Sponsored by:

[Z06] Space saver spare for Z06?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Space saver spare for Z06?

Is there a space saver spare tire that I can use with the Z06 rear tires?
I have had flats that were not sealable with the liquid type inflators and many places in AZ have no cell phone reception.

I would think that some car comes with a donut/space saver spare that is the same height as our Z06 rear tires and will fit on our lug pattern? Now to just know which car that is?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:54 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

I think the GTO came with a 'space saver' spare, not 100% sure though.

I have seen Jag wheels on Vettes, Some BMW wheels fit too.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

You want to be careful when using a spare. The reason is that if you have different diameter tires on the back, the differential will have to slip and you will quickly wear out your limited slip clutches. If you have different tire sizes on the front the active handling will try to straighten the car if you don't turn off the nannies. I'd try to find a spare with the same diameter as the rear tires and go with that.

There have been a bunch of theads on using the GTO spare, the search engine is your friend.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:11 PM
PhilsFRC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GTO spare works but you have to machine or file out the (hub) center bore--it's slightly smaller in diameter than the C5 hub OD.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
You want to be careful when using a spare. The reason is that if you have different diameter tires on the back, the differential will have to slip and you will quickly wear out your limited slip clutches. If you have different tire sizes on the front the active handling will try to straighten the car if you don't turn off the nannies. I'd try to find a spare with the same diameter as the rear tires and go with that.

There have been a bunch of theads on using the GTO spare, the search engine is your friend.
So I think from your post, a GTO spare shouldn't even be used at all (because the spare doesn't match the front or rear wheel sizes), true?
Old 02-05-2012, 03:58 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

most use the gto spare on front for drag racing. i got a regular gto wheel as gto spares are little hard to find lately and cost about 150 including shipping. the regular gto wheel is 17" with 245/45/17 tire and if aired to 35 psi is within 1/10 diameter of rear z tire so it would be no problem for posi clutches AND it will fit in trunk on either side, i have same problem as far as cell phone towers, couldn't find spare but got rim/tire from local body shop who replaced it on damaged car, rim was scuffed and ins paid for new one to owner. good luck. oh very hard to impossible to find a tire that fits 4" wide gto spare to get anywhere near the 26.1 diameter of rear z tire and only good thing is spare gto rim is lighter and smaller so fits trunk easy.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06ster
So I think from your post, a GTO spare shouldn't even be used at all (because the spare doesn't match the front or rear wheel sizes), true?
No. I don't know what the diameter of the GTO space saver is. I'm just saying that if it isn't close to the same diameter as the stock rear tire and you put it on the back you can ruin your diff clutches.

You just need to find out what the diameter is. Some of these space savers are smaller. Just measure it and so long as the diameter is ok you are cool.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default get an 89 or later C4 SSS

Use the space saver spare from a 89 or later C4 corvette. That's the same size as the euro spare they used in export cars. It's aluminum, it's for a 275/40-17 so it's the exact same diameter as your stock tires, and it is also made to clear the big brakes they had on the J55 cars so will clear C5 brakes also with no problem.

I have a picture of mine around here somewhere. Got it off a friend when we both used to have C4's and I got a big brake kit and the pre 89 space saver spare wouldn't clear the calipers. I have had flats and would never go out without a spare but he was one of those people who just never worries about stuff so he just gave it to me. Fits perfect in the section in the back of the Z06 that was made just for one too.

\

Showing the Corvette wording on it. Nice having a vette part.

Usually you deflate the tire so it fits snugly in the cut out space. Mine is inflated right now and I am too lazy to deflate just for a picture so it's sticking way up. I just have one of those little inflation pumps like the stock fix a flat kit uses. Such small tires they inflate quickly.

Last edited by Jaxian; 02-05-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:24 PM
jwg2
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Solofast
No. I don't know what the diameter of the GTO space saver is. I'm just saying that if it isn't close to the same diameter as the stock rear tire and you put it on the back you can ruin your diff clutches.

You just need to find out what the diameter is. Some of these space savers are smaller. Just measure it and so long as the diameter is ok you are cool.
I have the GTO spare and it is the same diameter as the rear. You do have to hone out the center to fit it on the hub as an earlier post mentioned. I've only had to use it once on the rear and didn't risk driving beyond the next stop just to be careful with the diff. Was really glad I had it.

Get notified of new replies

To Space saver spare for Z06?

Quick Reply: [Z06] Space saver spare for Z06?