Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the crap.... seriously....

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:26 PM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea install them to find out there bad then they tell u to bad u already installed them.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:35 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good choice to send them back. No use taking the chance on them being bad.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 PM
Big Duk
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a suspension shop can wipe them down & cycle them to check for leakage.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Bakerking31
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that fluid is normal, its not uniform because the shocks werent sitting straight up and down they were on their side.

Theres nothing wrong with that, its not going to damage the shocks.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:42 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
Lol I've been asked that a lot. No, I'm still a C5er. Just celebrating 60 years of Vettes.
There aren't too many C6 models that have made me want to move out of my C5 vert, but I'm loving that new anniversary C6 vert!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:46 PM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

so are you going to give this company extra money for wasting their time and money when your next set you order from a different company look the same way?
Old 03-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Bakerking31
that fluid is normal, its not uniform because the shocks werent sitting straight up and down they were on their side.

Theres nothing wrong with that, its not going to damage the shocks.
I am the vendor to blame, I'll take the criticism. First, packaging. We have packaged shocks several different ways. We first wrapped them all up together and shipped them. We got complaints shocks were falling out of the boxes even though they were stapled.

After that we started banding them together so none of the boxes could open but then we were receiving complaints about that.

Next, we got a box about the same dimensions as all of the shocks stacked together, in two's. This means the shocks are double boxed. You have one of the shocks not stacked in that photo so this is not how it would have been received. Once shocks are stacked on both sides of the box there is little room to move. I will check into it again and make certain the box is close still.

I am very picky about packaging. I spend thousands of dollars per year on unnecessary packaging materials and countless hours training the guys on how I want it done.

The fact of the matter is UPS gave that package a real pounding. I cannot be responsible for that.

As I already explained to you GM puts coating on the shocks to prevent them from rusting or getting condensation on them during shipping to different climates and times of the year. If they did not protect them then they would be rusty, etc.

As this person mentioned above... we spoke to a GM engineer regarding these shocks since we were having people question the oil. The answer was some of the oil is a protectant and excess oil and once the shocks are bolted in place, compressed and cleaned they will not leak.

I have told many customers this... to install and clean them and they did not contact me again with the issue. This would make the GM engineer's answer correct. Besides, the shocks are warranted for 12 months and any bad shock is certainly going to fail before that.

Thanks,
Gene.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Last edited by Gene Culley; 03-31-2012 at 12:01 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 AM
Bakerking31
Racer

for what its worth I received mine with the oil on them as well and they work great.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:04 AM
rtpassini
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Gene, I hope u charge the OP a "b.s." fee.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:11 AM
GHL4505
Racer

Looks like one may have been dropped, but unless the flange is bent it should be OK. Think about it . . . it's a shock absorber! It's built to move in and out. I'd clean them up and install them
Old 03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ship them back!
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM
gtmgooser
Advanced

Thanks for the explanation Gene.. I don't completely agree with the "preservation" part as only 2 of the 4 had any sign of it... maybe I need to be more concerned about the dry ones then??? And as for the packaging, I think it speaks for itself... U can point fingers at UPS but ultimately it's the shippers responsibility to make all reasonable efforts to secure and protect the internal contents of any package tendered for transport and this includes internal void fill to maintain package integrity.

At any rate, I'm not trying to make this into a pissing contest or anything else (I kept your name out of it intentionally as I was only looking for others thoughts on the subject, and not personal feelings one way or the other about the vendor in question). I had concerns, I spoke to your customer service rep and didn't like the answers I received so I posted the questions here looking for experiences and thoughts. You tell me they are fine as is (because GM tech said so) and that you won't take them back without charging a 20% restocking fee because "I don't understand the preservation and shipping process" so we'll end it at that..... lesson learned.

Last edited by gtmgooser; 03-31-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:58 AM
chasboy
Le Mans Master

Received 914 Likes on 721 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by gtmgooser
Thanks for the explanation Gene.. I don't completely agree with the "preservation" part as only 2 of the 4 had any sign of it... maybe I need to be more concerned about the dry ones then??? And as for the packaging, I think it speaks for itself... U can point fingers at UPS but ultimately it's the shippers responsibility to make all reasonable efforts to secure and protect the internal contents of any package tendered for transport and this includes internal void fill to maintain package integrity.
The cost of business involves customer satisfaction. Avoiding shipping damage is an easy way to prevent certain foreseeable problems. One must realize that a vendor is a middle man, and one's major claim to fame is that they are providing a service. (we are in a customer service economy) Unfortunately, some business people choose to do a more meticulous job preventing damage to shipped goods. Bottom line is that the customer has every right to expect the seller to ship the purchased item in a manner that there will be no question of it's condition when received.
I'm also dismayed at fellow forum members who show 'annoyance' at the OP's concerns, instead taking the 'side' of the vendor. Maybe they accept shoddy business practices. I don't know. The OP chose to buy from this vendor expecting a good experience. The vendor did not protect his product adequately, yet some people get their backs up at the OP because he has the temerity to question the condition of his purchase.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:05 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

When I read this thread yesterday, I thought "Oh ****", I have new shocks being delivered as well and didn't really know what to expect.

First, I applaud the OP who did not call out the vendor and simply asked for advise from the forum. Second, I applaud Gene from GM Partshouse who took the time to explain his position. I have ordered from Gene in the past and have received outstanding service.

Regarding the shocks, I am not what you would call a "mechanic", rather a person who has a passion for customizing stuff, including my Corvette. So, if I would have received a damaged package with some of the shocks covered with oil, I would have the same questions the OP has. In fact, the shocks I just ordered and received are the first shocks I've ever purchased for any of my vehicles. My other DDs were driven into the ground and then traded or sold without installing new shocks, so this is new for me as well.

However, for comparison purposes, below are pics of my new Koni FSD shocks and the packaging. The other boxes are my new Corsa X-Pipe and Thermal Tunnel Plate!

Well packaged, plenty of padding, no leaks or extra fluid.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM
Bakerking31
Racer

Op ... I don't know how else to put this ... There's nothing wrong with those shocks. They are not fragile, the oil is normal. If you don't want to believe this from the experts and base it off your perceptions with no mechanical background then you should pay a restocking fee.

It's funny you say they gave you an answer you didn't like ... Sometimes the truth hurts
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a set of C6 Z06 shocks from the same vendor and they did not come covered in oil but that was 18 months ago so GM may have started putting oil on them but I would also be concerned. However, the vendor is a reputable vendor and I trust him. The install is a bit of a PITA so you have a tough decision to make. The shocks are a nice improvement over stock C5 shocks.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:21 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I got my C6Z06 shocks and sways from Gene a few years ago...they also had some oil on them...the sway bar packaging took a beating from UPS but the bars were just fine.

No issues with anything of the above and the car ain't a garage queen. People worry about **** way to much.

Get notified of new replies

To What the crap.... seriously....

Old 03-31-2012, 11:32 AM
Ultimate_Respect
Pro

Gene.....

I was the first to say he should put them on his car.. I did not see a big deal in the packages anyways.. Although I think customer service is a key, if this person had concerns maybe you should have taken more accountability. I have a businesses as well, when my clients went to spring training and certain glove companies and bats companies delayed our orders I contacted my clients and gave them options. Since some of them are under endorsement contracts, there was little I could do but I was still trying to solve their issues. I even took the blame for not placing the orders in time. Maybe you should have taken some type of accountability. It does not look good when we blame someone else. Maybe you will want to reconsider the restocking fees on this case. Otherwise people here my think about doing business with a different vendor. Believe me I have refussed to purchase things from a few vendors because of the way they talk on here.. I don't know the buyer but he has been very professional cant say the same for you..
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

I have never had someone put a preservative on something that is painted. I would return.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 AM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

Seeing the vendor response, I withdraw my previous post. He is a top drawer vendor. Sorry.

Quick Reply: What the crap.... seriously....