Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled???

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

heres the IIHS which is the insurance institute for highway safety website for you outlining what should be used in airbag replacement ... if it wasnt safe they would say not to do it.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/airbags.html

A new replacement airbag module from the original manufacturer of the vehicle should be used for vehicles that require an airbag replacement. However, when the option to purchase a new airbag module is not possible, the Institute recommends that care be taken to identify a salvaged airbag module that has been inspected and certified. Certification documentation should include the vehicle identification number of the vehicle from which the airbag was removed, the airbag salvage date, storage location, and shipment details. Buyers should check if recalls apply to the airbag by checking the NHTSA recall database.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakerking31
heres the IIHS which is the insurance institute for highway safety website for you outlining what should be used in airbag replacement ... if it wasnt safe they would say not to do it.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/airbags.html
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._sen_comm.html

Each state has its own guidlines, And use a different bill number... Do to so many fraud cases when it comes to airbag deployment insurance companies will brand it with a SALVAGE title for consumer safety... States are very strict about this and thats why Insurance companies dont take the risk...
Old 11-25-2011, 10:33 PM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dont want to turn this into a 100 post debate, We will just see what happens when the OP hears back from the insurance company... GL to him...
Old 11-25-2011, 10:42 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Breze84
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._sen_comm.html

Each state has its own guidlines, And use a different bill number... Do to so many fraud cases when it comes to airbag deployment insurance companies will brand it with a SALVAGE title for consumer safety... States are very strict about this and thats why Insurance companies dont take the risk...

Did you read this bill?

I will help you understand ... thanks for choosing a CA bill, a state I happen to live in, have a insurance license in, and work as an insurance adjuster in so this bill i know VERY well.

SUMMARY: Increases the penalty for a person who, after preparing a
written estimate to repair a deployed airbag, fails to properly repair
and restore that airbag to its original condition
This means if I write an estimate in CA and put to replace a deployed airbag and what I write does not restore the airbag to its original condition I can be fined. This means I have to be careful to ensure that I follow manufacturer recommendations to replace airbags on vehicles, but has nothing to do with them getting salvaged titles.

Lets look closer

6. Policy Issue : Should there be a requirement to repair or
replace a deployed airbag? Currently, there are no statutes
requiring that an auto repair shop replace a deployed air bag.
However, it is required for "salvaged vehicles" that the
restraint systems be in good working order which meets
applicable federal vehicle safety standards and conforms to the
manufacturer's specification for that vehicle. It is also
fraud and a violation of the Automotive Repair Act to state on
an invoice that a person or auto repair shop will repair or
replace an item in a vehicle and fail to do so. This bill
strengthens the existing penalties on that violation
specifically for airbags which are being replaced, but possibly
in the future some consideration should be given to assuring
that any vehicles entering an auto repair shop which has a
deployed airbag must leave that repair shop in good working
order similar to salvaged vehicles.
So it starts by asserting that if it is a salvaged vehicle there is a requirement that it has a working airbag system. This is part of the inspection you need to get the vehicle registered if it is salvaged. Now lets go to the last sentence. "future some consideration should be given to assuring that any vehicles entering an auto repair shop which has a deployed airbag must leave that repair shop in good working order similar to salvaged vehicles." So they want to make it so non salvaged vehicles leaving a shop where they had airbags replaced are inspected just like salvaged title vehicles ... but i thought you said they would automatically be salvaged titled if airbags deploy ... guess not.

Please point out to me where it says you either cant replace an airbag system or if you do its automatically a salvaged title as you claim.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the person pulled in front of you, he's 100% at fault and his insurance should pay for your car. Good luck making a decision; there's more than enough info. already posted to drown you with help deciding.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:25 AM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bakerking knows what he is talking about....as he should. I have done many salvage title cars. Actually in PA they are titled as reconstructed. The only additional brand is if it was a flood car. The restraint system, if deployed, has to be repaired and in working order but nothing on the title about it EVEN ON A RECONSTRUCTED TITLE.

I have also installed new air bags in customer cars. This has NEVER effected the title or registration.

Air bag deployment does not constitute a total loss. Shops have been repairing restraint systems ever since cars became equiped with them. Granted, it adds to the cost and the later systems have become more complex and expensive to repair. But the cost of repair vrs actual cash value are what determine a total loss and nothing else.

When you get into the subject of total losses and reconstructed/rebuilt/salvage title cars, there is a wealth of hearsay and misinformation out there. I have lost more than one sale because of she said he said.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:27 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I would be hoping its totaled, I would not want it back after that. You would always be thinking it is not perfect any more
Old 11-26-2011, 06:07 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jacks996
I would be hoping its totaled, I would not want it back after that. You would always be thinking it is not perfect any more

I'm sorry but this cracks me up about this place. Is this just a C5Corvette thing? Who says it was "perfect" in the first place? And who knows? The replacement could have more issues than this one. Not saying it's repairable. I already gave my opinion on that.

Guy on the Jag forum was fighting with the Ins Co not to total his creampuff S-Type. Here you guys can't wait to send em to the recycle bin. Coming from GM, I doubt these things were that "perfect" from the showroom.

No offence to the poster but this proves my theory. When one of these gets damaged it's a psycological thing that it's never the same. Sort of like the homecoming queen becoming a **** actress. Who would have her now?

Quick Reply: Totaled???