Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] When properly lowering how low is to low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Titan22
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default When properly lowering how low is to low?

I'm going to lower my Z and wonder were you really start having problems? I've purchased a set of Pfadt feather lights coilovers which come from the factory set about 3/4" lower then stock. I have 17s and 18s on the car it its a weekend driver.

Thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3/4 is about right. Thats what mine did on stock bolts.rides a little stiffer but not bad.you might want to invest in frame sliders.speed bumps and driveways will get annoying.but worth the new look
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

You can go lower than 3/4" with coilovers and still get a great driving experience. Guys who lower their cars with the bolts are losing suspension travel, thus it's usually a harsher ride. That's not true with coilovers. You're just threading the shock body up and down, and you retain full suspension travel and rebound. I had a corvette race shop do my install and corner weighting, and they dropped the car about 1.75". Rides great, corners greater, and I have yet to rub or hit any curbs. I bought frame savers and rocker rails to be safe though.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:22 PM
MStrahan
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just lowered mine Z down about 1 3/4 on PFADT SA coil overs and couldn't be more pleased. I scrap the air dam in the front occasionally but it's made to be scrapped across things since it is spring loaded and bounces right back.
Depending on how stiff of a ride you like the suggested number of adjustment clicks for the street may be too bouncy. I ended up stiffening mine up 7 clicks past the street recommendation on the front and 6 up from the street recommendation on the rears. You certainly feel the road but it's not harsh, just stiff.
Good luck with the install. You'll love the suspension afterwards.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:45 AM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts

...more than 3/4''!

Old 05-30-2012, 10:20 AM
ZEE-OH-6
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have coil overs and have it dropped around 1-1/2", rides & looks GREAT !

What I have been told by guys who track their cars is if you go no more than 1" from stock the car's suspension will function as designed and handle it's best. If you go further than 1" the suspension geometry becomes compromised even with coil overs and will not handle its best.

I don't track my car ...

Last edited by ZEE-OH-6; 05-30-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Nosferatu333
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEE-OH-6
I have coil overs and have it dropped around 1-1/2", rides & looks GREAT !

What I have been told by guys who track there cars is if you go no more than 1" from stock the car's suspension will function as designed and handle it's best. If you go further than 1" the suspension geometry becomes compromised even with coil overs and will not handle its best.

I don't track my car ...

probably my fav post ever.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're running our FeatherLight Singles we would recommend running about where you've got the car now for best handling. The ground to top of fender height measurement is the easiest to take, and for a C5 we like to see the car about 26.7 in the front and 27.6 in the rear. This is a nice combination of aggressive looks and handling. You do however have the option of going lower if you wanted too.

If you're not using coilovers however we don't recommend you lower the car more than is mechanically possible with the factory lowering bolts. Just as mentioned above the lower you move with the factory bolts the more suspension travel you dial out. One of the key advantages to moving to coilovers is more ride height flexibility without compromising ride quality or performance.

As always, if you're making changes to your cars ride height you will need to get an alignment afterwards!
Old 05-31-2012, 02:42 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

Dear Pfadt, please send me some development coilovers at a highly discounted cost so I can beat the crap out of them on the racetrack, while on a budget...thank you.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:38 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

When is lowering too low and a bump steer kit is needed ?
Old 06-01-2012, 09:15 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

According to the video that came with my '03 Z when new, it tells you that it is recommended to lower about 1" for better handling. I've got my car lowered to the max on stock bolts with the front bushings cut in half. It's been like this for several years now with no adverse affects as far as I'm concerned. Rides and handles great, with Bilstein Sports BTW, scrapes frequently (I don't care) just be careful. I've got at least a 1" drop but it looks more than that compared to other cars. Mine might have been lower to begin with. It seeems to vary from car to car stock. Some look much higher than mine started out stock, almost like a 4x4 Vette. A friend's Z was a lot higher than mine stock. I also had an excellent alignment done by Phoenix Automotive in PA, steering is amazing. They have quite a bit of experience racing and winning with Corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To When properly lowering how low is to low?

Quick Reply: [Z06] When properly lowering how low is to low?