Browse all: Brake How-Tos
Print Wikipost

C5 Parking Brake / Ebrake fix / adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

Did you clean and lube the assembly? The old grease dries up and should be removed before new grease is applied, Mobil 1 grease won't dry up. Here's a link to make two simple tools for removing the rear rotor, https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...val-tools.html.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:01 PM
ZeroToSixty
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Some pictures from the 1st page that give perspective
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-18-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 10:01 AM
1GeorgieBoy
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroToSixty
My Parking / Emergency brake was only grabbing with the brake in the full upright position. Then one day it would not work at all.

(Thanks to Chicago1 for supplying the detailed instructions from a former post)

The shop that did the state inspection stated the only way to fix it was to replace the whole brake handle unit at 246.00 for the part and 2 hours labor at 90.00 an hour. (They were WRONG).

I was advised that the part number for the unit is 10323590 and given the following response.

10323590, the part number you requested has been discontinued and is no longer available from GM. You maybe able to locate one from an aftermarket source, or salvage yard.

10323579 is a valid GM part number and is listed as a lever.

I listed the part number just in case others actually have to replace it............but I find it unlikely.

You have to pull the wheel, remove the caliper

and bracket assy and then the rotor.

Adjust the shoes so there a very slight drag on the drum when you reinstall it. WARNING! If you get the drum too tight, you will NOT get it off again until the brake shoes wear down further!:

Adjustor wheel,........

Park Brake Adjustment
Tools Required
J 21177-A Drum to Brake Shoe Clearance Gauge

Important
Park brake adjustment is not necessary after replacing the park brake lever or park brake cables. The park brake cables are tensioned automatically by cycling the park brake lever three times.

Important
Do not operate the park brake lever with the rear disc brake rotor removed.

Place the inside measurement contacts of the J 21177-A at the widest point of the drum portion of the brake rotor (1).
Tighten the set screw on the tool in order to ensure the proper measurement when removing the tool from the drum.

Position the outside measurement contacts of the J 21177-A over the park brake shoe (1) at the widest point.

Important
If the gap between the adjuster nut and the adjuster screw exceeds 5 mm (0.25 in) during the adjustment procedure, the park brake shoe must be replaced.

Adjust the park brake shoe-to-drum clearance by rotating the adjustment nut on the park brake actuator. Specification
0.38 mm (0.015 in)

Install the rear brake rotors. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear in Disc Brakes.
Install the rear tire and wheel assemblies.
Apply and release the park brake lever three times .
Apply the park brake lever. Inspect the rotation of the rear wheels:
The wheels should not rotate forward.
The wheels should drag or not rotate rearward.
If the rear tire and wheel assemblies rotate forward or do not exhibit drag rearward, repeat the adjustment procedure.
Release the parking lever. Verify that the wheels rotate freely
Lower the vehicle

Now that the Emergency Brake has been adjusted........ test for tension (grab of the brakes shoes on the rotor). If there is no tension then the issue may just be the following problem in the brake handle assembly.

Take out the passenger seat and the rear portion of the center console to expose the Emergency Brake handle assembly.

Lubricate all areas near the lever and check for correct movement of the brake lever and rachet system...........mine was rusty and working intermittantly.

Reassemble and test,...........mine will now lock up the rear tires with a medium tug. I can now pass inspection and drift with confidence.......the Emergency Brake WORKS !
excellent instructions and pics. It appears that my push button rod may be bent and is not making contact with the locking/hold system? any pics/diagram of the button and rod?
Thanks,
Old 12-20-2018, 10:30 AM
freddyvette
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I feel like this deserves a sticky
Old 12-20-2018, 12:04 PM
frodo84
Uneducated overachiever
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Old 12-20-2018, 08:38 PM
bassfisher
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by freddyvette
I feel like this deserves a sticky
Agree.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:35 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Adjusting the slack in the cable can be done by rolling backward and pumping the e brake handle 5 or 6 times, this is designed in to adjust only the cable slack.
Copied from an earlier post. Question: When pumping the e brake handle; is the release button pressed in or do you pull it up in the ratcheting motion with the button released?? I need to do this.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Gxpz06
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by moserbe
Adjusting the slack in the cable can be done by rolling backward and pumping the e brake handle 5 or 6 times, this is designed in to adjust only the cable slack.
Copied from an earlier post. Question: When pumping the e brake handle; is the release button pressed in or do you pull it up in the ratcheting motion with the button released?? I need to do this.
thats the biggest BS GM came up with the hide a silly issue ... ask me how I know
Old 05-04-2020, 04:21 PM
Argentimage
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Only problem is all the pics disappeared as they were hosted off site

Quick Reply: C5 Parking Brake / Ebrake fix / adjustment