Sponsored by:

New Clear Bra Install *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 07:54 PM
01Z0Sixx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default New Clear Bra Install *Pics*

I Had a partial front end clear bra on my car and had a full front end bra done at Pleasant Details in Mt. Pleasant SC. They also allowed me to do some touch up on the front end with the Dr. color chip system I had purchased while the car was on a lift surrounded by flourescent lights. Not very forgiving at all. I could have been there all day. I didn't get any pics of that process though. But I am giving a huge thumbs up on the Dr. color chip. Worked great. Then the car was completely swirl removed and waxed and polished. Sad to say it needed it bad. You can see it in the first pic. Then the clear bra install. It is the complete hood, front fenders, headlight covers, headlight lenses, liscence plate filler, turn signals and mirrors. all of the edges are wrapped over the egde so the is no visible seams. The emblems were removed and put on over the bra, as opposed to my last kit that was computer cut to go around them. All of it was cut by hand for a perfect fit. Top notch work! Some removal pics and install. And a forum member dicount to boot. Took only three days, and that is with a one day cure in the sun at the shop so it could be monitored. I almost forgot that my car was actually black. Enough talk. Here you go!

Came off just by pulling. Easier than I thought.

A small cutout to allow it to go in the curve. right on the body line. Hard to see.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

That's a very good investment in your car. I have the same stuff on mine and it really does protect the car from chips/bugs/etc.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:39 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

yea thats really nice

i want one
Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 PM
f6john
Melting Slicks

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Cost??
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 AM
Green_Devil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish i did that when i bought me vette, looks great
Old 03-25-2012, 06:22 AM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by f6john
Cost??
Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Looks real good

Thanks,Matt
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Interesting. Great pics.

So the swirl marks were on top of the original clear bra? Does the new bra have better cut-off lines than the original? The original lines seemed to have a sharp cut-off that is easily seen. Might be due your car being black.

Also, you mentioned the Dr. Color Chip work. Was the original clear bra applied over a chipped up front fascia?
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 AM
01Z0Sixx
Instructor

Originally Posted by f6john
Cost??
I will send a PM to those interested in price for now until I get ahold of the shop. I don't want to post their price without their permission.

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Interesting. Great pics.

So the swirl marks were on top of the original clear bra? Does the new bra have better cut-off lines than the original? The original lines seemed to have a sharp cut-off that is easily seen. Might be due your car being black.

Also, you mentioned the Dr. Color Chip work. Was the original clear bra applied over a chipped up front fascia?
The swirl marks were mostly on my whole car, from not using a nice DA that I have yet to still get. I have used my buddies Porter Cable 7424xp on his Black truck and with the swirl remover meguires kit, his all but disappeared, after many hours of effort though. There were some swirls on top of the bra, because the bra was waxed just like the rest of the car. They came out a lot easier than the rest when I did my car awhile back. This new stuff, Xpell is the brand, their website lists prices for individual pieces, although when bulk ordered by the shop it comes out cheaper. As for care of this one, I was told to just wash it like normal and then apply Rejex, a "rain-x" style applicator to the bra, and even the rest of the car. I have used it before on the wheels and it is great. Depending on how often your car is driven, washed and waxed, it is supposed to last a few weeks per application.
As for the original lines, that was only a partial kit, that went up the hood as far as you see. When your car is clean, not like mine there, it is a lot harder to see, but there is a line. You have to make sure when waxing to go back with a q-tip and remove excess wax from the edge to prevent a white build up that makes it way more noticable.
This new kit is a full kit and all the egdes of the film extend to and over the edges of the panels, so no line is visible anywhere, except for the small cutout in the fender cove, which is required because the kit, if stretched into the full bend, will turn whiteish, like stretching a piece of tape too far. The only other spot it has an edge is the front license plate cover. It was trimmed to go around the "CORVETTE" letters so as not to trap air behind the kit. But it is not even noticable unless very close to the car.
As far as the old kit I had, yes, it was just applied over any existing chips. There were not a lot and they are all minor, so there was no effect on the sealing of the kit. This time, the shop was more than generous in allowing me to come in and touch it up prior to install. They are actually in the process of adding a touch up to chips as part of their install of clear bras.

I will go out today and get some pics of the front plate cover and better pics of the edge wrap to add to the thread. If you have any specific requests, let me know.

Hope this helps more.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:09 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like they did a great job!
Old 03-25-2012, 11:12 AM
01Z0Sixx
Instructor

I am more than pleased with the results. More than worth the investment by far.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks for the PM !
Old 03-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z0Sixx
I will send a PM to those interested in price for now until I get ahold of the shop. I don't want to post their price without their permission.
PM please!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
ourblk96
Instructor

[QUOTE=01Z0Sixx;1580373135]I will send a PM to those interested in price for now until I get ahold of the shop. I don't want to post their price without their permission.

PM please....great looking car...love the black!!
Old 03-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like they did a great job. Happy to hear you like the results. I am always looking for other installers to refer business to. I will add them to my list. I can tell from the photos you psoted that they did a good job and were very meticulous with your vehicle.

As far as prices go one thing to mention to everyone is prices vary GREATLY between installers, locations, and types of film used. So what this individual paid would be very different to what you may pay.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,675 Likes on 1,479 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 01Z0Sixx
As for the original lines, that was only a partial kit, that went up the hood as far as you see. When your car is clean, not like mine there, it is a lot harder to see, but there is a line. You have to make sure when waxing to go back with a q-tip and remove excess wax from the edge to prevent a white build up that makes it way more noticable.
This new kit is a full kit and all the egdes of the film extend to and over the edges of the panels, so no line is visible anywhere, except for the small cutout in the fender cove, which is required because the kit, if stretched into the full bend, will turn whiteish, like stretching a piece of tape too far. The only other spot it has an edge is the front license plate cover. It was trimmed to go around the "CORVETTE" letters so as not to trap air behind the kit. But it is not even noticable unless very close to the car.
Thanks for the information. So the new kit covers the entire hood? It looks good. Did you cover any of the side areas, rockers or fenders behind the wheel wells to prevent tire debris damage?

Also, do they recommend a good polish/wax before you apply the film or does that make the install more difficult?

Last edited by MSG C5; 03-25-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 211 Posts

I wonder how this would compare price and performance wise, VS having more clear applied after a fresh paint? How long it it supposed to last?

Get notified of new replies

To New Clear Bra Install *Pics*

Old 03-25-2012, 01:41 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
I wonder how this would compare price and performance wise, VS having more clear applied after a fresh paint? How long it it supposed to last?
Clear is still just paint and chips just a easy. My Z came with Clear Bra on the Nose half way up the hood, behind each wheel, Mirrors, Sills (inside and out), around the rear brake ducts, and the door handles.

I just got the car last year, something hit the front hard enough to cut a small piece of clear bra before I bought it...but it is very minor and if it had been paint it would have been much worse. I need to re-do the mirrors as the edges are not as tight as they were years ago I'm sure.

If you already have chips, you'll have air bubbles if you get Clear Bra installed. It should go on new cured paint (at least a few weeks of curing) and it lasts for many many years. Amazing stuff...
Old 03-25-2012, 02:00 PM
CharlestonTiger38
Advanced

Pm Please! Looks great!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:19 PM
01Z0Sixx
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Thanks for the information. So the new kit covers the entire hood? It looks good. Did you cover any of the side areas, rockers or fenders behind the wheel wells to prevent tire debris damage?

Also, do they recommend a good polish/wax before you apply the film or does that make the install more difficult?
The whole hood, both front fenders, front bumper, plate cover and mirrors were done. I had some still on the car behind the rear tires and door jams that was left on. A full wax and polish was done prior to install. Does not affect the install and helps it shine underneath. the film breaths since it is a wet install so any moisture underneath will escape while drying.

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Just like JET said, a clear coat is "paint" and this is just another layer of protection. On the old bra there was some nicks and whatnot on it, but when the bra was removed, they went with it. I will for sure do this if I ever get a new car. From the lot to a dealer to install.

Originally Posted by CharlestonTiger38
Pm Please! Looks great!
Thanks. if I didn't get anyone a PM, let me know.

Quick Reply: New Clear Bra Install *Pics*