Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 521 Likes on 318 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

Default Current economy realities !

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Tom,

I have both your radiator and your high capacity fans and love them both. But in this economy with $$$ being very tight and if I HAD to have a new radiator, I would be going with a less $$$ intensive solution. No offense to you, just a fact of life. I know the economy has had a major inpact on my business and the $$$$ that I have to spend. I suspect your business as well has seen some pinch though perhaps not as much as have others.
This is absolute truth for today's economy. But Dewitt's products and the competition is very much like diamonds. You can buy quarts or man made substitutes, but in the end you get what you pay for. I put a Dewitt radiator in my 79 in 1998 and it's always been a solid unit. And I don't think changing a radiator every three years or buy one a it leaks on the first day you have it ! Who you gonna contact then, Beijing ? Dewitts are simply American made and they last forever. There's no price on Craftsmanship.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM
ZO6ME
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
This is absolute truth for today's economy. But Dewitt's products and the competition is very much like diamonds. You can buy quarts or man made substitutes, but in the end you get what you pay for. I put a Dewitt radiator in my 79 in 1998 and it's always been a solid unit. And I don't think changing a radiator every three years or buy one a it leaks on the first day you have it ! Who you gonna contact then, Beijing ? Dewitts are simply American made and they last forever. There's no price on Craftsmanship.
Am I missing something, did someone buy the "cheaper" radiator and have a leak day 1? Who says the other radiator lasts for only 3 years? When did Chicago become Beijing?
We're not talking about paying 15% more for "American Made" here. Price difference is huge. I'd feel better about the price difference if the Dewitt's had a diamond on it.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:09 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6ME
Am I missing something, did someone buy the "cheaper" radiator and have a leak day 1? Who says the other radiator lasts for only 3 years? When did Chicago become Beijing?
We're not talking about paying 15% more for "American Made" here. Price difference is huge. I'd feel better about the price difference if the Dewitt's had a diamond on it.

PERFECT ending lol

Very good statement as well
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
why spend triple for one of the only made fully aluminum radiators made. It's almost like a monopoly.
Not quite. We have many competitors with similar prices to ours. Ron Davis, Be-Cool, and LG motorsports all sell a quality C5 radiator for $500-600. Our base model is $545, triple $220 is actually $660. These are premium products, made in usa and the ebay unit is not our competition.

I have nothing against anyone that wants to buy the ebay unit. If that's your price range, then buy it. The point of this thread was to inform people what's involved in manufacturing a quality radiator. I'll bet very few even read the link.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
TriplBlk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Not quite. We have many competitors with similar prices to ours. Ron Davis, Be-Cool, and LG motorsports all sell a quality C5 radiator for $500-600. Our base model is $545, triple $220 is actually $660. These are premium products, made in usa and the ebay unit is not our competition.

I have nothing against anyone that wants to buy the ebay unit. If that's your price range, then buy it. The point of this thread was to inform people what's involved in manufacturing a quality radiator. I'll bet very few even read the link.
Just skimmed through the link and see the picture of the 150# man. The metal that crushed was considerably larger than the one that supported him. I don't know if you know this, but that's clearly a huge variable as a piece of metal will lose strength when it's length is increased. So the test is pretty inaccurate. I'll continue reading though.

Although your "base" is $545,that's manuals only, so the doesn't apply to all buyers. And the automatic C5's who want your radiator have to pay $620. Either way we'll see how the china ones turn out.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
DBL98COR
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the link and did alot of research on many different manufactures. I bought the Dewitts. All good so far.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZO6ME
Am I missing something? When did Chicago become Beijing?
Yes, you are. This ebay seller may or may not make these radiators. Just because they ship to you from Chicago says nothing about the origin of the manufacturer or where the cores come from.

You guys probably think I'm arguing this issue to gain more business but I'm not. I'm just trying to give you accurate facts and details based on years of experience in this field. My own experience in trying to use China as a source for cores was not good. The quality was poor and they would often fail within 2-3 years. If I was a C5 owner and was planning on moving the car down the road I might put a cheapo in there too (probably not) but I understand that logic.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:05 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by TriplBlk
The metal that crushed was considerably larger than the one that supported him.
Your right about the legth being different but we didn't move the blocks father out. I just grabbed a piece that was laying around. It could have been twelve feet long and made no difference, the effective area is the distance between the blocks.

Good luck with the other radiator, I hope it works out well for you

Last edited by Tom@Dewitt; 10-18-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:22 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Sorry, but I'm not spending $600 on a radiator, that's outrageous. I know plenty of people that run the "China garbage" you refer to with no issues, for many years...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
2slicks1vette
Pro

Oh by the way, the "China garbage" radiator that fits our cars is the Mishimoto MMRAD-UNI-25

Just go to google and search "mishimoto radiator review"

All raving reviews...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:40 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2slicks1vette
the "China garbage" you refer to ...
I never said that
Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 AM
EZ2BEVILC5
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Tom, how about offering a discount to forum members. I would definetly rather buy American made!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:51 AM
MawneeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

"Rabble rabble rabble please continue to pay your corvette tax!"

Old 10-19-2011, 09:42 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by EZ2BEVILC5
Tom, how about offering a discount to forum members. I would definetly rather buy American made!!!

I do have one sale a year (January) but I have to limit it to one.
We have dealers that sell our product and they offer sales on the CF. If we did that too we would be competing with our own dealer. So if you can wait a couple months it will be 10% and free shipping.

To those calling our pricing a Corvette Tax, I don't see how that applies here. A Corvette tax is when someone sells the same thing for a different car for less money. If you look at Be-cool all their Direct Fit aluminum radiators are priced the same (over $500) for Mustang, Chevelle, Mopar, Camero, etc. I picked becool because we don't make all the other models.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:50 AM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Tom, I can't believe all the negative in this tread, Don't let them get to you.
I know quality when I see it.
Thanks for your great product.
Mr.Bill
Old 10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
hattitude
Drifting

To those calling our pricing a Corvette Tax, I don't see how that applies here. A Corvette tax is when someone sells the same thing for a different car for less money.
That's the point people are missing here........

Some see an aluminum radiator and think they all are the same. They assume the expensive one is somehow price gouging, so people think it is across the board...

Sadly, there are examples of overpriced items all over. Some because of cheap labor rates overseas, some because of cheap components, many due to inferior design/workmanship and yes some due to the "corvette tax". It can make people jaded....

I have a DeWitts radiator and the C5 fan kit. I installed them myself and can vouch they are both quality pieces. Well worth the money in my opinion.

I can understand people having their income stretched to the limit. If they need, or want, to buy a cheaper, offshore radiator, that's their choice.

But to say it's the same as a DeWitts (or Ron Davis)... they are just fooling themselves

Last edited by hattitude; 10-19-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Big Duk
Pro

living in Arizona I dont skimp on cooling system parts. I would only have myself to blame for engine damage,towing,etc. Would I have saved a few bucks? Dont think so! There is no substitute for quality! BUY AMERICAN!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Cheaper aluminum radiators

Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by hattitude
But to say it's the same as a DeWitts (or Ron Davis)... they are just fooling themselves

if it cools and gets the job done the same, what does it matter where or who made it? that's the philosophy of todays buyer

just saying
Old 10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Thickraybans
Racer

There is an article I bookmarked a couple of years ago that I think is relevant to this discussion. Here is an excerpt from it.

Some economists have noticed manufacturing losses, but because the negative long-term ramifications have not become fully manifest in the economy, people are willing to turn a blind eye. Over the short term, companies have become richer through outsourcing, and consumers are happy because they have cheaper toys. But this will not last forever. At some point, manufacturing job losses will mean Americans will not be able to afford toys at all.

Here is a link to the article. http://www.thetrumpet.com/?page=article&id=1955
Old 10-19-2011, 11:41 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Thanatos
At some point, manufacturing job losses will mean Americans will not be able to afford toys at all.
I believe we are there now! When I hear the news people talk about getting unemployment down to normal I think "guess what" 10% unemployment is the new normal.

Quick Reply: Cheaper aluminum radiators