Corvette Top Guys

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 PM
kris6868
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pic from the site you posted...
http://www.convertibletopguys.com/co...rolet-Corvette

Look like they just took a pic of a black vette with a OEM vert top an just posted it there on there site.. Hope this isnt true but you never know..
Old 06-27-2012, 10:43 AM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad to hear you got the refund. The fact that you used AMEX is the only reason you recieved the refund. Had you paid by check, echeck or debit card you would have been stuck with it. They make you jump through a few hoops but at least they were fair about it and saw the credit was justified. Thank you for sharing this experience and I'll be sure to steer clear of CTG / M&T.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MUST READ..... I PROMISE IT THIS WORTH THE READ..... BUYER BEWARE... Corvette Top Guys or M&T Manufacturing will try anything. I just want to update everyone and WARN who ever will benefit.

FAST FORWARD. It has been over 6 months since I returned the top I bought from CTG / M&T Manufacturing. On December 27, 2012 I receive this email from the "SNOTTY ACTING" Jane from M&T Manufacturing.

If the top is not returned to us we will be filing fraud charges with American Express and your local police department. Please call to make arrangements for the return

800-999-2892 If we do not here from you today we will assume you are not returning and will file the necessary paperwork for an arrest warrant

Jane Sh****n

M & T Manufacturing
30 Hopkins Lane
South Kingstown RI 02879
401-789-0472
401-789-5650

To be honest I was fully expecting this type behavior from this organization and prepared accordingly.

So I copied AMEX and the person I assume was her boss to my reply...

Hello Mrs. Sh****n,

I must say I am not shocked by the receipt of your email. The fact that you waited till now does not surprise me either. Somehow I knew you would try this so I made sure I took every step necessary to cover my butt and to verify return and protection of your asset.

The top in question was shipped to you via FEDEX on June 20, 2012. On that day You, Mr St*** and AMEX were notified of shipping methods and tracking info.(Email included below) I included the email correspondence, order number and information and AMEX dispute resolution in the box with the top. I also added insurance at my own expense to make sure you were covered in the event something happened during transport. Ever step was taken to return your top to the address provided by Mr St*** and noted below.

I have checked with FEDEX and they confirm that the top was delivered on June 25, 2012 at 2:37PM. As an added security I also placed a signature requirement on the package. FEDEX states that P Johnson accepted delivery and signed for the package. Tracking # is 468399815160437

On the day of shipment, I took several photos of the top being boxed up and documents stated above. I took those photos with FEDEX Center Manager B**** P****** and will gladly share them with you if you like. OR if you want contact MR P****** yourself. I am sure he will remember the event and the extra steps I took to insure WE were covered in the event something like this happened.

I am not sure what else you expect from me. But let me tell you what I expect from you. Some level of professionalism! I expect you to take the info I provided back in June and again now and follow up.

And since you are accustomed to placing time constraints on peoples reply I am sure you would not mind doing the same. I expect a response from you or someone in your organization today.

The ball is in your court now.......

Regards,
Don

Shortly afterwards I received....

Don

My apologies for this mistake. This was sent to you by mistake, this was actually another customer.

Again my apologies for this

Jane Sh****n

M & T Manufacturing
30 Hopkins Lane
South Kingstown RI 02879
401-789-0472
401-789-5650

So lets see.... She contacts me at my email, which is my full name, with threats. Referenced my order number perfectly. Mentions AMEX. But then apologizes for mistakenly sending to me. UNBELIEVABLE.

I hope my experience with these people will get around to others. Buyer beware.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:33 PM
VETTEV
Instructor

Thanks for the post... I will definitely avoid this vendor in the future!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
stockC5
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll be avoiding this vendor, thank's for the info.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks very similar to the way the C6 tops are made. The C6's all have rubber around the rear Window.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:32 PM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

It's amazing how you can just get 'that feel' when you know you'd better dot all the i's and cross all the t's cause you just know, they're gonna try to pull something. Good on ya for going above and beyond with the CYA. Yea, they'll try to backpedal now, but if you hadn't been prepared, you'd be get'n bent over right now.

Does my heart good to see people like this get what's coming to em. And I don't mean not getting their money back, I mean getting great advertising like this below.

I got my top from Corvette America. Wasn't thrilled with any of the help with the install, (or total lack thereof). Both they and the top manufacturer were worthless when it came to customer support. But the top has been fine once I got it installed.

Originally Posted by texcoonazz
MUST READ..... I PROMISE IT THIS WORTH THE READ..... BUYER BEWARE... Corvette Top Guys or M&T Manufacturing will try anything. I just want to update everyone and WARN who ever will benefit.

FAST FORWARD. It has been over 6 months since I returned the top I bought from CTG / M&T Manufacturing. On December 27, 2012 I receive this email from the "SNOTTY ACTING" Jane from M&T Manufacturing.

If the top is not returned to us we will be filing fraud charges with American Express and your local police department. Please call to make arrangements for the return

800-999-2892 If we do not here from you today we will assume you are not returning and will file the necessary paperwork for an arrest warrant

Jane Sh****n

M & T Manufacturing
30 Hopkins Lane
South Kingstown RI 02879
401-789-0472
401-789-5650

To be honest I was fully expecting this type behavior from this organization and prepared accordingly.

So I copied AMEX and the person I assume was her boss to my reply...

Hello Mrs. Sh****n,

I must say I am not shocked by the receipt of your email. The fact that you waited till now does not surprise me either. Somehow I knew you would try this so I made sure I took every step necessary to cover my butt and to verify return and protection of your asset.

The top in question was shipped to you via FEDEX on June 20, 2012. On that day You, Mr St*** and AMEX were notified of shipping methods and tracking info.(Email included below) I included the email correspondence, order number and information and AMEX dispute resolution in the box with the top. I also added insurance at my own expense to make sure you were covered in the event something happened during transport. Ever step was taken to return your top to the address provided by Mr St*** and noted below.

I have checked with FEDEX and they confirm that the top was delivered on June 25, 2012 at 2:37PM. As an added security I also placed a signature requirement on the package. FEDEX states that P Johnson accepted delivery and signed for the package. Tracking # is 468399815160437

On the day of shipment, I took several photos of the top being boxed up and documents stated above. I took those photos with FEDEX Center Manager B**** P****** and will gladly share them with you if you like. OR if you want contact MR P****** yourself. I am sure he will remember the event and the extra steps I took to insure WE were covered in the event something like this happened.

I am not sure what else you expect from me. But let me tell you what I expect from you. Some level of professionalism! I expect you to take the info I provided back in June and again now and follow up.

And since you are accustomed to placing time constraints on peoples reply I am sure you would not mind doing the same. I expect a response from you or someone in your organization today.

The ball is in your court now.......

Regards,
Don

Shortly afterwards I received....

Don

My apologies for this mistake. This was sent to you by mistake, this was actually another customer.

Again my apologies for this

Jane Sh****n

M & T Manufacturing
30 Hopkins Lane
South Kingstown RI 02879
401-789-0472
401-789-5650

So lets see.... She contacts me at my email, which is my full name, with threats. Referenced my order number perfectly. Mentions AMEX. But then apologizes for mistakenly sending to me. UNBELIEVABLE.

I hope my experience with these people will get around to others. Buyer beware.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:37 AM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

After this experience I ended up getting my top installed at Stitches here on the west side of Houston. Cost me about twice as much but worth it for the ease of mind. I am not sure where they bought the canvas from but the top comes with life time warranty on everything. Total guaranty that the window will not separate. And it looks just like the factory top. NO PLASTIC / RUBBER ring around the window.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:33 PM
68hemi
Race Director

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,934 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by texcoonazz
Thought I would provide an update.

My first dispute via AMEX did not go well. Probably because I did not provide enough information or supporting documents.

Round two. I provided tons of photos taken directly from Convertible Top Guys site and tons of additional supporting info for my dispute. The end result is I received a full refund.

I don't think it would be fair to say I won but I was awarded a full refund. Basically AMEX resubmitted all the new stuff and waited for a response. CTG / M&T was given a set time to respond and failed to do so. As a result AMEX refunded me my money. I do not think AMEX did anything great. I personally believe CTG / M&T deliberately allowed the dead line to lapse and defaulted. Kinda saying OK you win but we don't agree.

So I send CTG an email telling them I have received a full credit and asking where to send the top. To this I receive the following response with AMEX Dispute Center Copied -

"Donald
Since this was not a return we will provide all information to your card company to stop the dispute. We will provide all ordering information along with tracking and copies of this email stating you had not returned the items.
Since you did not contact us for a return you would not have recoourse for providing false information to the card company.
Jane"

I replied stating I have already received credit and only need to know where to send the top. By the time I hit send I get another email from what was probably a manager stating they mis understood my email and provided me with a return address. I returned via FEDEX on my nickel and insured for full value.

So what did I learn?
Only do business with RECOMMENDED companies and only after seeing their product first hand. ESP if making your purchase online.
When making a dispute gather all the photos and info you can and hit them with both barrels the first time.
Don't expect AMEX to do anything more than relay info back and forth between you and the vendor. From my experience they are not going to get involved and/or make a decision.
And Finally ... Never Give Up!!

I realize this is an old thread but it just goes to show that these old threads ARE of value as I too will be avoiding this company.

I am currently doing research to purchase a cloth top for my 1957 and found a link to this thread when looking at Convertible Top Guys. I am glad I read this thread and will add that I would have asked CTGs for a return shipping label for the return of the top and certainly not paid to return this product. What are they going to do? You got your money refunded and if they wanted their top returned they would be paying for it.

Last edited by 68hemi; 12-30-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:45 PM
Hank Mills
Cruising

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
It sounds like you'll get no satisfaction from Convertible Top Guys. See what AMEX will do for you. Maybe they'll get you a full refund without the restocking fee if you can prove that what you received isn't what they show online. Customer service like what CTG exhibits will take its toll on future sales once word spreads.
If you recover your money and/or decide to go with a different vendor, try Robbins. That's where my top will be coming from in the near future. Good luck with your predicament.
Thanks for the tip
This seals it for me. Will need a new top for my 04 this year'. P I s s off one forum vette guy and you won't get a call from me.
Old 01-01-2018, 03:35 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

What I can add, and it isn't much.

Been following top construction since I noticed the rubber surround appearing on the c6. In checking it out at the time, it seems all the constructors also went this way on C5 tops, improving the durability of the rear window adhesion.

I was bummed because it didn't look as good, and people , in time the Robbins top company brought back the old look, saying they had found a better way to attach the glass, in response to customer requests. According to their website.

I dig that company, from the old days when I stopped by the shop. It was convertible guy heaven, with more installation bays than I had seen in a shop llke this, with manufacturing in the back, and on top, the place was multi story and took up the block. A far cry from the usual couple or one guy hanging around a sewing machine, with a table and chairs.

The rest is fiction, and negative. I guess I need attention, and am willing to get dirty for it.

It would seem convertible top guys staff might not know anything beyond model numbers, and since they verified they sent you the correct number, having zero idea about the correct product the number is supposed to identify, got all power mad, like a rent a cop with keys .

They probably were told that they sell every cover for every need, there are no other solutions than what they sell, or better tops. Then they go answer phones for cheap money, If they were trained at all. Training cost money, just ask down at the fast food stand. One of the main reasons they use order by number instead of identifying food by name is training , they use as little as possible, often none.

Last edited by strand rider; 01-01-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Top Guys