Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
teebee
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 286 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

So these are just a matter of pulling the old housings out and screwing these in? And then making the connections for the Hi-4 harness?

Are they available now?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:55 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by teebee
So these are just a matter of pulling the old housings out and screwing these in? And then making the connections for the Hi-4 harness?

Are they available now?
Not available yet. Pending installation by the new owner to make sure there was nothing overlooked. Looking to start the first GP in mid march.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:11 PM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a question I like the look of the ACA headlights and would like to have them so how do I go about this find a set of ACA or do you provide them in this GP also I already have HID lights in my stock light buckets

Pops
Old 03-06-2012, 12:44 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BOUT X
I have a question I like the look of the ACA headlights and would like to have them so how do I go about this find a set of ACA or do you provide them in this GP also I already have HID lights in my stock light buckets

Pops
There will be 2 options in the GP.

1) Purchase ACA lights with the Radioflyer ACA modification
2) Send in your existing ACA lights for the modification.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Z06rider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer

I"m afraid I only have access to the black housings at the moment, however I can modify chrome ones if you happen upon them.
Sweet, thats what I have now.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:12 AM
BOUT X
Corvette Cowboy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by theradioflyer
There will be 2 options in the GP.

1) Purchase ACA lights with the Radioflyer ACA modification
2) Send in your existing ACA lights for the modification.
Thank you can you pm me price for plug and play and shipping to 95215-4030
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BOUT X
Thank you can you pm me price for plug and play and shipping to 95215-4030
Pricing is in post #1.

Shipping is usually about 15-20 UPS ground.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:30 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Prototype units are in!! Spent a few hours yesterday putting them in, and got to test them last night. My conclusion? These things are AMAZING!!!! Even my fiance could notice right away how much better they are than the HIDs in factory housings (and yes I discovered the original owner had already upgraded to HID bulbs) Way more light output on both low and high beam, and the beam pattern has to be one of the best I've ever seen. I've used euro code lights on several other cars, and these have a beam patter that is at least as good as the best euro lens I've ever seen, and the bi-xenon bulbs put out so much light there is just no comparison.

Install was fairly easy if you take your time, although there are two big "gotchas":
1. Make sure to pre-tap the ACA housings with the factory screws before tyring to mount the headlights. They are not tapped, and trying to do it while mounting would not be fun. (Big thanks to Jesse Asis for this heads up.)
2. Apparently the polarity on the GM wiring and the HID ballast are opposite. A big thanks to George (thedaioflyer) for taking the time to answer his phone on a Saturday and help me troubleshoot this. For future reference, if you install these and the brights work but the lows don't, reverse the low beam plug going into the ballasts.

Now to one thing I don't like, but it's not anything wrong with the units or the conversion, but I definitely can see the "bounce" that everyone talks about. However, I've had this on all pop-up light sports cars that I've ever converted to upgraded headlights. Both my 4th gen Firebirds had it pretty bad, as did the 01 Z06 I had. I will say that the C4 I had didn't do it as bad, but I think a lot of that is the design of the pop up design. Both the f-bodies and the C5 use a simple pop-up mechanism, whereas the C4 used a unique design that rotates around a shaft instead of "popping" up. Anyway, with the pop-up design and the much, much greater light output, I think the "bounce" is just a fact of life with stiffly suspended sports cars that use pop-up lights. It's definitely something I can live with for the HUGE improvement in light output.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,275 Likes on 1,193 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

Oh, one last thing I forgot to mention, I did not need to do any trimming of the headlamp mounting bracket for the housings to fit.
Old 03-18-2012, 06:34 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Evan70
Prototype units are in!! Spent a few hours yesterday putting them in, and got to test them last night. My conclusion? These things are AMAZING!!!! Even my fiance could notice right away how much better they are than the HIDs in factory housings (and yes I discovered the original owner had already upgraded to HID bulbs) Way more light output on both low and high beam, and the beam pattern has to be one of the best I've ever seen. I've used euro code lights on several other cars, and these have a beam patter that is at least as good as the best euro lens I've ever seen, and the bi-xenon bulbs put out so much light there is just no comparison.

Install was fairly easy if you take your time, although there are two big "gotchas":
1. Make sure to pre-tap the ACA housings with the factory screws before tyring to mount the headlights. They are not tapped, and trying to do it while mounting would not be fun. (Big thanks to Jesse Asis for this heads up.)
2. Apparently the polarity on the GM wiring and the HID ballast are opposite. A big thanks to George (thedaioflyer) for taking the time to answer his phone on a Saturday and help me troubleshoot this. For future reference, if you install these and the brights work but the lows don't, reverse the low beam plug going into the ballasts.

Now to one thing I don't like, but it's not anything wrong with the units or the conversion, but I definitely can see the "bounce" that everyone talks about. However, I've had this on all pop-up light sports cars that I've ever converted to upgraded headlights. Both my 4th gen Firebirds had it pretty bad, as did the 01 Z06 I had. I will say that the C4 I had didn't do it as bad, but I think a lot of that is the design of the pop up design. Both the f-bodies and the C5 use a simple pop-up mechanism, whereas the C4 used a unique design that rotates around a shaft instead of "popping" up. Anyway, with the pop-up design and the much, much greater light output, I think the "bounce" is just a fact of life with stiffly suspended sports cars that use pop-up lights. It's definitely something I can live with for the HUGE improvement in light output.
Thanks for the review.

GP begins tomorrow!!!!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

the GP has started:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...post1580318075
Old 03-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Z06ufgrad2002
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be interested in this also, for a GP price.

I have one of the original ACA setups; not sure what bulb type is installed currently. Will this bixenon upgrade kit work on any ACA housing and will there be different wiring needed if the original kit has a different bulb style?

I found in the original box the bulbs are a D1S style, if that helps answer my questions above.

Last edited by Z06ufgrad2002; 03-21-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
la vett girl
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...flyer-gp1.html

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Z06ufgrad2002
I'd be interested in this also, for a GP price.

I have one of the original ACA setups; not sure what bulb type is installed currently. Will this bixenon upgrade kit work on any ACA housing and will there be different wiring needed if the original kit has a different bulb style?

I found in the original box the bulbs are a D1S style, if that helps answer my questions above.
Based on the photos i've seen of the original ACA kit, it appears they are identical to the H9 version except for the projector bowl. There shouldn't be any issues swapping to the Bi-xenon kit. You will need a new HID kit (which i include in my upgrade kit) and you can do away with most of the wiring that came with your ACA kit. My setup feeds from the factory wiring harness.

You can find the GP here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...flyer-gp1.html
Old 12-03-2016, 12:16 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Sent you an Email
Old 12-06-2016, 06:13 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
In light of CF member "matthewlfd's" Bi-xenon retrofit in the ACA projector housings, I'm considering offering this both as a conversion service to people's existing lights and at an entire kit with brand new headlights.

Brand new kits would be $600

Conversions to existing headlights would be $275

Note: The conversions I offer would correct the alignment issue between high and low beam that has plagued the ACA design since it's introduction.

Anyone interested?
YES.

Did you receive the Email I sent you?
Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 AM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
YES.

Did you receive the Email I sent you?
email responded
Old 12-06-2016, 08:51 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
email responded

Haven't received it. Probably because I failed to update on the forum. Could you please resend to: rmerce12@gmail.com. I'll update on the forum. The hotmail address currently listed is dead.

Quick Reply: Gauging interest: ACA Bi-xenon headlight conversion