Sponsored by:

Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 07:17 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 747 Likes on 430 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I'm a '55 model and guys of my generation grew up surrounded by chrome. Every car had an acre of chrome on it. People even liked whitewalls back in those days.

Today, I think we've gone too far in the other direction. Matte colors are too drab for me. Same for completely monochrome cars.

Give me a shiny paint job, some chrome wheels, and a big ol' white shift ****, and I'm good to go. No white walls, please.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:45 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,472 Likes on 14,066 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Have never tried the Plasti-Dip stuff, but have seen lots of people use it on here. Tons of possibilities and something that sometime down the road I just may use on my car.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:32 PM
SuperTom
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

looks like the OP used it on his taillights as well. Curious if any light can pass through with light coat.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm pretty sure it's not gonna work like nightshades. Putting a light coat of this stuff on anything looks like butt and if you fix it by putting more coats on it, it'll be completely opaque. I'd say that's a not go man.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:16 PM
robert21122
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nvusgt

Question for Robert. So your saying you used plasti-dip then used automotive clear coat? You do know that it's not going to have the same easy peel off characteristic because you used an automotive clear right? I really hope you experimented before doing that. Now for others reading this, this is not to scare you from using Plasti-Dip. You just can't use non Plasti-Dip products in conjunction, that's why they've made the Glossifier that keeps the peel off ability.
not sure on how it peels off. but i figured it would be easier because it should actually hold the paint together when peeling. so i dont have to peeling little pieces off at a time. i did use like three coats on the roof and halo. rims two heavy ones and cleared .the back was a good heavy coat and few touch up spots. thing i like is it blends in great unlike real spray paint which leaves thought two light lines or the tiger stripes.you can pretty much pick up anywhere to paint and it will look good.but even if it doesnt i love the look and wouldnt go back may have it done for real.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:55 PM
esemes
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

How do you mask the edge for the lower fascia? Afraid it'd look jagged...

Wanna try it tho.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:27 PM
Droptop-Rob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wanting to give it a shot as well, i was curious if anyone using it has had any issues with it fading or turning gray from UV?

Thanks

Rob

Last edited by Droptop-Rob; 01-24-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Silverback51
Race Director

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it smooth like paint, or rough like Rhino Lining in the pickup bed?
Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
markpetersonii
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Silverback51
More like in the middle? haha It's a rubberized compound so it feels rough but, it's MUCH smoother than Rhino Liner.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:40 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Originally Posted by robert21122
not sure on how it peels off. but i figured it would be easier because it should actually hold the paint together when peeling. so i dont have to peeling little pieces off at a time. i did use like three coats on the roof and halo. rims two heavy ones and cleared .the back was a good heavy coat and few touch up spots. thing i like is it blends in great unlike real spray paint which leaves thought two light lines or the tiger stripes.you can pretty much pick up anywhere to paint and it will look good.but even if it doesnt i love the look and wouldnt go back may have it done for real.
Um are you serious in saying "you're not sure how it peels off?" Then why did you get it over regular paint? This is not an attack as I'm genuinely curious as to why you got this product if you weren't sure of it's properties. Then going so far as to use an automotive clear coat, which completely negates it's vinyl like ability to be easily removed from any surface. As this video will now demonstrate:

I'm sorry to tell you this but now that you've clear coated it, it's practically permanent. Unfortunately instead of peeling off in a single sheet because of the clear coat like you were hoping, you've now made it to where it'll chip off in pieces. Thus making it rather difficult to remove. Again this is not an attack against you, I'm only trying let you know what's happened.

Originally Posted by esemes
How do you mask the edge for the lower fascia? Afraid it'd look jagged...

Wanna try it tho.
The tricky thing about Plasti-Dip if you want to make a smooth line, you have to be quick with removing the masking tape. From what I've seen and how I did it, was to coat most of the part and avoid the area where the masking tape is. Once the rest dries you can then apply a single thick layer where the tape is and then remove the tape before the Dip has a chance to dry. Once dry, you won't be able to pull the tape away without pulling up the Plasti-Dip. Try it out on some other stuff before doing your car just so you can get a feel for how it works and how quick you need to be the tape. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Droptop-Rob
I have been wanting to give it a shot as well, i was curious if anyone using it has had any issues with it fading or turning gray from UV?

Thanks

Rob
As for fading, I've had mine done for roughly 4months or so and it's been outside everyday since. Not single sign of wear whatsoever, and when I wash it I just gently go over it with my wash mitt. Done and done.

Originally Posted by Silverback51
If you can get the hang of applying it at just the right distance (practice on something other than your car) you can get a really smooth finish, with no texture or dull spots at all. It will be smooth, clean, flat black when all said and done. Now if you hurry or are too close/far, you may end up with some texturing that isn't anything like bedliner stuff but you can tell it's there.

Last edited by nvusgt; 01-24-2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:16 PM
maroman88
Pro

i used it on my Blazers rims, holding up great thru numerous off road trips with rocks and what not scrapping against them
Old 01-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Qwik01
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just make sure you guys apply the 4-5 coats minimun required. I did 3 good coats and it was hard to remove. The thicker the better.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
XPLOSYV
Racer

was directed here from my thread about two toning my c5...great info! thanks!
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

I plasti-dipped the inset on my rear fascia and exhaust shroud over a year ago and it still looks like the day I sprayed it. I am installing a new hood soon and will spray on the stripes using plasti-dip to be sure I like my planned design. Good stuff.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:36 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Awesome man, looks great and keep us posted on the hood stripes.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:57 PM
0ddball
Pro

I didn't see much talk about it in here but how does it work on chrome wheels?
Old 01-27-2012, 12:34 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Here's my version:

Front (I really need to get black screens):

Back:

Get notified of new replies

To Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know

Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM
markpetersonii
Intermediate

Where in MN are the roads that nice? haha It's been a few years since I've been around the TC but, I can't remember them that nice. That first pic looks great!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
JohnnyT
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by markpetersonii
Where in MN are the roads that nice? haha It's been a few years since I've been around the TC but, I can't remember them that nice. That first pic looks great!
That was actually a cruise we took to Wisconsin haha. The roads themselves are always bad after the snow / ice thaws, but come mid-spring / early summer after the potholes are filled it's usually not bad. Have to go north to get that sort of scenery though.

Appreciate the kind words
Old 01-27-2012, 02:55 PM
markpetersonii
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JohnnyT
That was actually a cruise we took to Wisconsin haha. The roads themselves are always bad after the snow / ice thaws, but come mid-spring late summer after the potholes are filled it's usually not bad. Have to go north to get that sort of scenery though.

Appreciate the kind words
Ah, WI that makes sense. I know all about the roads there, haha I'm from Fridley. I'm just stationed out here in Cali.

Quick Reply: Plasti-Dip Fans, please enter. If you don't know...now ya know