Sponsored by:

[Z06] X pipe replacement on stock 2002 C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 AM
FuglyHippo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default X pipe replacement on stock 2002 C5 Z06

I have figured out that I have a loose piece of metal in my X pipe and it's getting decently annoying. So I want to replace it, but I'd rather do a somewhat upgrade while doing so.

I found this, however, it seems like it doesn't come with the FULL Xpipe. I want an Xpipe that comes with piping from the bottom of the exhaust manifold to the axle-back.
http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-2...04-c5-z06.aspx

I want to replace this entire assembly with high flow cats that will retain a decent stock sound vehicle. I want to get by with saying I have stock exhaust if I want to. Here is a picture of the assembly I wish to replace. I'd also like there to be an extra bung on it for a wideband.

I am spraying the car, so I've heard I will clog up the stock flowing cats pretty good and want to avoid that. Not interesting in upgrading the exhaust manifolds or axleback. Just want the x-pipe tailor made to my likings. Anyone on here have any suggestions or links to FULL Xpipes I could consider?

Thanks in advance,
-Hippo
Old 04-11-2012, 01:15 PM
FuglyHippo
Racer

Bump?
Old 04-11-2012, 05:02 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have only seen complete bolt on X pipes for headers. the other X-pipes are designed to replace after the cats so you would need to cut the stock H-pipe and clamp/weld this on to the stock cats. Im supprised i have not found a full bolt on kit from flange to flange as well.... any venders make something like this? I would think there would be a few out there that could be bolted on in someones driveway in a couple hours.... I would also be interested in one Flange to flange for stock manifolds/mufflers with Magnaflow cats... Altho i hear the stock cats flow pretty well already so i wouldnt be affraid to take it in and have it welded up to stock cats (which looks like the only option without headers.

S
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Magnaflow sells the whole setup...it comes in 2 pieces though. The front half will have the high flow cats that bolt up to the manifolds and then the back section is the x-pipe that will bolt up to the mufflers.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:11 AM
DARRYLZO6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a Bassani "slip fit" X-pipe installed on my Z at Mid America. I dont really remember any cutting involved but the install looked easy even though the Z was on a lift. I would look into the Bassani. With the stock titanium exhaust, it has a deeper,throatier sound, but not obnoxious. Sounds a lot more agressive a WOT.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
ipuig
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I want to replace this entire assembly with high flow cats that will retain a decent stock sound vehicle. I want to get by with saying I have stock exhaust if I want to.
Your goals are in conflict, with the HF cats the exhaust system will be louder than the "decent stock sound" level your claim to want. As far as wanting to claim that you have a stock exhaust system with these proposed modifications, that's just juvenile.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:20 AM
FuglyHippo
Racer

Good info, thank you!

I'm actually looking into the LS7/LS9 Exhaust Manifold/H-pipe(X-pipe for LS9) swap. People seem to have great gains from it too.

I can get the whole system (Exhaust manifolds, downpipes, Hpipe or X pipe) for $425 shipped. Debating on whether that is worth the $$ or maybe just wait and get the XSPower Longtubes/Xpipe.

Thanks again!
-Hippo
Old 04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by FuglyHippo
Good info, thank you!

I'm actually looking into the LS7/LS9 Exhaust Manifold/H-pipe(X-pipe for LS9) swap. People seem to have great gains from it too.

I can get the whole system (Exhaust manifolds, downpipes, Hpipe or X pipe) for $425 shipped. Debating on whether that is worth the $$ or maybe just wait and get the XSPower Longtubes/Xpipe.

Thanks again!
-Hippo
If you're not in a strict smog state like me (CA), just do it right with a good set of LT's and x-pipe...this will yield better results that the LS7 stuff retrofitted to your car. Watch for a good used set in the for sale section.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:52 AM
Breze84
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dude just buy a 2.5in Xpipe from Jegs and have the Hpipe cut out and the X welded in... The Xpipe only costs like 50 bucks or something

Get notified of new replies

To X pipe replacement on stock 2002 C5 Z06

Quick Reply: [Z06] X pipe replacement on stock 2002 C5 Z06