2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by FourG63 97GST
Tint is a lil on the pricey side for what it is, but you pay for the skill it requires.
I did get tint from walmart when I tinted a glass door I have (even a simple flat glass door was a pain ), C5 have small windows, so trial an error will be fairly cheap, hopefully you have a FRC too

It's the skill and experience that makes the difference, not the materials as I've seen some really bad tint jobs over the years.

Plus, depending on what you do for a living, it frees up your time to make money doing what you do. I had mine tinted professionally and while I was in the customer lounge area, I was on a netconference doing what I do.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:19 PM
chad3113
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by striped91
Do it yourself. You could make it even easier with a precut film kit if you don't think you have the talent to cut it yourself. I've seen kits that include all of the tools and good instructions. What's the use of modding a car if you pay someone else to do all of the work for you. I've done it on several cars and its a extremely easy.
Encourage him all you like, but do not make it seem like a cake walk. I would use the term "extremely easy" to describe taking a leak without p!ssing on the toilet seat, not window tinting.

Have you ever tinted the hatch on a car before? Ever spliced two pieces of tint? Did you ever heat shrink tint? All of those things are skills learned over time that the OP does not have and a Vette is not a "starter" car. I would hate for the guy to invest the time and money just to have a headache in the end.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:23 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,195 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

I have watched the guy who does my windows.....there is a lot more to it than slapping some tint down...he uses a heat gun to get the tint contoured on the outside first then applies it to the inside...it takes him about 60 minutes and its money well spent and my hatch is done in one piece.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM
striped91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas_Venom
I tint and install clear bras. Paint protection film took me years to get goo at it. Tint is much more difficult as tiny will wrinkle incredibly easily and when it does, it's ruined. It's also has to be heat formed to the glass with a heat gun. You have to go to a school to learn it and then you still only know the basics. So to whoever thought it is a case of being lazy for most people, go have at it and let us know how it works out. Nothing like having a corvette with a ****** tint job. Please post close up pics as well.

You know with your reasoning anyone of us sh ould be able to do open heart surgery... if we weren't to lazy to go to med school. Doesn't mean we should just go out and do it.
Wow, it only took me one try. I must just be one of those folks that just catches on quickly. I really don't mean to offend anyone, I just believe that people should have more trust in their ability to try things for themselves, especially in this case where the OP feels comfortable with the task. Oh...and comparing it to open heart surgury...that's a little bit of a stretch. But I'm confident that most of us could achieve that goal if we put our minds to it. Good luck with learning your next skill.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Texas_Venom
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by striped91
Wow, it only took me one try. I must just be one of those folks that just catches on quickly. I really don't mean to offend anyone, I just believe that people should have more trust in their ability to try things for themselves, especially in this case where the OP feels comfortable with the task. Oh...and comparing it to open heart surgury...that's a little bit of a stretch. But I'm confident that most of us could achieve that goal if we put our minds to it. Good luck with learning your next skill.
No worries. My next skill set will be what I determine it to be. I dont have any desire nor the time to go out and be an expert at everything. I think its great you are trying to be positive reenforcement here but lets keep it real. Tinting the windows on a Corvette is something a lot of tinters (you know the ones who got certified, have trained, and lots of practice doing it) dont like to do. I can go out and tint most vehicles but I am not going to waste my time with the rear window of a Vette. its beyond my skill set.... and would be for ANYONE that doesnt have the experience doing it. It is not something that you can walk up and do no matter how much postive reenforcement you get. I wouldnt attempt to change the internals out and do supercharger build either. That is why there are professionals.

By the way before I got into installing clear bras for a living I launched and flew satellites for a living. I worked on some of the most advanced (highly classified) weapon systems the Air force had to offer. So sure anyone can do anything if they put their minds to it. But it took years of training to get to that level.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05 PM
o2bnkc
Melting Slicks

Received 290 Likes on 202 Posts

You can order precut pieces on fleabay fairly cheap. The side windows are curved so it's a little more difficult than most cars. If you don't like the way it turns out, just have the pros do it. Good luck.

Quick Reply: DIY Window Tinting