Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP rear spoiler install

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 12:59 AM
Forcedvert
Melting Slicks

Received 371 Likes on 318 Posts

I would recommend to anyone that wants a real paint match to have it painted locally by a reputable shop, I don't think it's as easy as paint it the right color, my shop told me there can be more than one tint code! They also had me bring the fuel tank cover for matching just to make sure!
I also had them put it on, a little knowledge goes a long way with something like that.

My Carravaggio fit and tint was perfect!

Just my 2 cents,
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (10-11-2015)
Old 10-11-2015, 09:34 AM
StuzVette
Cherish your Hopes...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by gotz06?
Very easy to install just start from center pull a little backing off the tape once you get it where you want it and slowly pull the rest of the backing off and push down on the spoiler as you go. Just be sure to clean the area real good before you start. My car Is electron blue and the paint matched perfect. But some colors do fade more than others. Good luck!!
Yes
set in place, start center, and pulling the backing from beneath the SLP.

Be sure to pretreat the area where the tape is going to stick...
...then it will stay stuck!

Letting it cure overnight is a good idea too.

Good choice of a nice looking spoiler. It was my choice because it kind of lengthened the look of the rear...

That is prolly my next mod
The following users liked this post:
pdx-vette (10-11-2015)
Old 12-29-2016, 02:07 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by BWF07
I got mine from RPI and it is Torch Red and a perfect match. You will need two people to do it right. The first thing I did was a test fit. Once I had it where it need to be I outlined it with blue painters tape. Follow the instructions on the double sided tape placement and how to remove the paper backing when installing on the car. The only area that I would redo is the one corner. We got the tape a little to close to the outer edge and it is not down flush with the body completely, but it is hard to notice.

I take that that these spoilers are pre-painted? This is exactly the style for type of spoiler I am looking for for my Navy Blue Metallic 1999 C5. Where did you buy the spoiler?
Old 12-29-2016, 02:11 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ALLEGRO
You want to take your time and install it correctly.

I suggest experimening with where you put the tape on the spoiler. I moved it inward (front and back) so that from a horizontal angle you cannot see the grey tape. It also sits much more flush to the body.

I have seen some very poorly installed, very ugly. Hope yours goes great.

The spoiler looks great on your Vette. Hard to believe the installation is done with double sided tape. Very nice work indeed. Where did you buy the spoiler? I am looking for one just like it.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:56 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Forcedvert
I would recommend to anyone that wants a real paint match to have it painted locally by a reputable shop, I don't think it's as easy as paint it the right color, my shop told me there can be more than one tint code! They also had me bring the fuel tank cover for matching just to make sure!
I also had them put it on, a little knowledge goes a long way with something like that.

My Carravaggio fit and tint was perfect!

Just my 2 cents,
I called around to ask about these body accessories and my local shop said the same thing. My local guy said that not all these types of parts are created equally and that often there are lack of surface prep that shows up as unevenness in the paint surface on some pre-painted spoilers and it might be better to buy one un-painted and have the part prepped and painted by your shop.

I am shopping for a spoiler currently for installation for the coming 2017 Mid-Western USA summer driving season.

Quick Reply: SLP rear spoiler install