Sponsored by:

new steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:34 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,236 Likes on 1,590 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Looks like it completely blocks the view of the tach and speedometer. Unless you are 5 ft tall.
...and you would be wrong.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:45 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ztheusa
Looks like it completely blocks the view of the tach and speedometer. Unless you are 5 ft tall.
in the position i like my wheel it does block the view of the top just a little but i rarely look down at it anyways because i use the HUD. so no big deal
Old 02-25-2012, 11:26 AM
dc5-s
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribed!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Jollyrock
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=OkieBikerDude;1580035717]
Originally Posted by ronssito
yep, the pillsbury doughboy wheel is a c5's worst interior weakness.

I would love to get a good wheel from a C3 installed on my '02.

OBD

Airbag, what airbag?
Oh man, i am thinking the exact same thing. Have you had any luck. I'm looking at a Grant 967, you can buy a Corvette badge horn cap for it, but have yet to figure out how to fit it on the C5
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM
02z06dave
Drifting

[QUOTE=Jollyrock;1582054207]
Originally Posted by OkieBikerDude

Oh man, i am thinking the exact same thing. Have you had any luck. I'm looking at a Grant 967, you can buy a Corvette badge horn cap for it, but have yet to figure out how to fit it on the C5
Get a hub adapter and quick release. Most use the momo sparco bolt pattern, so you would need an adapter to go from the momo sparco pattern to grant. Should be easy to find on amazon or ebay.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:55 AM
Cybermind
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Those steering wheels look amazing! I would love to do that to my car but the whole airbag thing bothers me.

What happens if you ever need to sell it? You have just cut the value of the car considerably. Secondly, depending on where you live, what happens if it needs to go through an inspection (for safety, insurance, etc)? It will certainly fail.
Thirdly, isn't removing an airbag from a car a Federal offence? I believe it is here in Canada. I know for a fact that I would never be able to import a car from the US with the airbag removed.

Sooooo, I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. If my car was a track car, this wouldn't be an issue but it is not. I guess I,ll look into getting a recovered (alcantara or other) steering wheel surround.

But, yah the posted steering wheels look amazing. Damn airbags!

PS: Everybody knocks the C5 steering wheel but that design is typical for those years. Automakers were limited by the size of the airbag systems. Just take a look at the steering wheel in a Ferrari F355. Look familiar? Almost an exact copy!!

Last edited by Cybermind; 10-12-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 AM
02z06dave
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cybermind
Those steering wheels look amazing! I would love to do that to my car but the whole airbag thing bothers me.

What happens if you ever need to sell it? You have just cut the value of the car considerably. Secondly, depending on where you live, what happens if it needs to go through an inspection (for safety, insurance, etc)? It will certainly fail.
Thirdly, isn't removing an airbag from a car a Federal offence? I believe it is here in Canada. I know for a fact that I would never be able to import a car from the US with the airbag removed.

Sooooo, I'm still sitting on the fence on this one. If my car was a track car, this wouldn't be an issue but it is not. I guess I,ll look into getting a recovered (alcantara or other) steering wheel surround.

But, yah the posted steering wheels look amazing. Damn airbags!

PS: Everybody knocks the C5 steering wheel but that design is typical for those years. Automakers were limited by the size of the airbag systems. Just take a look at the steering wheel in a Ferrari F355. Look familiar? Almost an exact copy!!
First of all, thank you for the compliment! To answer your concerns: ill probably never sell my car because i have too much money in it and i would not want to take a bath on that, but in an emergency, i would put it mostly back to stock for resale. Where i live in ohio, we dont have inspections or anything so no worries there. As far as legality, it is illegal for a shop of any kind to remove an air bag from a car that came with one, but it is legal to do it yourself and run without it. I have even been pulled over once without the air bag and the cop made no mention of it. If i had to deal with inspections an stuff it may be different and maybe i would have left it alone, but more likely, i would find a way to put the stock wheel on a quick release so i could swap back and forth easily.

Quick Reply: new steering wheel