Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power buffer

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 PM
HighInFiber
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A clay bar system, PC DA buffer and the Meguires Micro Fiber DA Correction system. Use a two bucket wash method, with grit guards, to keep from returning to your current finish state.

I am using this setup to restore the finish on my 50th AE Vert.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

Scratch X twice takes them all out
Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
Sherpaboy
Racer

Hard to get a complete kit of a buffer and all the products for polishing at $100 budget
This wont happen

As several have already said Adams
Old 03-27-2012, 07:40 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Couple things. Don't get a flex unless you know what you're doing. They are for the professionals and many places like autogeek and Griots garage doesn't recommend them for the novice.

According to autogeek they actually prefer the Griots over the porter cable because they have a few more amps.

The most important aspect are the pads.

This is my recommendation ( 6" )
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...dom+orbital.do

For the basics you only need the yellow scrubbing pad, (that's for compounds and such) I would recommend starting with a compund if your paint is in bad shape.

A polishing pad (not the glass pad) and a wax pad.

I got a complete kit on sale here from a vendor who is just starting to sell the griots all for 132 shipped but that promo is over.

Mine also came with the instructional CD. I used it like they told me to and the results were great. I have some bad water spots from a PO I will never get out but it's 90% better than it was.

I used all Meguiars products. No need to use expensive waxes and polishes for now. Get them later as money permits.

My rule of thumb is, if I can swing it, buy now because things will never get cheaper. I did look and this is about the best deal I could find for you

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-27-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:34 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Another vote for the Porter Cable and Adam's products. Very good info available on the Adam's web site.

Gene
Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM
BACNBLK
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

All great advice, I for one can support the Meg's products as well ( M105 & M205 & NXT Tech 2.0) with a good DA ( Flex, PC or Meg)

Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 PM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 684 Posts

Default Porter-Cable Variable Speed Random-Orbit Polisher

Old 03-27-2012, 10:15 PM
needdlex
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

After reading the entire thread, I just feel like I am not knowledgeable enough on this topic to jump into buying equipment that could potentially damage my clear coat or make the light swirls worse.

I am not opposed to waxing or buffing the whole car by and, I love labor intensive things that make the difference.

I have heard that Mothers has some good products. I am looking for something that I can go to my local O'Rilleys and pick up. I had some wax left over from my white Silverado an I waxed my roof. It looks quite a bit better than it did. There are still some scratches, but I think it will work for what I want. If I really want it done the right wy, I can find someone on these forums or where I live that I would trust to use the power tools.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by needdlex
After reading the entire thread, I just feel like I am not knowledgeable enough on this topic to jump into buying equipment that could potentially damage my clear coat or make the light swirls worse.

I am not opposed to waxing or buffing the whole car by and, I love labor intensive things that make the difference.
Don't let some of the advice scare you away. If you buy a Porter Cable, or even the more powerful Flex, you won't damage your paint. They are both random orbital polishers that generate very little heat and won't burn your paint. In fact you can put the palm of your hand on it and not hurt yourself. Trying to correct a Corvette by hand is a process that I wouldn't wish on anybody. The clear on these cars is hard.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Vette_Fan
While we're on the subject, can some talk about removing swirls off a Black car. What products, techniques to be used.

Black is the hardest to fix.

Thanks!
The most important thing is to realize that you simply cannot get every scratch out I use a Flex 3401, and orange, white, and black foam pads with the Meguiars 105/205 combo. Take your time, work on small sections at a time. Start with the least aggressive to most aggressive combination. Use proper washing techniques to keep swirls to a minimum. I've gone insane over the years keeping my black '98 relatively swirl free.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by needdlex

I have heard that Mothers has some good products. I am looking for something that I can go to my local O'Rilleys and pick up. I had some wax left over from my white Silverado an I waxed my roof. It looks quite a bit better than it did. There are still some scratches, but I think it will work for what I want. If I really want it done the right wy, I can find someone on these forums or where I live that I would trust to use the power tools.
Using the PC or Griots buffer you will not damage your paint. You would have to be a complete moron for that to happen. I had never used one either until I got my griots and it was no different than using the small hand held waxer/buffers.

I have no swirls and it took out a lot of the imperfections. But as was said, you may never get them all out, I know I won't. But it looks amazing from what I started with.

If you are afraid of it just get one of those small ones and do the best you can. But to get those swirls out you will need to use a compound or at the very least a swirl remover.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-28-2012 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by AZ 7TVETTE
Flex polisher for the win.
Are they really better than the porter-cable ones ??
Old 03-28-2012, 10:48 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sinister-one
Are they really better than the porter-cable ones ??
Go on autogeek's website. They have some video's that talk about all the different buffers and their uses. Some people swear by them, but others say stay away from them unless you really know what you're doing.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:59 AM
ADIJUC
2nd Gear

I had the same issue. I would suggest Meguiars products and at the same time do your research before you do any work. ...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM
CeeRow
Instructor

Search for The Junkman on YouTube. He's a vette owner and shows you everything you need to know about detailing your vette.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Orig Ante M
Instructor

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
HighInFiber
Advanced

This is really goof proof...

Using Meguiars DA Microfiber Correction System

It is the system I started with...

Get notified of new replies

To Power buffer

Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
Go on autogeek's website. They have some video's that talk about all the different buffers and their uses. Some people swear by them, but others say stay away from them unless you really know what you're doing.
Still doesn't tell what the difference is. it's still just a random orbital polisher as is the porter-cable unit.

Originally Posted by CeeRow
Search for The Junkman on YouTube. He's a vette owner and shows you everything you need to know about detailing your vette.
Seen them... he uses a porter-cable unit.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM
HighInFiber
Advanced

The FLEX is direct drive, the PC DA is not direct drive.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Sinister-one
Le Mans Master

I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy a PC.... All I have is Craftsman 10" buffer/polisher at the moment.

Quick Reply: Power buffer