Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:21 AM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Toque
Wow ! Very cool !

Yea I agree... the high beams on the ACA's do suck a lot.
Thanks !
Toque
But why would you ever need your high beams when running ACA HIDs
Old 02-21-2012, 02:34 AM
Z-Stallion
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matthewlfd
Great work! How did you level the low beams?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 AM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dataporter
This looks great! Nice job! I am tempted to do this, too!
Did you get the new headlight assemblies on Ebay? Are the lenses glass or plastic? Was it hard to get the lenses off the back? How did you get the lenses off the back? Thanks in advance!
Yup, thats where I got the headlight housings. The headlight lenses are plastic, the ACA projector lens is glass. I didn't take the headlight lenses off, just removed the ACA projector by taking out the 4 screws that hold it in. Anyone can do it.

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Any way you can post up what Mr. Bill sent you? Or for Mr. Bill, can you post it up here?

Those look great.
Thanks. He sent a word document, I can post up the text, but I don't think the picture will come through.

Originally Posted by Z-Stallion
Great work! How did you level the low beams?
Thanks!. Honestly I just eyeballed the projectors to make sure they were level and even when I drilled the holes to install them. Any adjustment from that point is taken care of by the stock adjustment rods...assuming you haven't broken one by breathing on it....ask me how I know
Old 02-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by jrprich
But why would you ever need your high beams when running ACA HIDs
Because low beam HIDs have a cut off point. To go further you need high beams. Luckily for me in Dallas most streets are lit up so high beams are not needed. My low beams are amazing though.

Toque
Old 02-21-2012, 02:58 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Because low beam HIDs have a cut off point. To go further you need high beams. Luckily for me in Dallas most streets are lit up so high beams are not needed. My low beams are amazing though.

Toque
I agree. I have 4300 temp HID lows in my set of ACAs and when paired up with my 4300 HID dogs, I have plenty of light for my suburban night driving. In fact, some grumps have already flashed me when the I have them all on. The LED corner switchbacks also help.

I thought about performing a similar retro fit to have HID highs, however I like maintaining my flash to pass option. Something not recommended for HIDs.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
I thought about performing a similar retro fit to have HID highs, however I like maintaining my flash to pass option. Something not recommended for HIDs.
Maybe you are misunderstanding this retrofit, a bi-xenon projector is a single projector that does high and low beams. I don't even have the actual high beam bulbs in the ACA light plugged in, just 2 trigger wires that lift the cut-off shield in the low beam projector. If my low beams are on, flash to pass works just fine.

The HID bulb never powers off between low and high, just the moving shield you see in one of the top pics I posted.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

I'm wondering about the wiring of this. Its still plugs into the low beam plug ? What are u using to trigger the plate to move for the high beam ?

Toque
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

I'm wondering about the wiring of this. Its still plugs into the low beam plug ? What are u using to trigger the plate to move for the high beam ?

Toque
The low beam harness on the car plugs into the ballast which turns on the HID bulb. The high beam harness on the car plugs into a female harness connector I made that has both pins of the red wires you see in the projector in my pics. When I select high beams, it puts current through the high beam wires on the car and into the two red wires in the projector that activates a magnet in the projector that moves the shield into 'high beam mode'. When the current is removed, a spring snaps the shield back into 'low beam mode'.

So the actual high beam bulb in the headlight housing is not plugged into anything at all.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

The low beam harness on the car plugs into the ballast which turns on the HID bulb. The high beam harness on the car plugs into a female harness connector I made that has both pins of the red wires you see in the projector in my pics. When I select high beams, it puts current through the high beam wires on the car and into the two red wires in the projector that activates a magnet in the projector that moves the shield into 'high beam mode'. When the current is removed, a spring snaps the shield back into 'low beam mode'.

So the actual high beam bulb in the headlight housing is not plugged into anything at all.

Hope that makes sense.

Perfectly... thank you !
I may look into this.... as soon as my wife gets over my last Mod Bill...

Details on the parts $$, Part numbers, and where you got them ?

I already have the ACA setup in my car.

Toque
Old 02-21-2012, 09:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Maybe you are misunderstanding this retrofit, a bi-xenon projector is a single projector that does high and low beams. I don't even have the actual high beam bulbs in the ACA light plugged in, just 2 trigger wires that lift the cut-off shield in the low beam projector. If my low beams are on, flash to pass works just fine.

The HID bulb never powers off between low and high, just the moving shield you see in one of the top pics I posted.
Thanks for the clarification as I was misunderstanding the mod. So basically, your ACA "highs" are still halogen?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:32 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Perfectly... thank you !
I may look into this.... as soon as my wife gets over my last Mod Bill...

Details on the parts $$, Part numbers, and where you got them ?

I already have the ACA setup in my car.

Toque
If you already have the ACA and HIDs, then you will need:

Projectors w/wires- $135 +s/h
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=101

D2S Bulbs - $90ish for OEM brand (Philips or Osram), might be cheaper on eBay. Or probably $15-20 for asian brands.

Harness to run from HID ballast wires to D2S bulbs...maybe another $20 or so on eBay.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:41 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for the clarification as I was misunderstanding the mod. So basically, your ACA "highs" are still halogen?
The ACA "highs" (large inside circle) are still halogen, but not plugged in and not used since the high beam function (and flash to pass as long as the low beams are on) is all done with the moving low beam shield.

Here is a video of what the projector looks like switching from low to high beam function.

http://youtu.be/XiTiCmtVAlA
Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Projectors w/wires- $135 +s/h
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=101

D2S Bulbs - $90ish for OEM brand (Philips or Osram), might be cheaper on eBay. Or probably $15-20 for asian brands.

Harness to run from HID ballast wires to D2S bulbs...maybe another $20 or so on eBay.
Thanks !

This will give me something to work on once my wife calms down from my last mod...

Toque
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

I have HID bulbs(low beam)+ballasts, HI-4 harness and Toshiba hi-beams installed. What would I need to copy your conversion?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:22 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Were these the ACA's w HID or halogen bulbs that you modified?
Old 02-22-2012, 06:24 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by chasboy
I have HID bulbs(low beam)+ballasts, HI-4 harness and Toshiba hi-beams installed. What would I need to copy your conversion?
You would need exactly the same as Toque. The HID bulbs and connectors you have are for an HID bulb based in whatever size headlights you have.

With my setup you will no longer need the Toshiba high beams.

The automotive aftermarket takes a common size HID capsule and re-bases it to a 9005/9006/h3/h3/etc so they fit all sizes. The issue with this is that the housing is designed for the light optics of a halogen bulb of that size, not HID. The HID bulb has a different focal point and output power, so light out put is affected. This is where people get issues with glare, hot spots, throwing light everywhere, etc. Projectors designed for halogen bulbs tend to have less issues with tossing in re-based bulbs than reflector housings, but is not the best way to get the most amount of light output and least amount of glare.

When OEMs (or their tier 1s) design HID projectors, they design them all around the same standard size bulb...D2S. This is what my projector is designed for, and is the optimum setup for HIDs.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:28 PM
matthewlfd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Were these the ACA's w HID or halogen bulbs that you modified?
The low beam projectors that these shipped with were H9 Halogen. I'm sure some vendors sell H9 HID bulbs that can be put in them also, but see my above comment about that.

Get notified of new replies

To Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings

Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

The projectors used are actually made for HID (D1S). The manufacturer offered them with halogen bulbs to get the prices down on them. The projector optics were not changed.

For those that don't know these were originally offered with D1S bulbs and Phillips ballasts.

Cool DIY though.

Last edited by JW Motorsports; 02-22-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:09 PM
nvusgt
Drifting

Received 238 Likes on 104 Posts

great stuff, I've had my eye on theretrofitsource for a while, just no funds to do a cutsom setup like i want.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:09 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Nice setup.

You need to adjust your passenger side down a little. The Left part of the cutoff from each headlight should line up like so (reference the top):

Originally Posted by nvusgt
great stuff, I've had my eye on theretrofitsource for a while, just no funds to do a cutsom setup like i want.
I'm curious what you had in mind. I might be able to help.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID retrofit in ACA style housings