Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 AM
precious metal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTJim
Awesome! Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going to give it a try. My car is Mag Red so I'd do a gloss black roof. I keep my car covered as its kept outside so it's going to be interesting to see how well the Plasti Dip holds up. At least with this if it's does get messed up I can just peel it off.
Remember, all plastidip is matte color. If you want a gloss finish you need to finish with their Glossifier. Each coat will make it shinier. Also, plan on painting it at least twice. It usually takes some practice. Distance is KEY. About 6-8 inches off the surface and move at a even pace. Move your arm not your wrist. Move too slow and you get runs. Get too far off the surface and you'll get texture. When in doubt, take a break and let it dry. You can always add another coat with no problem but if you try to get solid coverage with 2-3 coat you'll get runs or texture.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Nebraska Trevor
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plasti dip rear valance

I read thru this and other similar threads and decided to take the plunge and pain t the lower part of my rear valance on my '02 Milenium Yellow car. It looks like I cant post a picture either because I cant figure it out or because i opted for the free membership but it looks amazing. I am really happy with the results and think that GM missed the boat by not coloring the car that way to begin with. At any rate thanks for all of the help and the inspiration!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:23 AM
precious metal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nebraska Trevor
I read thru this and other similar threads and decided to take the plunge and pain t the lower part of my rear valance on my '02 Milenium Yellow car. It looks like I cant post a picture either because I cant figure it out or because i opted for the free membership but it looks amazing. I am really happy with the results and think that GM missed the boat by not coloring the car that way to begin with. At any rate thanks for all of the help and the inspiration!
Glad your project came out well. As for the photos, look up the threads on posting pictures. All memberships allow photo posting. I can't wait to see the results.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:31 AM
Nebraska Trevor
4th Gear

I did read the Faq tutorial about this, however the "manage attachments" that i need to use does not appear below this box that i am typing in does not appear for me. i myst be doing something wrong! I will do some more searching.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:45 AM
steven31371
Burning Brakes

put several layers on...the thicker the coat the easier it is to peel off....peels off much easier than most car decals ;-)
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Curious.. has anyone pulled off their cowl and painted it with PD? I'm thinking of doing so in the coming weeks since it's faded pretty badly.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 PM
flaagan
CF "Young" Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Gotta love California...

Apparently they just recently put in a new law banning the shipping of gallon+ containers of paints like PlastiDip into the state, so you can no longer order the "pro car kit" from DipYourCar. Fonzie's apparently going to make a "Cali Kit" with a series of smaller containers, but man, gotta be bad for anyone who was / has starting a business around plastidipping cars.

Wish I'd known about this a couple of weeks ago, would've shipped a kit to my buddy the next state over who I just visited this past weekend.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Tastee Twirl
LIFE IS SHORT HAVE FUN
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

VERY NICE MEFLYFRC
Originally Posted by meflyfrc
Here's a jake

When your done peels right off

I have put the can down for awhile!

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know