Corvette Top Guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 10:41 AM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Corvette Top Guys

TITLE SHOULD READ CONVERTIBLE TOP GUYS as in CONVERTIBLETOPGUYS.COM

Need help, advice and/or direction. I ordered a replacement top for my 98 from Corvette Top Guys and I am not happy with what I received or how they answered my call or concerns. My whole issue lies with a plastic piece they have around the rear window. It really stands out and detracts from the clean lines of this car. I returned to their site to see if they show or mention this plastic piece, thinking I just missed it some how. Luckily there is a photo of a black 98 C5 convertible for me to reference. I had to download the photo and look at the rear window under magnification but was able to see that the one in the pic does not have the plastic piece around the the exterior of the window. I call them up and quickly learned how this it going to go. They told me I ordered a top for a 98 Corvette Convertible and that is what I got. I tell them I am not happy with the plastic piece or its appearance. They say... You got what you ordered and that the photo online is not clear enough to determine if there is a plastic piece or not. I was a little shocked at their response and informed them that I was able to download and magnify to the point where I could clearly see that there was no plastic piece in the photo they show online. They restated I got what I ordered, told me they did not want to argue with me and hung up. I call back, get another customer service lady. She tells me in almost the same verbiage.... you got what you ordered. They offer a return goods authorization and inform me there will be a 20% restock fee + shipping. Basically I am looking at having to pay $150 idiot tax?!?! At this point I have contacted AMEX and asked them to help but not confident this is going to go well at all.

Any thoughts, advice or experiences?

Last edited by texcoonazz; 04-20-2012 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

It sounds like you'll get no satisfaction from Convertible Top Guys. See what AMEX will do for you. Maybe they'll get you a full refund without the restocking fee if you can prove that what you received isn't what they show online. Customer service like what CTG exhibits will take its toll on future sales once word spreads.
If you recover your money and/or decide to go with a different vendor, try Robbins. That's where my top will be coming from in the near future. Good luck with your predicament.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:04 PM
dadaroo
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 226 Posts

If AMEX can't help, suggest you return and eat the restocking fee. I would not settle for something less than want you want. Make sure you take pictures so any other vendor can see what you don't want.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:26 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Here are a few pics of the plastic piece. I have never seen anything like this and not sure what it's purpose is. Just feel like it would detract from the appearance.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck with your credit card. Hope they help you out with this obviously non-customer oriented vendor.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:34 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Good luck with your credit card. Hope they help you out with this obviously non-customer oriented vendor.
and for what it's worth, i wouldn't put that top on my 04 convertible. it's certainly not like the OEM top and just plain ugly in my opinion. if push came to shove, i would take the idiot tax as you called it and just chalk it up to a life lesson. i would also make certain that i let anyone who would listen to me know about the poor treatment you received from this particular vendor and the poor representation of their product. just a guess here, but i would be willing to bet you weren't the first one to complain about the "trim" which prompted their defensive posture regarding this issue.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Vettmann17
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As long as you can provide AMEX with proof that the photo is different from what you got then you should have no problem. Thanks for sharing your experience with this vendor, I'll remember the name and stay away from them if I ever need anything. AMEX is usually very good in resolving disputes, please let us know how this turns out.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:07 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe it will last longer than the GM design?? Many posts about the rear window falling out-looks much more industrial strength.
Only time I have the top up is if I get caught in a storm.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:41 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dougbfresh
Maybe it will last longer than the GM design?? Many posts about the rear window falling out-looks much more industrial strength.
When I first opened the box and saw the plastic trim I also thought this may be the case. When I flipped the top over to view the cabin side I was surprised to see the window being held in solely by adhesives. After seeing this I gently lifted the edge of the plastic trim and found that the reason for the trim was to cover sewing machine stitches and the frayed edges where they cut the canvas for the window. Basically they cut the whole out for the window, sewed the three layers of canvas around the parameter of the whole, attached the window from the cabin side and stuck the plastic trim around the exterior to hide the cut out work and sewing.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by texcoonazz; 04-20-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dougbfresh

Well I have to eat my words on the post above. Your statement is in fact what they have done. The window is glued to the plastic and the plastic is stuck thru the hole to hold it in place. Industrial strength and INDUSTRIAL LOOKING to boot.

Last edited by texcoonazz; 01-15-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

That is downright unsightly! And you're right - that trim piece isn't on their website, pic of the black '98. I wouldn't be happy with this either. Good luck and keep us posted on how this works out for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Default Convertible Top Guys

Originally Posted by c5vetteguy
That is downright unsightly! And you're right - that trim piece isn't on their website, pic of the black '98. I wouldn't be happy with this either. Good luck and keep us posted on how this works out for you.

Thanks for the input. Helps me re affirm, at least in my mind, that this is not something I should consider installing on my car.

For everyone else I just realized I titled this topic Corvette Top Guys instead of Convertible Top Guys. Their website is http://www.convertibletopguys.com/co...rolet-Corvette. The Black 98 Vette referenced is best seen at the bottom of the page.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM
jol
Melting Slicks

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a thought...this is exactly why all of us should ONLY deal with Corvette Forum vendors. I really believe they take care of us better when they know we're from CF. Hope it works out for you.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:15 PM
El original
Melting Slicks

Received 201 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree totally with you. it is a primitive attempt at cutting corners, and looks like crap! Try to reverse the charges with AMEX, in most all cases they are on YOUR side and this is the best recourse. ------So pressure AMEX that this is not the product you ordered.---- Good luck, Rob
Old 04-21-2012, 12:07 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by texcoonazz
Well I have to eat my words on the post above. Your statement is in fact what they have done. The window is glued to the plastic and the plastic is stuck thru the whole to hold it in place. Industrial strength and INDUSTRIAL LOOKING to boot.
Think my buddies Jaguar is like this from the factory-don't see what the big deal is, might be a big improvement since I know I've seen other tops done like this on other cars.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:30 AM
-98-z28-darkness-
Instructor

pretty sure you can call the better business bureau, its false advertising their picture looks like a oem style top,
so i do believe if you shove you will get a refund does not sound like its gonna be easy tho
Old 05-05-2012, 07:13 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Thought I would give everyone an update. AMEX first shot at resolving this was totally USELESS.... I submitted a dispute with AMEX citing false advertisement, product not as ordered, etc. Today I learn they closed the claim. When I called to find out why they said .... M&T Mfg (Convertible Top Guys) provided me with the top I ordered. I ordered a top for a 98 vette and thats what they sent. That I was offered and rejected an RMA to return the top. That they would provide an RMA if I was willing to accept the 20% restock fee and eat the shipping both ways. Basically they are repeating what Convertible Top Guys told me and told them. I told AMEX that I ALREADY GOT THIS LINE from CTG and expected a little more from AMEX. I re opened the dispute and asked them where I could send photos to help show what I am having issues with. They gave me a link to upload photos and additional supporting documents.... So here we go again with AMEX.. Round TWO.

Now I am taking this to the BBB. See what kind of help they can provide. What A PIA.....

BUYER BEWARE...... CONVERTIBLE TOP GUYS do not give two hoots about appearance or customer service.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Top Guys

Old 05-05-2012, 07:24 PM
Bailout13500
Racer

Best of luck...but i agree there is no way in hell that "Vette in a bubble" looking top would go on my Verte!
Old 06-26-2012, 09:42 PM
texcoonazz
Heel & Toe

Thought I would provide an update.

My first dispute via AMEX did not go well. Probably because I did not provide enough information or supporting documents.

Round two. I provided tons of photos taken directly from Convertible Top Guys site and tons of additional supporting info for my dispute. The end result is I received a full refund.

I don't think it would be fair to say I won but I was awarded a full refund. Basically AMEX resubmitted all the new stuff and waited for a response. CTG / M&T was given a set time to respond and failed to do so. As a result AMEX refunded me my money. I do not think AMEX did anything great. I personally believe CTG / M&T deliberately allowed the dead line to lapse and defaulted. Kinda saying OK you win but we don't agree.

So I send CTG an email telling them I have received a full credit and asking where to send the top. To this I receive the following response with AMEX Dispute Center Copied -

"Donald
Since this was not a return we will provide all information to your card company to stop the dispute. We will provide all ordering information along with tracking and copies of this email stating you had not returned the items.
Since you did not contact us for a return you would not have recoourse for providing false information to the card company.
Jane"

I replied stating I have already received credit and only need to know where to send the top. By the time I hit send I get another email from what was probably a manager stating they mis understood my email and provided me with a return address. I returned via FEDEX on my nickel and insured for full value.

So what did I learn?
Only do business with RECOMMENDED companies and only after seeing their product first hand. ESP if making your purchase online.
When making a dispute gather all the photos and info you can and hit them with both barrels the first time.
Don't expect AMEX to do anything more than relay info back and forth between you and the vendor. From my experience they are not going to get involved and/or make a decision.
And Finally ... Never Give Up!!
The following users liked this post:
Hank Mills (01-01-2018)
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Glad you had rsolution, it is such a shame that so much time and energy is wasted.
If only the vendor was resonable and honorable.....hard to find those guys these days, thankfully the forum vendors I have dealt with have been stand up folks!

Quick Reply: Corvette Top Guys