Sponsored by:

The Saga of my Corvette's blown motor and rebuild... v.many pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 07:29 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

DID ANY OF YOU READ THE WHOLE THING!?
Specifically the part about how the tapping was LIGHT and on the passenger side?
If you kept reading (or read at all) you would have seen the rocker was missing an end cap - that's all - there was BARELY ANY wear on the push rod AT ALL from this.
When we pulled the motor the COMP CAMS AFTERMARKET VALVE SPRING on the DRIVER'S SIDE HEAD was crushed.

The tap had NOTHING TO DO with the spring. Not to mention if the tap was going to cause an engine failure, it would have done it during the 15+ WOT DYNO PULLS that we did ON THE NIGHT I BOUGHT THE CAR. I drove the car for a few months after that (never missing a gear and not being specifically nice to the car) with no issues and the noise DID NOT GET LOUDER.

So to those of you that are saying I'm "blaming a friend for something that is my own fault" - maybe I didn't explain it explicitly enough, but I guess I was giving reading comprehension of most (or even people reading the thread at all) too much credit.

Originally Posted by damilleniumboy
Did you have the rev limiter removed? Or was it a bad shift from a higher gear to a lower gear?
It was a mechanical over-rev
ie he shoved the shifter from 4th into 3rd at WOT/high rpm - and let the clutch all the way out.

Both my mechanic (and friend) and I have seen mechanical over-rev issues before... as well as seen the aftermath. There's nothing else this could have been.

Last edited by RideZX6R; 04-11-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:31 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you had a tapping noise of any kind in the valve train,you had an issue!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:26 AM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Default Damages !

Originally Posted by RideZX6R
DID ANY OF YOU READ THE WHOLE THING!?
Specifically the part about how the tapping was LIGHT and on the passenger side?
If you kept reading (or read at all) you would have seen the rocker was missing an end cap - that's all - there was BARELY ANY wear on the push rod AT ALL from this.
When we pulled the motor the COMP CAMS AFTERMARKET VALVE SPRING on the DRIVER'S SIDE HEAD was crushed.

The tap had NOTHING TO DO with the spring. Not to mention if the tap was going to cause an engine failure, it would have done it during the 15+ WOT DYNO PULLS that we did ON THE NIGHT I BOUGHT THE CAR. I drove the car for a few months after that (never missing a gear and not being specifically nice to the car) with no issues and the noise DID NOT GET LOUDER.

So to those of you that are saying I'm "blaming a friend for something that is my own fault" - maybe I didn't explain it explicitly enough, but I guess I was giving reading comprehension of most (or even people reading the thread at all) too much credit.

It was a mechanical over-rev
ie he shoved the shifter from 4th into 3rd at WOT/high rpm - and let the clutch all the way out.

Both my mechanic (and friend) and I have seen mechanical over-rev issues before... as well as seen the aftermath. There's nothing else this could have been.
I agree with you a 1000%. and yes I read your post , all of them. I think you did the stand up thing getting involved in the problem, Both of them and I am very impressed at how you went about it. My only advice is skip the free detailing, just drive the finished car to your 'Friends' local and tell him to detail the car now. If, If when he is done, and still charges you, Just pay it and make it a mental note in your mind to never use this guy again. He would or should step up and just do the detail on his own. Hand you your keys and say "I'm sorry about the fuss and this on is on me. But You did a great job, the Corvette is now not only fixed, but in many ways better than before, OK so this friend lead you into this project, but this could of happened to you running a errand any of the same time. It's fixed and you move on. Just my opinion.$0.02
Old 05-05-2012, 06:49 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Video of first start-up Uploading...
Old 05-05-2012, 06:54 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Sorry the phone was sideways...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeTqo3xHSfA
Old 05-05-2012, 07:48 AM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did your motor have pistonslap?
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 AM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 2003 electronblue
Did your motor have pistonslap?
Hard to hear over the open headers. Even in the video the audio is so loud it just goes out of the microphone range.
We'll hear more when the x-pipe/exhaust is back on. Everything sounded very healthy from the little I heard tho.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:04 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice build thread that's a bit tarnished by the "I'm sure the blowup was not my fault but my friend did it" ah emm; good luck and do your own detailing as well as the driving
Old 05-05-2012, 03:11 PM
tsbbzm
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPCATHR
thanks for the photos.....good luck with the motor

Originally Posted by peter pan
Nice rebuild you have going on
Old 05-05-2012, 05:15 PM
bearcatt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I see a broken valve spring in one of the pictures. These cars are notorious for that. That most likely was your cause of overall engine failure.

Over revs will usually bend push rods if they are stock.

It's not your friends fault, he just happened to have your car at the wrong time.

Glad to see you're in the process of building a much improved engine.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:46 PM
vetintheblood
Burning Brakes

Location: Beavercreek Ohio Currently own: 1958 Silver Blue Corvette
Received 752 Likes on 253 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Thanks fore the great pix! Good luck with the new engine brother!

Old 05-05-2012, 09:03 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by killain
I agree with you a 1000%. and yes I read your post , all of them. I think you did the stand up thing getting involved in the problem, Both of them and I am very impressed at how you went about it. My only advice is skip the free detailing, just drive the finished car to your 'Friends' local and tell him to detail the car now. If, If when he is done, and still charges you, Just pay it and make it a mental note in your mind to never use this guy again. He would or should step up and just do the detail on his own. Hand you your keys and say "I'm sorry about the fuss and this on is on me. But You did a great job, the Corvette is now not only fixed, but in many ways better than before, OK so this friend lead you into this project, but this could of happened to you running a errand any of the same time. It's fixed and you move on. Just my opinion.$0.02
take the high road. Pays off in the long run.
Enjoy the rebuilt engine and your Corvette
Old 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM
johnsengine
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everybody,
I havent been on here in a while. Busy - Got 'cornered' into restoring my uncles VW bug ... I know - no comments from the peanut section please !! Im going into primer soon & cant wait to work on something exciting again ... like 1 of my vettes - or another chopper !!
"Saga on blown motor" sounds good - a little 'ticking' noise can come from open headers sometimes. Check again after mufflers are on & for the love of God ... any 'wrong' sounds - address them A.S.A.P. !! Set your rev-limiter low too. [5500 - 5800].
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 PM
RideZX6R
Melting Slicks

Tuning info...

Originally Posted by Matt
last datalog

pretty nice and even 12.50 air fuel, that green line in the chart
the histogram above is the percentage its off 12.50 (the commanded) averaging like 1% off is pretty damn good! haha

i have 23deg knock free in her now, around peak tq 4000-5000 it knocks with anymore than 22deg in her, fresh tank of gas im gunna shoot for 26 6000+ RPM and 24 5000+ see how it likes that, and maybe get it on a dyno by the weekend to see what kinda power it makes.

Quick Reply: The Saga of my Corvette's blown motor and rebuild... v.many pics