Sponsored by:

c5 vert with salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default c5 vert with salvage title

Hey guys, what is a 99 vert with all the options with 6 speed worth? A dealer has it and showed me the before pictures and damage was not that bad but air bags blew. It is black with tan top,clean inside with good paint. Mileage is 33,000. I think I could by it for $16,000.Is that to much? How hard would it be to sell later on with this title and how much does it affect the value? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM
michael c. volpe
Pro

you could probably buy one without a salvage title for less than that.
miles may be more than 33,000 but it will be a hell of a lot easier to sell with a clear title.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:34 PM
onebadeagle
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Default High

Price way to high for salvage title, Run while you can.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:45 PM
04blackice
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nooo dont. I got a clean 04 z 58,000 for 19,000
Old 07-09-2012, 04:52 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dont know why the hell these cars go for so high with salvaged titles. It really pisses me off when I see that.

I wouldnt touch a car with a salvaged tile. It is never going to sell for sh**, and will not be good for a trade in. The carzy bastards want as much as a clean tile car is worth most the time. Spit in his face and walk away.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM
garysc5
Intermediate

Default Salvage Title--No

Too much for salvaged title. I have a 2000 Pewter Vert with some upgrades asking only $17,000. Good luck, and as onebadeagle said "RUN" from that one, too much $$$. If you are interested in mine let me know. I will deliver if needed.

Last edited by garysc5; 07-09-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:07 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NukeC5
I dont know why the hell these cars go for so high with salvaged titles. It really pisses me off when I see that.

I wouldnt touch a car with a salvaged tile. It is never going to sell for sh**, and will not be good for a trade in. The carzy bastards want as much as a clean tile car is worth most the time. Spit in his face and walk away.

Well I don't know why they go so high BEFORE they are fixed either but they do. I paid 9 grand for mine wrecked. Shoulda been around 7 but got in a war with one other bidder.

Not just Vettes either. Some say it's because they get shipped out of the country where they could care less about paperwork. Whatever the reason, salvage vehicles go for a lot of money. I don't have a clue how auto wreckers make a living seeing what salvage goes for.

I don't understand the anger here. You don't want a salvage car.. don't buy it. Spit in his face? You serious? Last time I checked it was a free country. Too much... don't buy it. You don't want it ...don't buy it. This Pisses you off ? Maybe anger management is in order.

Last week I sold a reconstructed title 05 GP for $5500 that retailed for $9850. Older couple and they were tickled pink. Would I try for 16k on my 99 Vette..probably not. But I didn't buy it as a flipper either.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

16K for a 99 with a Salvage title...... As they said in "Usesd Cars" Too %^&^$ High"

I wouldn't buy a C5 with a salvage title at all. Not my bag...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by NukeC5

Spit in his face, Are you serious?
That statement is really childish.
Mr.Bill
Old 07-09-2012, 07:54 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Ronnie wilkins
Hey guys, what is a 99 vert with all the options with 6 speed worth? A dealer has it and showed me the before pictures and damage was not that bad but air bags blew. It is black with tan top,clean inside with good paint. Mileage is 33,000. I think I could by it for $16,000.Is that to much? How hard would it be to sell later on with this title and how much does it affect the value? Any help would be appreciated.
Thats's a 19/20,000 dollar car with a clean title in my neck of the woods. I sure don't know where these guys are finding a vert for 16,000 cause I haven't seen any around here with low miles anywhere near that price. It might be a bit on the high side because of the branded title. A couple things to ponder. Some financing places won't loan on a salvage car, and check your insurance before going any farther. Even if you plan on paying cash your insurance carrier may not want it. If that's all good then find a place that does vettes and have them inspect the car. Make sure everything works that's on the car, and check the codes before your test drive and after. Then negoisiate. Verts are a blast to drive. By the way I was offered 16,000 for my 99 last summer and turned it down, and it has 140,000+ miles.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
NukeC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fendermender
Well I don't know why they go so high BEFORE they are fixed either but they do. I paid 9 grand for mine wrecked. Shoulda been around 7 but got in a war with one other bidder.

Not just Vettes either. Some say it's because they get shipped out of the country where they could care less about paperwork. Whatever the reason, salvage vehicles go for a lot of money. I don't have a clue how auto wreckers make a living seeing what salvage goes for.

I don't understand the anger here. You don't want a salvage car.. don't buy it. Spit in his face? You serious? Last time I checked it was a free country. Too much... don't buy it. You don't want it ...don't buy it. This Pisses you off ? Maybe anger management is in order.

Last week I sold a reconstructed title 05 GP for $5500 that retailed for $9850. Older couple and they were tickled pink. Would I try for 16k on my 99 Vette..probably not. But I didn't buy it as a flipper either.
Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
Spit in his face, Are you serious?
That statement is really childish.
Mr.Bill
It was meant as a figue of speech more or less. Calm down guys. The price is ****ing rape. Thats all there is too it. Robbers screwing people who dont know what they are looking at. Way to stick up for that kind of behavior, patriots.

Last edited by NukeC5; 07-09-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Wouldn't touch a car with a salvage title for any price.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,286 Likes on 13,962 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I personally would not buy a car with a salvage title unless I (1) planned to keep it forever or (2) was going to make a race car out of it. Just too hard to eventually sell it again with a checkered history. And yes, I do think that is too high for a '99 with a salvage title.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:46 AM
Ronnie wilkins
Racer

I agree with most of the post as far as resell, thats what concerned me most. If I planned on keeping it forever or racing maybe. I was just wondering what were the rules on salvage cars
as far as percentage of one with a clear title. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
Comandante
1st Gear

i suppose you can find something better, thouhg salvage. i bought my corvette for less money. where did you find that dealer? it doesn't seem to me a great deal, in fact.

Last edited by Comandante; 06-14-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:47 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ronnie wilkins
I agree with most of the post as far as resell, thats what concerned me most. If I planned on keeping it forever or racing maybe. I was just wondering what were the rules on salvage cars
as far as percentage of one with a clear title. Thanks.

There are no set rules or formulas. I sold the GP previously mentioned for about what NADA sets as "rough trade in"...bottom book price. The mileage add on stays the same across the board. With the car you descibed, the mileage is worth 6 grand by itself. Rough trade in is $14500. I'd say that would be a fair price with the R title IMO. The fact he has documentation of the damage is a plus. So many times I see cars advertised and they just say R-Title with no explanation of what was done.

I probably have around 12-13 in mine not counting labor. Some of that didn't have to do with the wreck such as a new clutch and wheels/tires.
If I ever have to sell it, I wouldn't take less than 10 grand. Anything less and I'd just part it out.

Rebuilt cars are not for eveyone. Heck some Corvette people figure the car is junk if it gets so much as a scratch on a fender. But I will say that when I'm driving down the road and heads turn to look, that piece of paper doesn't mean a thing to me.

Last edited by fendermender; 07-10-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by Comandante
i suppose you can find something better, thouhg salvage. i bought my corvette for less money here http://www.easyexport.us/salvage/CHE...ETTE/for-sale/. where did you find that dealer? it doesn't seem to me a great deal, in fact.
http://www.easyexport.us/cars-for-sa...VETTE_17859072
Take a look at this one, and look at what the insurance co. says acv is. Pretty close to the asking price is here.

A reconstruted title wouldn't bother me if it were done right, and I could buy it right. I use my car, don't let it sit in the garage looking pretty. Even having a less than perfect vette, is better than having NO vette.

Last edited by 92GA; 07-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To c5 vert with salvage title

Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM
fendermender
Drifting

Originally Posted by 92GA
http://www.easyexport.us/cars-for-sa...VETTE_17859072
Take a look at this one, and look at what the insurance co. says acv is. Pretty close to the asking price is here.

Actual Cash Value (ACV) is likely what the insurance paid out to the owner. Has little to do with with what it sells for as salvage. Copart often lists ACV and estimated repair costs as a sales gimmick.

This Easy Export is obviously a broker/exporter listing Copart and other auctions. One of the the reasons the price on this stuff gets nuts. Someone in Mexico or Brazil gets a Corvette and the paperwork means little if anything to them.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
fendermender
Drifting

A reconstruted title wouldn't bother me if it were done right, and I could buy it right. I use my car, don't let it sit in the garage looking pretty. Even having a less than perfect vette, is better than having NO vette.[/QUOTE]

Exactly! You want an investment...R Title not for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:35 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Mr. Bill is correct. Run, Forrest! Run! $6000 tops for 99 salvaged Vette, --------------maybe on a day of heavy drinking. You can bring it home and say to the wife, as you stumble through the front door, "Look, honey! I got a hell of a deal on this Vette." Not!

Last edited by rkhegler; 07-10-2012 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: c5 vert with salvage title