Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight aiming/adjusting help???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Default Headlight aiming/adjusting help???

Hoping that someone on here can help a fella out. I wanted to adjust/aim my headlights better but apparently the adjustment screw is froze/seized and I can't get them to budge. I tried some searching and didn't find anything that helps. Actually, I think that one of them is completely broke off and the other side is seized...there is only an extended metal "screw" adjustor on the drivers side. IF it would help I can remove the shrouds and take pics but that may take a couple of days. ANY suggestions or ideas on how I can get these to loosen up? Thanks In Advance.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:56 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Those long 'screws' do tend to both seize up and break easily. the other bad news is that you can not buy the individual pieces from GM.
it's likely your best bet is to go to the parts for sale section and see if anyone has a couple of these pieces that are usable.

If you just replaced a bulb, there is a likelyhood you did not get the bulb inserted straight and the light is pointing incorrrectly. Make sure the bulb is snapped into place right...

Just a thought, if yu just replace a headlight bulb, and did not get it inserted straight it will be pointed wrong. Rechack the fit, there are two tabs that must be in the correct postion. If you installed incorrectly the light will be pointed down...

Last edited by Phanni; 04-30-2012 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 PM
mre1974
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 186 Posts

Thanks for the information...I was afraid that I would not be able to get those replacements without replacing the whole unit...sounds like that's what it will entail. FML. I replaced the OEM lens with a set of ACA projectors last fall but I wanted to fine tune/readjust them. If it's not one thing it's another lately.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Take the whole headlight out and then the rod assembly and grease it and you shouldnt have any issues. you could try PB blaster. Search "Golden Rod" there is a how to on it.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The rod assembly is metal set in plastic. If its broken then its a unit repalcement. Heres the How To I posted a while ago. The pics may help decide if you can refurb the "golden rod".

Aiming Stock Headlights

Preparation

Chose a white wall to project the lights onto
Mark a vertical centreline on the screen in line with the center of the car (black tape?)
(look over the roof of the car to get the line)

Measure the height from the floor to the center of the headlight capsule
Mark a horizontal aiming line on the screen

Measure the distance between the centreline of the right headlight module and the center of the left headlight module.
Position the vertical tapes this distance to the right and left of the screen centreline

Lubricate the adjustment screws before adjusting See Note

Adjustments

Raise the hood
Raise the headlights
Remove the headlamp adjustment screw plug
Turn on the low beam headlights and block the light from projecting onto the screen from the passenger headlight

Check the horizontal aim

Adjust the horizontal aim adjusting screw to align the left edge of the high intensity zone with the headlight vertical centreline
The left edge of the beam should lie within 4” to the left and 4” to the right
of the vertical centreline.

Check the vertical aim

Adjust the vertical aim adjusting screw to align the top edge of the high intensity zone with the headlight horizontal centreline
The left edge of the beam should lie within 2” above and 2.5” below the lamp horizontal centreline.

Reinstall the headlamp adjustment screw plug

Repeat for the other headlight

Turn off the lights and close the hood

This is the pattern you're looking for

Advice Frome LonestarFRC:

Lubrication may not be enough. The problem is that the spray can't actually penetrate to where it's needed. There's a little internal gear-drive mechanism involved.

Important! If you attempt to make any adjustments, especially one involving the up/down adjuster and it doesn't move, or you meet a lot of resistance, stop right there. Do NOT attempt to force things. You will ABSOLUTELY break the long "goldenrod' (gold colored rod about 3" long). This is not an "if" or "maybe". Do NOT force it by twisting your wrench/nut-driver harder and harder. Once broken, these pieces are NOT available as a separate repair piece from GM. They will only sell you the entire headlight assembly.

If yours are frozen up, do a search on this issue. Many many posts about it. "Goldenrods" is one if the terms that may be helpful when doing a search. There IS a way to unfreeze the gear-drive mechanism but it involves removal of the headlight assembly to get access.

(Thanks to Junkman2008 for the picture)
Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 PM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by mre1974
Thanks for the information...I was afraid that I would not be able to get those replacements without replacing the whole unit...sounds like that's what it will entail. FML. I replaced the OEM lens with a set of ACA projectors last fall but I wanted to fine tune/readjust them. If it's not one thing it's another lately.
Well if thats the case then you know how to remove the body covers and even the buckets if necessary. Im sure with easy access you could either get them to move or rig something that will allow you to make some adjustment without replacing the whole thing if you had to

Good luck
Old 09-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Tech4882
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This may be covered elseware and I apologize for any duplication (I'm new). I just repaired my broken golden rod headlight adjuster on my '01. It was broken off flush with the gear housing.

I removed the gear box and disassembled it. It's all plastic except for the positioning screw and one of the bevel gears. I removed the metal bevel gear and drilled a hole through the center of it the same diameter as the golden rod shaft, inserted the broken shaft in the hole and drilled and pinned it on the gear. Greased and reassembled the gear box and reinstalled it. Seems to work fine now. Sorry I didn't take any pictures. I will on the next go round - the passenger side is frozen also.

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight aiming/adjusting help???

Quick Reply: Headlight aiming/adjusting help???