Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got 6 fix it tickets today (technically 7). im a bit pissed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about your tickets. Due to economic troubles, the cops especially State troopers are going to write up as much as they can find, no doubt from pressure from their superiors to get the numbers up. I have found through my own personal experience that the more respectful and humble you are from the start the better the outcome will be. I always agree with them and admit fault and more than half the time (as long as you didn't do something really wrong) they will be merciful and let you off with a warning. It sounds like you got a real hard a$$ though, anyway good luck with the fixes and drive safe!
Old 05-02-2011, 10:50 AM
Blue Time
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I came down 43 Sunday evening, I had a Manitowoc sheriff follow me for a spell & and had State boy stare me down. My exhaust is just as loud as yours. I see you live by the youth center. Being from a small town you have to stay under the radar (people talk- I was inline at the Piggly Wiggly two guys were talking about a loud corvette (aka -my car)). Driving around Plymouth I tend short shift ( keep the rpms down to keep her quiet) I'm sure we'll meet at some point. Your car looks good in the video & sounds even better. If I get pulled over, the first thing I'll say is I think your looking for a purple 98.(just kidding)
Old 05-02-2011, 10:54 AM
rtpassini
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

HAHA! small world! even though im younger, most of the cops around here know me because of the different toys i have had over the years. I try to fly under the radar

i have also gone through elkhart with the vette and no issues. officer neeme is worse than any state trooper!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 11:02 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Hi/Tek/Vette
Full Faith and Credit ( Interstate Commerce )

the vehicle needs to conform to the laws of the State it is Registered in
While the vehicle legally has to conform to the laws of the state in which it is registered, it also has to conform to the laws of the state it is being operated in. Maryland, for example, has its apehangers law (grips no more than 15" above the seat) worded to apply to all motorcycles, no matter where they are registered.

While another state can't tell you that you can't have _____ installed on your car, they can say that you can't operate your car within their borders with that equipment installed. Sometimes they word the laws to apply only to vehicles registered in the state, and other times to apply to all vehicles operated within the state.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:03 AM
FLK-JR
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jay_Rich
wow what did you do to **** him off! Maybe he is a mustang owner :p

Jay

Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Tint laws are different for every state. My suburban was fine in OK but in VA I got tickets. Never took the tint off just paid the fine.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:11 PM
davidwj
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Local LEO=AAA with a gun and a badge
Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM
MaximumHP
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Par for the course for a Wisconsin State Trooper, met my fair share too...
Old 05-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Hi/Tek/Vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Scissors
While the vehicle legally has to conform to the laws of the state in which it is registered, it also has to conform to the laws of the state it is being operated in. Maryland, for example, has its apehangers law (grips no more than 15" above the seat) worded to apply to all motorcycles, no matter where they are registered.

While another state can't tell you that you can't have _____ installed on your car, they can say that you can't operate your car within their borders with that equipment installed. Sometimes they word the laws to apply only to vehicles registered in the state, and other times to apply to all vehicles operated within the state.

not so ..

http://library.findlaw.com/2000/Feb/1/129013.html

see You in Court

Last edited by Hi/Tek/Vette; 05-02-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Hi/Tek/Vette
Racer

and by that,

I mean a Court of Record
Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Hi/Tek/Vette
That has absolutely nothing to do with laws concerning the operation of vehicles on another state's public roads.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

In Wisconsin? Come on down here, Florida...the cops have better things to do like chase crime...drugs, murder and robbery.

I've had "Limo" tint on two Vettes for the last eight years...never been stopped and drive 50 miles a day, 7 days a week.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

man what a bad day
Old 05-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Cardinal Flyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by MawneeC5
Glad he set you straight. You were going down a dark path......

Now that we got Osama, let's hope our esteemed WI Highway Patrol can focus even more effort on eradicating you Tint Criminals!!

P.S. Really, can't believe he took time off from giving speeding tickets out to Minnesotans.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:23 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by sfc rick
I start by handing them my Concealed carry permit...then when they ask me where it's at, I tell them. Then it's all rosy after that.
yup, me too. you're a fool in florida if you don;t! oh, and i keep BOTH hands on the steering wheel before and after handing over the permit. i addition during the time he is taking to run my plate, i have all my documents out and on the dash or console so there are no actions or movements i could make that couldn't be seen in their entirety.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Rob04C5LM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find myself conflicted. I think you got beat-up on unnecessarily on the one hand and, on the other, from my personal experience, you either pissed this guy off or his wife/girlfriend/dog died that day.

Most cops I've run into have been super cool (even one writing a ticket for 85 when I was doing 120 so that I could do traffic school to keep my insurance record clean) and I've always been VERY respectful. Remember: windows down, cabin lights on, hands on the wheel, yes/no sir, don't admit anything but don't argue (fight in court, not on the roadside), be as polite as you can be genuinely, and (if you can do it genuinely) make it clear that you support law enforcement and thank the officer for their service - they have a dangerous job.

I would fight this in court. If you can go in demonstrating correction they are likely to reduce the severity of the penalties and see that this was overkill on the cop's part. The worst thing that happens is that you've wasted part of a day and they maintain the fine.

Your bigger frustration is that you'll probably see this cop again so once you correct, if you go back to your mods, he'll REALLY have a bug up his @$$ with you. Here in a densely populated metro area, we get lost in the sea and don't really have to worry about the same LEO hitting us twice. I've got quick fix-it solutions for anything I do that doesn't meet the letter of the law so that I can show proof of correction and then go back to how I want my car to look (zip-tie front plates, replacement lenses from a friendly C5 owner for the cost of a 6-pack, and a very cool custom shop that will R/I tint any time I get caught if they can't have a "friendly LEO" sign off that the tint is legal).

For those of you conspiracy theorists that think cops have quotas or are trying to generate revenue to save their jobs:
I've had a good number of friends over the years who are cops, they are emphatic that they DO NOT have quotas, at least not explicitly. They like to be able to write citations to demonstrate to their superiors that they are keeping busy and not spending all their time at Starbucks. In nearly-bankrupt CA, they are still happy to write a $20 fix-it for a license plate when you're doing 75 and give you a verbal for the speed (happened to my wife three months ago). We intentionally keep plates off of our cars to give them a fix-it to write rather than speed, it has paid off several times.

Good luck with this man, I hope it works out not to be very expensive!
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

As far as window tint goes this is one case where skin cancer is your friend. If you've had any cancerous growths removed from your hands, arms or face you can get a letter from your Dr. stating tinted windows may prevent further cancer. Any cop worth his salt in reasoning should understand. That is the main reason Florida allows tinting...it is the land of incessant cancer-causing UV radiation....go for it even if you don't have cancer yet.

Quick Reply: got 6 fix it tickets today (technically 7). im a bit pissed