Sponsored by:

[Z06] Keeping C5Z company...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:19 PM
corvetteandsilverado
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
How much does a nice LS1 powered 4th gen cost these days? Over $10K?
I really depends I got lucky I picked my up with 62k on it for 8,400 but I've been offered more then that for it. The problem is finding one that has had the crap beat out of it. If you have the patience you can find a nice one
Old 05-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Grimlock
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteandsilverado
I really depends I got lucky I picked my up with 62k on it for 8,400 but I've been offered more then that for it. The problem is finding one that has had the crap beat out of it. If you have the patience you can find a nice one

Wow, that is a pretty darn good value. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 2nd car lately, and I've been actually leaning towards a Miata since they are dirt cheap, fun and reliable. But an F-body would definitely be a bit more fun.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:33 PM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 0H1Z06
Picked up a 2000 Firehawk.. Not the Typical Trans am..

Originally Posted by Dave_2003_TRZ06
Great minds think alike!!!! I love the firehawk! I picked this up last Tuesday, it is going to be more of DD car for me so I can keep the miles of the C5Z06. Anything done to the Firehawk?

Very nice rides fellas. Two great F-Bodys
Old 05-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Thats BS the SS hood flows more efficient air into the lid on the camaro also the hood is considerably lighter then a Z28. Also the SS had a more free flowing exhaust from the factory, but besides that the main difference is appearance. Now there were a few more differences between the SLP optioned cars compared to the other factory options, which varied from suspension mods to lid, and MAF.
Correct, except about the MAF and exhaust. Well, the exhaust was an option but there was no option for a different MAF. Most SSs had the optional exhausts, but I've seen a handful which didn't.

Except for about 100 LT4-powered 4th Gen Camaros (and a very limited number of Firehawks), the differences in performance were pretty minimal. A Z28 with a CAI and a catback could surpass a stock SS on a dyno. I think the OP's friend was just pointing out that the ram air found on the SSs was mostly for looks. However, the 4th gen SSs were never underpowered when compared to a Z28.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
corvetteandsilverado
Pro

Originally Posted by Grimlock
Wow, that is a pretty darn good value. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a 2nd car lately, and I've been actually leaning towards a Miata since they are dirt cheap, fun and reliable. But an F-body would definitely be a bit more fun.
Put a v8 in that Miata and I'm sure it would be a blast lol.. I've owned a couple of F-bodies and they are alot of fun, my M6 is averaging 21mpg right now which is better then the 17 my diesels been getting.

I was starting to feel like my Z was slow and getting the mod bug again then I got this car and it makes my Zo6 feel like a rocket lol, but they are great cars to DD
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM
corvetteandsilverado
Pro

Originally Posted by Tech
Correct, except about the MAF and exhaust. Well, the exhaust was an option but there was no option for a different MAF. Most SSs had the optional exhausts, but I've seen a handful which didn't.

Except for about 100 LT4-powered 4th Gen Camaros (and a very limited number of Firehawks), the differences in performance were pretty minimal. A Z28 with a CAI and a catback could surpass a stock SS on a dyno. I think the OP's friend was just pointing out that the ram air found on the SSs was mostly for looks. However, the 4th gen SSs were never underpowered when compared to a Z28.
My best friends has a 2002 SS SOM SLP car M6 and the only "SLP options" on the car where the CME (center mount exhaust), SLP lid and it came with a SLP MAF. None of the M6 cars got the suspension option from SLP, they were only offered on the A4 cars. The CME exhaust is one of the most sort after mods for gen 4 cars do to the fact they quick making the rear bumper molding.

I didnt know that there were gen 4s with the LT4! thats good information I bet those cars are extremely rare
Old 05-14-2012, 04:50 PM
b.lee
Burning Brakes

Ya, thats a really good deal!
I sold my last 1998 z28 auto for $5000 with 123k miles
Old 05-14-2012, 06:06 PM
Tech
Safety Car

My best friends has a 2002 SS SOM SLP car M6 and the only "SLP options" on the car where the CME (center mount exhaust), SLP lid and it came with a SLP MAF. None of the M6 cars got the suspension option from SLP, they were only offered on the A4 cars. The CME exhaust is one of the most sort after mods for gen 4 cars do to the fact they quick making the rear bumper molding.

I didnt know that there were gen 4s with the LT4! thats good information I bet those cars are extremely rare
Unfortunately, your friend may have been misinformed or misled you. SLP sells a MAF but it was never an option for SS car from the factory. Have your buddy look on the passenger door. It will show the SLP options there.

I'm afraid the suspension information is a bit out of whack too, my friend. There were 3 levels of suspension offered from 96-02 Camaro SSs. The only suspension that had _any_ limitation to the drivetrain was the Level 3 suspension offered only on the LT4 cars.

CME is certainly sought-after. I have a few friends with it and they love it (same muffer as the "dual dual" system but they have the rear valance and centered cast aluminum tips). Blackwing air lid is also sought after by collectors (not to be confused with the aftermarket lid SLP sells with a white "SLP" logo on it).
Old 05-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

Unfortunately, your friend may have been misinformed or misled you. SLP sells a MAF but it was never an option for SS car from the factory. Have your buddy look on the passenger door. It will show the SLP options there.

I'm afraid the suspension information is a bit out of whack too, my friend. There were 3 levels of suspension offered from 96-02 Camaro SSs. The only suspension that had _any_ limitation to the drivetrain was the Level 3 suspension offered only on the LT4 cars.

CME is certainly sought-after. I have a few friends with it and they love it (same muffer as the "dual dual" system but they have the rear valance and centered cast aluminum tips). Blackwing air lid is also sought after by collectors (not to be confused with the aftermarket lid SLP sells with a white "SLP" logo on it).

That blackwing lid is definitely a hot ticket item! I see used ones still selling for 300-350 bucks on LS1tech!
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by Dave_2003_TRZ06
I had a 99 and added the same grille
Old 05-14-2012, 06:59 PM
corvetteandsilverado
Pro

I talked him and your correct about the MAF that was added by the first owner, but the rest was slp. There where limits on the suspension options for m6s cars they didn't get the lowering options like the a4 I will post up the link later
Old 05-14-2012, 07:15 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

cool rides!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Tech
Safety Car

I talked him and your correct about the MAF that was added by the first owner, but the rest was slp. There where limits on the suspension options for m6s cars they didn't get the lowering options like the a4 I will post up the link later
Unfortunately, SLP doesn't publish these numbers on their website. I know they keep them though.
http://www.camarossregistry.com/options/1314.html

Here is an example of an M6 car with the Level 2 suspension.
http://www.camarossregistry.com/car/4900.html

While I don't consider that website the only authority on 4th generation Camaro SSs, it seems to coincide with my own recollection. I've obsessed over those cars since I first laid eyes on them in magazines in 1995.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:53 PM
jbs02somws6
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bought a stock 2002 ws6 m6 back in 2004. It dyno'd 316 rwhp 332 rwtq bone stock. 323rwhp with slp air lid, and 328rwhp and 343 rwtq, once I added corsa exhaust all on stock tune fwiw. This was on the same dynojet SAE corrected. Nice Hawk btw.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

nice rides boys...another fan here, had an 02 WS6 TA-great car(sorry, no digital pictures)

this is what keeps my Z company now...(I know, a ford)

Last edited by Boba Fett; 05-14-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 AM
Laser Guided
Drifting

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by bobafett
nice rides boys...another fan here, had an 02 WS6 TA-great car(sorry, no digital pictures)

this is what keeps my Z company now...(I know, a ford)
No worries. I love cobras
Old 05-15-2012, 01:50 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Laser Guided
No worries. I love cobras
(especially terminators)

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping C5Z company...

Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

short clip of my DD at idle

http://youtu.be/2q_Y-11NS4g
Old 05-15-2012, 03:09 PM
thechosenone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dave_2003_trz06
short clip of my dd at idle

http://youtu.be/2q_y-11ns4g
trex!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Dave_2003_TRZ06
Racer

I was afraid this would be too much cam for this car. Previous owner had this cam installed and swore up and down it drove well, he was right! The tuner really did a great job making it drivable, hell it still has the 3.42s out back and drives fine. There is some surging at real low speed, but it is predictable and avoidable in most cases. I have a set of 4.10s waiting to go in. I like this cam so much may throw one in the C5Z06, which should scream as the Z06 is much lighter and has the aggressive MN12 transmission

Quick Reply: [Z06] Keeping C5Z company...