Easy Drag Race Question A4

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:54 AM
Sponge Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by rebelheart
I never go though the water nor do any burnout,just a short chirp before I stage.Power braking over 1000 rpm's has always hurt my ET.I think the computer senseses engine load with no rpm or speed gain and starts to retard timing.I dont fool with my tire pressures either,but I do use comp mode.
Yea and what kind of results do you see using your technique?
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sponge Vette
Yea and what kind of results do you see using your technique?
Well we had some cooler temps last wed (low 80's) and I ran my best ET yet at 12.77,not bad for a basically stock 04 coupe.How bout you sport?
Old 10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jw what is the point of putting it in 3rd vs drive?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Vector
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Launch technique is learned - power braking to load the T/C is a good idea, if the track is well prepped you could go full throttle at the third yellow light. If the track isn't prep very well or you have power adders, you'll need to roll into the throttle off the line. Good Luck and keep practicing.

Never mind on gear shifter position - I was bitch slapped!

Last edited by Vector; 10-20-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:59 PM
Dixiecrat
Pro

Just stomp the beast and hang on, and dont forget your blood preasure pills before you leave home !
Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM
paint it black vette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dixiecrat
Just stomp the beast and hang on, and dont forget your blood preasure pills before you leave home !
romp and stomp i was told to hold on when running my 382 with a 100 shot nitrous turned on in 1st gear at 4200rpm . launched at 1800rpm the stall flashed at 3400rpm and juice kicked in at about 15 to 20 ft out off the hole can you say 1.344 60ft time
Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
George Hubert
Racer

Default agree

Originally Posted by 209TIME!!!
put it in 3rd take it up to about 1500rpm and go for it!
Old 10-19-2011, 10:01 PM
vettestream
Racer

I always leave mine in "D" and launch off idle after a quick clean of the tires.... I tried "3" a couple times and the results were worse, however I did not pre-load the T/C

anyway with bolt ons and leaving it in "D" the car ran 12.4 @ 113mph (street tires, lowered tire pressure and comp mode one)
Old 10-20-2011, 12:26 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Let me be completely honest and frank. Anyone telling you there is a difference in gear has no clue what they are talking about. None. I don't care if they've ran the car eleventy billion times, they are wrong. Any stories of different times due to one or the other is just random chance. Tires, rear end ratio, etc all matter nada. Period. End of story.

There is no difference between "3" or "D" in a drag race, and here's why.

It's all electronicaly controlled. For Wide Open Throttle (and who isn't going WOT for drag racing), the combination is very simple. Part throttle gets a little more complicated, because the table is driven by throttle position.

But WOT shift points are easy. It shifts gears at the mph set in the table and at the RPM set in the WOT table. Some may have heard about bouncing off the rev limiter for applications where a rear end ratio has been changed without being tuned. What happens is you redline the engine without hitting the mph set in the table, so the transmission won't shift, and the engine cuts off. That's why you need to get a tune after a rear end swap so these tables get updated.

Back to why there's no difference. For the stock program, the WOT Shift RPM is set at 6000RPM for 1->2 and 5900RPM for 2->3 and 3->4. You have to reach that RPM before the transmission will shift AND you also have to be at the mph set in the WOT shift speed table. For a stock program:

1->2 46mph
2->3 93mph
3->4 255mph

That's right folks. Unless you are going over 255mph, the computer will never let the tranny shift down into 4th on a WOT blast. Never.

Even when tuned for different rear end ratio, a good tuner is going to go back into those tables and adjust the scaled number back to 255. It's there as a safeguard. 4th can't handle the high power, it's an overdrive. Even scaled for 4.10s from 2.73, that value drops to 170mph. None of us are trapping 170. So even if a bad tuner just left the scaled numbers, you're still safe.

Sorry to be harsh, but I hate when misinformation gets perpetuated. Old school thought for automatic transmissions don't apply anymore.

Last edited by nj02vette; 10-20-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:36 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robert miller
I love my 3:42 rear set up with the c6 z06 chg over. But with the 3:73 or 4:10 gears you will in the 1/4 mile for sure...
Not even with 4.10s will you go into 4th.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:38 AM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Let me be completely honest and frank. Anyone telling you there is a difference in gear has no clue what they are talking about. None. I don't care if they've ran the car eleventy billion times, they are wrong. Any stories of different times due to one or the other is just random chance. Tires, rear end ratio, etc all matter nada. Period. End of story.

It's all electronicaly controlled. For Wide Open Throttle (and who isn't going WOT for drag racing), the combination is very simple. Part throttle gets a little more complicated, because the table is driven by throttle position.

WOT shift points are easy. It shifts gears at the mph set in the table and at the RPM set in the WOT table. Some may have heard about bouncing off the rev limiter for applications where a rear end ratio has been changed without being tuned. What happens is you redline the engine without hitting the mph set in the table, so the transmission won't shift, and the engine cuts off. That's why you need to get a tune after a rear end swap so these tables get updated.

Back to why there's no difference. For the stock program, the WOT Shift RPM is set at 6000RPM for 1->2 and 5900RPM for 2->3 and 3->4. You have to reach that RPM before the transmission will shift AND you also have to be at the mph set in the WOT shift speed table. For a stock program:

1->2 46mph
2->3 93mph
3->4 255mph

That's right folks. Unless you are going over 255mph, the computer will never let the tranny shift down into 4th on a WOT blast. Never.

Sorry to be harsh, but I hate when misinformation gets perpetuated. Old school thought for automatic transmissions don't apply anymore.
Nice outline man!
Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
m6 c5
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But WOT shift points are easy. It shifts gears at the mph set in the table and at the RPM set in the WOT table. Some may have heard about bouncing off the rev limiter for applications where a rear end ratio has been changed without being tuned. What happens is you redline the engine without hitting the mph set in the table, so the transmission won't shift, and the engine cuts off. That's why you need to get a tune after a rear end swap so these tables get updated.

1->2 46mph
2->3 93mph
3->4 255mph

Even when tuned for different rear end ratio, a good tuner is going to go back into those tables and adjust the scaled number back to 255. It's there as a safeguard. 4th can't handle the high power, it's an overdrive. Even scaled for 4.10s from 2.73, that value drops to 170mph. None of us are trapping 170. So even if a bad tuner just left the scaled numbers, you're still safe.

Now that is what I have always thought and told my friends who turn O/D off in their car when they want to race but no one believed me, plus I didnt have any real knowledge of it.
Good info
Old 10-20-2011, 12:01 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Keep in mind I am at 5000 feet in the summer heat of 90 plus.
I run a 13.8 and 103 I think it was.
What's the DA we are usually in thw 8k range I feel your pain about elevation.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:30 PM
ToplessTexan
Safety Car

Cruise-In II Veteran

[snip]

Well, that's not quite correct. Your analysis is valid only if you hold WOT. As I said before, if you have to lift (and now not at WOT) at the top end you can shift to 4 if the shift lever is in D, not what you want to happen. This will not happen if it's in 3. That's actually the only difference between D and 3.

Not sure how I ran across this old thread...
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/foru...s-or-more.html

Quick Reply: Easy Drag Race Question A4