Well needless to say we fell in love with it and drove it home that night ! We drove it around for the next two weeks until it was time for me to return to Iraq to finish the rest of my 1 year tour (both my wife and her waited patiently for my return). I took about a million pictures of both my girls to hold me over until I returned, (that was a seriously LONG wait) . I got home the night before new years and of course we had snow on the ground here , so all I could do after I had spent the obligitory time with the wife and family, was sneak a quick few minutes in the garage admiring my pride and joy. As i mentioned before shes a Convertible, 2002 Electron Blue with a black top, black interior and borla exhaust. Well, anyways, since then its been nothing but snow here, we finally got a nice sunny day so we took her out, but the weather decided to get ugly and we drove her home in sleat, and snow, then the ice hit. So she was parked in the garage dirty with no way to clean her up until the weather cleared up. (she was PISSED about that) when the next sunny day hit, we rolled out again to go out on a fancy date, but since Saphire was still dirty, I wanted to wash her up, but didn't have enough time to do it by hand. (Here's where I figure most of you will scream NOOOO!!!), We decided to take her through a carwash, I was concerned that she would bottom out on the guide rail, but it turns out that wasn't a problem (I forgot to turn off the radio, and bent the antenna , I just replaced the mast with the help of this forum so thanks for that guys. We made it through the wash without another problem UNTIL we hit the air dryer, the back window popped from the back of the top and scared the crap out of us with all the wind and noise. We pulled out of the stall and checked out the damage, sure enough the window couldn't be reinstalled right there. Even worse, the back bumper received long up and down scratches that went past paint and primer to the body from the car wash rotaters. I was so upset I almost sat down and cried right there, well since the window was out, and we didn't want to do anymore damage to the top, we had to put the top down and had to drive home on the freeway in freezing 34 degree wind. The wife was upset because she just had her hair done, was now cold, and we had to go back home and use the other car to go out (which was filthy too). So the date went well after that, but I was so upset about my bonehead move that we really didn't have a good time. A few days ago, I saw one of the guys on this site had posted a great article on how he glued his glass back in place, I followed his lead, ordered the glue, and sure enough it works like a charm!!! As for the scratches in the paint, well right now she's in the shop getting the scratches repaired, and I'm sitting at home staring at pictures of her again, waiting for her to return home this time. They say if you don't learn from your mistakes you're bound to repeat them, well, I learned my lesson, she's NEVER EVER EVER EVER going through a car wash ever again. Its going to be light pressure water hoses and cloth baby diapers for as long as I own her, (which won't be until the day one of my kids inherits her).

Thanks for listening to me rant everyone, here's some pictures to show her off.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:10 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

As you know now...car washes are a no-no.

Thanks for your service...
Old 03-12-2011, 07:05 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I am glad that your misfortune was in a car wash and not while deployed. While it hurts to have your Vert scarred, the type of damage you have is easily repairable. As you have found their are many DIYs available through this forum and the members of the C5 family.

Enjoy your Vert ! I'm glad you learned your lesson about car washes.

Thanks for your service
Old 03-12-2011, 07:49 AM
avettelovertu
Burning Brakes

That is one beautiful car! We learn by mistakes, no one was hurt, and cars can be repaired! Thank-you for your service to our country, and ENJOY that pretty C5!
Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 916 Likes on 452 Posts

For the bone head move.

For your service.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:52 AM
C5Wolfe
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for your service for our country! Your vette is beautiful! I'm not a "Vert" fan but yours makes me have second thoughts. Maybe its the color but I really like your car.
Dave
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also like to thank you for your service to our great country
Old 03-12-2011, 09:41 AM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Thank you for your service!!!! Those of us who are at home enjoying the freedoms you help defend and protect will always be in your debt and that of all of our service men and women placed in harms way.

Glad it wasn't a worse outcome regarding the car wash. I cringe when I'm at a car wash with one of my other cars and see a vette rolling in.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:39 AM
SpanishRice
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone for the kind words of encouragement! I wear my uniform with pride everyday, and will until Uncle Sam tells me its time to leave the service. Of course today is a beautiful sunny day, and I'm walking around outside working on the yard, So hopefully the weather stays this way after my girl comes back home, and we can cruise with the top down. And if anyone ever asks me if I plan to take my tempermental little girl through a carwash again my reply will be NEVAAAARRRRR!!!!
Old 03-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Beautiful car - sorry about all the damage that was done. I've never taken my car through an automatic car wash, but do use one of the self serve types and have never had any problems with it.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
Marine One
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome home from the sandbox, brother.

Nothing like another Vet with a Vette!

Enjoy the car, and most of all, your family.

You, Sir, have earned it!

It is you, and people like you, who make this country great. Thank you for your patriotism, courage and dedication.

Semper Fidelis.

Last edited by Marine One; 03-12-2011 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:13 AM
la vett girl
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Should have gone thru with the top down.
Thank you.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM
MONTVALEGOLF
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Default favorite color

Love your car and thanks for your service. One of the best Blue's ever produced.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:21 AM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Beautiful Vette!!

Get notified of new replies

To Missing my vert

Quick Reply: Missing my vert