Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which is Best, C5 or C6

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 AM
dewaynemichael
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 02 c5 and i get alot of looks from the c6 owners,mine ride great and handles the corners like no other,go c5
Old 08-30-2011, 03:27 AM
BLKWDWZ06
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

c5 if price is your objection otherwise the c6 is an evolution of a c5, which is just taking an awesome platform and building on it.
The following users liked this post:
steady_p (08-01-2019)
Old 08-30-2011, 05:41 AM
camburger
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Well I own a Torch Red 97...presumably the least worthy of the C5's since it was the first year of C5 production...however I personally think it is MAGNIFICENT....
Harold97 (10-19-2020)
Old 08-30-2011, 08:42 AM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Thank you everyone for your comments and input.

Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 11:17 AM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 327 Likes on 95 Posts

For those who think C6's have no problems you are crazy! I can't tell you how many times I have shaken my head at the many, many common issues I have found and worked on with the C6.

Here is a quick list off the top of my head of common problems found in the C6...

Slave cylinders- $1k+ to fix
Clutch pressure plates- $1k+ to fix
Window regulators- $500+ to fix
Headlight bulb- $300 from the dealer
Door release switches
Tires due to poor factory alignments
Removable top creaks
Belt squeals
Harmonic balancer wobble
Differentials that grenade ('05)
Battery failures (must have shifter in reverse when off)
Rear compartment lights don't come on (latch)
Service active handling (steering wheel pos sensor)
Service charging system (harmonic balancer and or alternator)
Fuel door release cable/actuator (spring breaks inside)
Key Fobs not detected

Pet Peves about the C6 that I have...

Keyless entry and ignition... half the time the door doesn't open the first time or engine doesn't start/shut off the first time.

Ugly rear bumper that flexes and shakes over bumps.

Dash fades and discolors with normal cleaners.

Expensive parts... can never get the part you need, its always part of a more expensive part...ie Window regulator cable frayed...cant get cable must order regulator with door module for $500.

Knowing that if I buy a stick shift I need to change the clutch fluid with every oil change or I risk losing my clutch.

Less of a value compared to C5... you can find 05, 06 and 07's in the upper $20k range now. 97's didn't drop that low as quick. A mint 04 Corvette is worth the same or more than a mint 05 Corvette with similar miles.

The only way I would get into a C6 is if it were a C6 Z06 or ZR1.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:30 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Kind of off the subject but why not keep the 64? It's a C2 and they are the ultimate Corvette. As for C5 vs. C6 I think it depends on which body style you like better. You can get a really nice C5 for under $20k while a C6 will cost you $5k+ more. Good luck with your decision
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by n8dogg
For those who think C6's have no problems you are crazy! I can't tell you how many times I have shaken my head at the many, many common issues I have found and worked on with the C6.

Here is a quick list off the top of my head of common problems found in the C6...

Slave cylinders- $1k+ to fix
Clutch pressure plates- $1k+ to fix
Window regulators- $500+ to fix
Headlight bulb- $300 from the dealer
Door release switches
Tires due to poor factory alignments
Removable top creaks
Belt squeals
Harmonic balancer wobble
Differentials that grenade ('05)
Battery failures (must have shifter in reverse when off)
Rear compartment lights don't come on (latch)
Service active handling (steering wheel pos sensor)
Service charging system (harmonic balancer and or alternator)
Fuel door release cable/actuator (spring breaks inside)
Key Fobs not detected

Pet Peves about the C6 that I have...

Keyless entry and ignition... half the time the door doesn't open the first time or engine doesn't start/shut off the first time.

Ugly rear bumper that flexes and shakes over bumps.

Dash fades and discolors with normal cleaners.

Expensive parts... can never get the part you need, its always part of a more expensive part...ie Window regulator cable frayed...cant get cable must order regulator with door module for $500.

Knowing that if I buy a stick shift I need to change the clutch fluid with every oil change or I risk losing my clutch.

Less of a value compared to C5... you can find 05, 06 and 07's in the upper $20k range now. 97's didn't drop that low as quick. A mint 04 Corvette is worth the same or more than a mint 05 Corvette with similar miles.

The only way I would get into a C6 is if it were a C6 Z06 or ZR1.
In my experience I have found none of these vettes are built worth a ****. They're pretty much what I always thought they were, a rich man's toy or someone who enjoys working on them all the time. But they're not for someone who expects quality, I do know that.

Fire away boys, prove me wrong.
speedracer2 (10-05-2020)
Old 08-30-2011, 12:15 PM
bobbulis
Intermediate

Geez....that's quite the list, and something to consider Are all these problems relative to the C6 only? Does an 04 C5 have its own list of problems?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by bobbulis
Geez....that's quite the list, and something to consider Are all these problems relative to the C6 only? Does an 04 C5 have its own list of problems?

Thanks,
Bob
They all have issues. some people don't have any issues but they are few or those who just don't drive them much. From my limited experience with vettes (4 years) it's not a matter if you will have issues, it's a matter of when you will have issues. It's a roll of the dice.

And the problem with all the elctronic gadgets is one simple issue from a wire can cause all sorts of other stuff to happen so unless you're experienced it's a nightmare to find out the cause. You can't even go with a simple code, like Oh it's that code so if I fix that it will solve the problem. it doesn't work that way.

My experience has been with other cars like roadrunners, camaros, other classic cars and related muscle type cars.

(These are my opinons and taken from personal experience and the experiences of people I know.) See my join date here? It was because I was looking for a fix to an issue on my C4 that I found this place.

But if you don't mind the issues and can wrench yourself, they are wonderful cars, all of them! You won't find a more fun car to drive I guarantee that.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 08-30-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:35 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

This doesn't help, but resto the '64

My choice was resto a '77, and I chose the C5 instead....but a '64

Good Luck
Old 08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My next car will be a C6, someday, an 08+, someday.

I bought my 2001 in Feb of 2009 with 32,505 and traded it in for $12,500 with almost 70,000 miles on it. Almost 40,000 flawless miles in 2 years and 3 months and I was not easy on the car at all.

With a 15 month old and another one on the way in December, I'll have some years to save up for my next Vette as for now I'm Vette-less.

I had the C5 and it was awesome, the most awesome machine I've ever had but I'm not going back to that car again. I'll be in a C6 at least.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:45 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bobbulis

Thanks,
Bob
The 04 C5 does not have a separate list if problems VS anyothet year... Kind of. In late 03 GM designed a slightly different fuel tank set-up that has been found to leak in some 03/04 models. Fortunately GM has created a campaign where they will fix this concern within 10 years of the original purchase date regardless of owner.

Other than that an 03-04 is your best bet for a C5 in term of quality. I could make a list of common issues but I assure you the cars are better built than C6's. If only they came out with the LS3 earlier.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:43 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsos30
The C6 has more plastic on it. I've also read an article where GM admitted the C6 is a very cheaply built car. They also say in the same article that the C5 is the best Vette they've ever made. I personally love the looks of the C6 but after reading about GM saying themselves that the C6 is cheaply built, I'll keep my C5. I'll try and find that article again and post it.

Yup, I would like to read that "article". At any rate, I traded an '02 C5Z for a '10 GrandSport. The GS is a better Car in every way.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
In my experience I have found none of these vettes are built worth a ****. They're pretty much what I always thought they were, a rich man's toy or someone who enjoys working on them all the time. But they're not for someone who expects quality, I do know that.

Fire away boys, prove me wrong.
I agree. They are built to go fast for a year or two and move on. Let someone else buy your problems and go get another one. I hate the fact that I have to treat it like it's made from gold plated eggshells or I'll lose my azz in repairs. NOT a durable car.
speedracer2 (10-05-2020)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:38 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 89L98
Yup, I would like to read that "article". At any rate, I traded an '02 C5Z for a '10 GrandSport. The GS is a better Car in every way.
If I spent $50K, $60, or maybe even $70k on a GS I sure as hell would talk my self into saying it's a better car in every way too!

I have to disagree tho. There are many things about it that are improved over the C5 but in some aspects they cut some corners short. A big difference between a NEW C6 owner and a C5 owner is:
1.) New Car Warranty
2.) You got the ca$h. Problems aren't as big of a deal for you VS the majority of current C5 owners who can't afford a new C6 .
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Beating the horse here a bit.....but from personal bias, I believe the C5 is the way to go. The syle and lines of the C5 are classic as compared to the C6. Sure, each year had issues, but when I roll down the road and see a C6 coming at me, I wave.....but then I smile because I know my C5 is the better looking car.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:04 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Originally Posted by c5BlackBeauty
Beating the horse here a bit.....but from personal bias, I believe the C5 is the way to go. The syle and lines of the C5 are classic as compared to the C6. Sure, each year had issues, but when I roll down the road and see a C6 coming at me, I wave.....but then I smile because I know my C5 is the better looking car.
The c5 is a much better looking car in every way but does that make it better? The c6 has 430 hp the c5 345 does that make the c6 better? Only you can answer this question. Just remember the c7 will be out soon and the c5 will be 2 gens old thats not a bad thing just saying.

I will say this I had a c5 for 7 years and a c6 for 1 year and I enjoyed them both the same. My point is you can be happy with either car

Get notified of new replies

To Which is Best, C5 or C6

Old 08-30-2011, 05:11 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

my personal opinion is if you can afford a C6, then you could also afford an 04 C5 (which would be my choice personally and not just because i own one), it all comes down to what it is you like. if you like the styling of the C6, then the standard advice of buy as new with as low mileage as you can will certainly apply. i have to admit that the people i have spoken to with C6s seem to love them. they certainly offer a wider array of OEM features (that many of us with C5s have modded our cars to replicate). i just can't get over the styling which just doesn't appeal to me at all. it hasn't since the 05 came out and it still doesn't, and i am a corvette guy having owned at least one most of my adult life since 1964. that said, it still comes down to what you can afford and what actual appeals to you.

Last edited by srs244; 08-31-2011 at 05:18 PM.
JimHarris4 (10-09-2020)
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by n8dogg
If I spent $50K, $60, or maybe even $70k on a GS I sure as hell would talk my self into saying it's a better car in every way too!

I have to disagree tho. There are many things about it that are improved over the C5 but in some aspects they cut some corners short. A big difference between a NEW C6 owner and a C5 owner is:
1.) New Car Warranty
2.) You got the ca$h. Problems aren't as big of a deal for you VS the majority of current C5 owners who can't afford a new C6 .

30K plus the Z got me a '10 GrandSport with NPP exhaust, two tops, 3LT, two tone interior/seats. chrome wheels, six speed, better interior. And, the updated C6 look. The C5 was a great generation. But, the nineties technology/look were just too dated for me.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:46 PM
n8dogg
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 89L98
30K plus the Z got me a '10 GrandSport with NPP exhaust, two tops, 3LT, two tone interior/seats. chrome wheels, six speed, better interior. And, the updated C6 look. The C5 was a great generation. But, the nineties technology/look were just too dated for me.
It sounds like you got a smoking good deal on your GS. Your reply makes me chuckle though. The C5 is outdated 90's look?

Does a mid 90's Viper look outdated? NO! Neither does the C5 Corvette. They are both original looking, sexy and will not be outdated for decades.

As long as you are happy than that's all that matters. Personally I would have kept the $30k, put $10K into the C5Z and have a car that looks better and is faster than your GS and have $20k left over.

Quick Reply: Which is Best, C5 or C6